Scan Result (MRI)

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 23. Sep 2010, 17:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, I've just got back from the doctor's and she told me the result of my MRI. The scan was of my SI joints and pelvis. The scan showed much to our surprise, a cyst in my pelvis. The Rheummy has referred me on to Gyne I suppose, for an ultrasound scan, I think she said. The only thing is that 25 years ago I had my womb and overies removed. Ever since then I've been on HRT. My doctor is going to phone the rheummy consultant to see if it is still neccassery. At least it didn't show RA.

Of course, the first thing I did when I got home was to look it up on the internet and it seems you can have a pelvic bone cyst :( Of course no prizes for guessing what I'm thinking now, I do get pain in that region, but put it down to scar tissue and such like. Oh why do I have something else to worry about now! I'll try not to think about it and my doctor thinks their may be a mistake and I don't need another scan. Fingers crossed. Just thought I'd let you know. I don't feel scared at the moment, which does surpise me, just tired and their may be nothing to worry about. Love Sue

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue
    Sorry you are worried about the results. I have been thinking about it and wondered if the cyst could be bone cyst as in OA? As you have had a hysterectomy and removal of ovaries , I would have thought it unlikely to be gynae, but obviously I do not know your medical history, or am not an expert by any means!
    I hope you get some answers soon xxx
    NB
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi yes, I think you're right. I can't really see how, after 25 years, gynea can be an option. I think I'll have to try and stop this silly self diagnosis. After all it could be nothing, just a miss read of the scan, so its silly to worry now. It just feels a bit strange and I'd like to have it sorted out like, tomorrow. Patience is NOT my middle name :D Love Sue
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Sue

Easier said that done I know, but please try not to worry. I am a real worry wort so I do understand! T'interweb is a scary place sometimes and easy to diagnose yourself with all sorts of things you would probably never have thought of otherwise. When I am tempted to do this, I always remember the passage in the book "Three Men in a Boat" where the chap gets engrossed in reading a medical dictionary and decides he has every possible ailment other than housemaids' knee!

If your GP now has a copy of the letter from the rheumatologist (I'm guessing he does othewise he wouldn't have been able to share the results with you) can you requeset a copy so you know exactly what your rheumy had said, and what/to whom you are being referred? It sounds from your post as if you are not completely sure so this might help to set your mind at rest just a bit. Have you discussed with the GP your thoughts about it being unlikely to be a gynae problem after all this time? Also, perhaps your GP can find out how long the ultrasound appt will take to come through - hopefully you won't have to wait long.

Thinking of you.

Love Tilly xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Cysts are very common and can occur anywhere in the human body. There are various causes behind them, including having an inlfammatory condition - like us! They can be filled with air, fluid or even semi-solid matter and they are not necessarily malignent. Panic not, woodbon, tho that is easier said than done, I know: I had one that weighed nearly 4 kilos - I didn't even know it was there - I just thought I was fat! You have been referred to gynae, probably, as they deal specifically with that area (with or without the constituent parts) and they would be familiar with pelvic cysts. That's my take on it anyway, but, like nb, I am not a doc! I'm sure all will be OK and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi Sue

Oh no poor you!

I know how much you worry - I totally understand, but am sure sure sure that all will be well for you.

I agree with Tilly that you could go back to GP to check what they are looking for/at. If you think this will stop you worrying.

I also think DD's explanation of cysts was great - an idiot's guide so to speak! Even I understood :shock:

I wish I could take the worry off you and keep it with me till your appointment Sue

Love

Toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi woodbon

I keep typing a message and then keep rubbing it out SO

I am just going to send you a hug instead (((((()))) there! how you feel now?

juliepf x
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi Thank you for being so kind. My GP is going to get in touch with the consultant and try and find out what they think is going on. She had to letters one from the registrar and one from the consultant. They didn't give me much information ( read them on screen) at all. I they want to me to have an ultra sound scan, I think. But she said it needs sorting out as its unclear and then she'll phone me.

I'm not too worried, just wondering what they'll think of next! This time I was sure they would just say osteo arthritis, which is what the consultant thought. Anyway, I'll let you know when I find something out. Love Sue
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sue
    I'm sorry you are worried but thats the first thing I did when the radiographer [sp?] gave me unofficial rusults of the MRI...came home and googled it.
    Like you patience isnt my middle name and I'm sitting watching that phone and waiting for it to ring to get an official diagnosis.
    It would be silly of me to say dont worry 'cause thats what I'm doing...so just hope you hear something soon

Love
    Hileena
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi Heleena, and everyone, I know, I think most people are the same, well except for my husband, who, according to him thinks its a waste of time! Thats what he says, but, I know he does worry but won't admit it!!!

I feel frustrated too, I just thought it would be simple. Ha ha, not in this life. The other frustrating thing is that although shes fantastic and I wouldn't change her for the world, my GP only works 3 days a week so that limits the amount of time she has to chase things up. I'd try myself, but the consultant I last saw wasn't very friendly, to put it mildly, so I'd rather keep my head down at the moment!!!! :shock: :wink: Love Sue
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

I hope you get an answer with regards to this cyst soon. It's not knowing that makes one nervous.

Sending you some cyber hugs and I hope you get an answer very soon.

With regards
    Sharmaine
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Sue, one consultant said to me once that he stopped referring his patients for scans as they always found things that would never bother the patient in their lifetime but caused more investigations and interventions and worry too. Maybe your cyst is one such thing. I hope it turns out to be so.
    xx
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi thankyou all so much. I am not too worried now as I think I would have heard from the hospital with an another appointment much quicker! At least I hope I would! I have had endometrosis which caused my total hystorectomy and that causes cysts in the abdominal cavity but, my GP discounted any tissue or scarring from that at 25 years! Love Sue xx