Flu Vaccinations

Options
tillytop
tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
edited 24. Sep 2010, 03:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Did anybody else read the article in the paper the other day stating that the swine flu vaccine is to be combined with the seasonal flu vaccine? The article (link below) says that the reason for this is to stop people being able to opt out of the swine flu vaccination. How very dare they?!!!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8012092/Swine-flu-vaccine-to-be-included-in-winter-flu-jab.html

Given the safety concerns which have been highlighted about the swine flu vaccine, which has led to some countries suspending their swine flu vaccination programe, I had decided, as I did last year, not to have the SF vaccination. I do however want to have the normal flu vaccine and I think it's outrageous that the choice will be taken away! It feels very "big-brother ish" to me.

I know this is going to sound cynical but could this be because the government has so much of the SF vaccine left over because it over-ordered last year?

Interested to hear your thoughts (I'm not a consipiracy theorist, honest!).

Tilly xx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Tilly!

I like that d050.gif

bet they have got a vat-load left over.

can you buy it at the chemist instead?

love

Toni xx
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    i also dont agree with the swine flu jab being added to the normal jab, what happened to freedom of choice. it will back fire because more people will refuse the flu jab altogether and then we will have even more ill or sadly dying over the winter from flu. or is this the dark side of there plan?

i have to question there motives im afraid.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I saw this too, but I wouldn't have thought that any made last year would have lasted this long!!! :shock: :x but you never know! If worried I'd ask my GP, its the sort of thing you could ask over the phone, (may save embarressment! :oops: ) Its better to ask, than sit at home afterwards and feel that you are waiting for something to happen. That would be me. If I had a sore big toe, I'd go into a panic and think it was an after effect!!! :mrgreen:

Seriously, I did wonder if it was getting rid of the left-overs, when I saw it in the paper. Also people should be able to say if they don't want the swine flu vac, but do need the ordinary one. Love Sue
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 22. Sep 2010, 06:15
    Options
    [/url]Sorry, posted in the wrong place :oops: :oops: :lol:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi Sue

You chase it up girl - it's more frightening when you dont know I think - fear of the unknown :(

Dont want to get lost in the system - mind you you have a lovely GP dont you?

LOve

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I read that and thought 'Hurrah - only one jab required instead of three.' I think this confirms I live in a different world to everyone else. Ho-hum. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    Options
    Thanks Toni, Coco, Sue and DD for your replies.

Good idea Toni re the chemist. Might chat to them to ask if they will have any "non SF ones". From what I have read this new plan was to be implemented immediately so maybe not, but worth an ask...

I just feel so strongly that people should have a choice - we have enough potentially evil drugs to take as it is, and I think that this is another example of the "nanny state" telling us what is good for us.

Right, will put the hobby horse away for now.

Sue - really hope you get on well at the docs today. Will be thinking of you.

Love Tilly xxx
  • gocat1
    gocat1 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Oh no I had the flu jab on Monday. Hope it wasnt the combined one. Surely the nurse would have had to have told me first. All she said was do you want the flu jab (I had gone to see her about something else) and I thought may as well while Im here.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I read that and thought 'Hurrah - only one jab required instead of three.' I think this confirms I live in a different world to everyone else. Ho-hum. DD

I'm with you there DD :wink: rather one than three! Maybe we both inhabit the same place :wink:

I only read this after being given a flu jab this morning :shock: but I am fairly sure it was just the seasonal one on it's own, but didn't know to ask then :roll:
  • tillytop
    Options
    Thank gocat and wonky for your posts.

Maybe it is just the seasonal flu jab this year - I really hope so, but certainly the information I saw from back in July, stated that the decision to combine them was imminent. It's not so much that "they" plan to combine it that bothers me, more the fact that someone has decided that people aren't up to making the appropriate decisions about their health so someone else has to do it for them. GRRRRR. Sorry, the hobby horse escaped there again for a min. Back in the cupboard now thanks to a bucket of Cris's sheep nuts!

As you say, hopefully if it was a joint one you would have been told because, even if you want to have it, you need to know what you are being given!

Tillyxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    wonky, welcome to my world! It's quite a nice place. I feel cheered now, and not so alone. :D DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Swine flu is one of four strains combined in this year's flu
    jab. Two others are Freemantle and Perth and I've forgot
    the fourth.
    I've opted for this as a way of getting some protection from
    swine flu.
  • tillytop
    Options
    Thanks ichabod for the info - would be interested to know where you found this info so I could find it and print it off.

I don't want anyone to think I am ungrateful not wanting the SF jab, just that, having recently come out the other side of a two year long nasty experience with a prescription drug, I'm very wary of anything which might make me poorly again.

Love Tilly xxx
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    I have got to be honest i would rather have one jab than two/three. I had both done last year after much discussion with my GP. e
    I have asthma so the risk are too high to not have the jabs. All i had was a very sore arm for a couple of days but i think it is worth it I must admit they should give people the choice. Fingers crossed i can get my done before i get my first chest infection.
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    Options
    I have just had my first blood test whilst on methatrexate, The nurse looked up my file and said "Your eligable for Flu and Pneumonia" nothing much said about the swine flu vaccine, although I did see it on my file. The nurse actually mixed both of my flu and swine flu, and next week i need a booster.

I felt like a pin cushion !!!!

Mark
  • tillytop
    Options
    Thanks Lupin and Mark (or should I say pincushion!) for your replies.

Lupin, hope you get yours done soon.

Mark - hope your metho will work for you. Your nurse sounds on the ball - I have to fight for my seasonal flu jab every year!

Tilly xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Morning tillytop

Just popping in to say hello really.

I must say I don't think I would mind if they gave me a mix of sf and ordinary fl . It would only mean one trip to docs instead of three but i also agree with you that you should have the choice.

That time of year again how time flies.

Hope you are feeling fine today. Have a good weekend

JuliePF x
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi Julie

"hello" to you too and thanks for your message. You're right that time flies - can't believe it's flu jab season again already!

I'm doing fine today thanks and hope you are managing to keep your chin up and your pf feathers fluffy!

Hope you have a good weekend too Julie.

Love Tilly xxx