2 great appointments :D

Options
clairc
clairc Member Posts: 90
edited 27. Sep 2010, 17:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi!

I'm finally home after my grand tour of hospitals, I'm completely shattered but the appointments went really well so it was definately worth it!

The gynae in Sheffield wants to do a sub-total hysterectomy, I'm booked to have a scan next week and I'll go back to see her for a pre-op appointment and hopefully have the surgery in November or December.

The rheumy appointment in Norwich went well too. I didn't see Dr Merry initially but I explained the doctor that I'd come to see him and after she examined me she called him in to see me. He asked about my history, examined me and said he thought I had Palindromic Rheumatism. He said it's not practical for me to be treated at Norwich given that it's 3 hours away from home so he discharged me and is going to write to my GP to get a local rheumy to put me on a trial of hydroxychloroquine, and if that doesn't work methotrexate.

I don't think I could have hoped for better appointments. It's going to be a long road but hopefully things will start to get better soon :D

Thank you for all your support, you've bee absolutely brilliant. Couldn't have done it without you! (((hugs)))

Clair

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Clair :)

I am so pleased to hear that your appointments went well - I love hearing good news. :D:D It makes such a difference doesn't it, when you are not made to feel like a number on a long list, to be got rid of, as quickly as possible, but a a , support and help.

It may be a long road but at least you have started on it, feeling much more positive with those "in the know", looking after you.We should feel confident when with those that are trying to help us and be able to work with them as a team.

I wish you well, do let us know how you go on,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Clair, that is great news - now you have the treatment plans in place, you can rest up and recover from your travels and pre-travel planning.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Oh Clair I am so pleased for you that the appointments were worth it!

So sorry that you need to have a hysterectomy but if it sorts out the pain you have been having then that has got to be a good thing.

In terms of the rheumatology - glad you have a diagnosis and a planned way forward.

Hope all was well at home in your absence and that you can have a well deserved rest this evening.

Well done with moving this forward Clair!

Lots love Tilly xxx
  • sillyswede
    sillyswede Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Excellent news Clair!!! I'm so pleased that you've finally been heard and that you're starting the treatment. :D x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    This is sounding better! I am pleased for you and I hope you are feeling more optimistic about it all. Sleep well in your own bed - lovely! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    That's brilliant Clair! Pity that it's taken so long (and you've had to travel so far!) for you to get some answers though ..

Best wishes

Marion
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Hi Clair I was on the Hydroxystuff @15 years ago and I belive it worked wonders for me seemed to stop it in it's tracks, I still have the ocasional flare up and am usually prescribed a weeks Prednisolone which seems to do the trick, my main problems now are caused by a combination of accident and OA/operation. Hope the Hydroxy works for you.

Hope you are not too tired to sleep tonight!
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    Hi Clairc

I am really glad that you have had 2 really positive appointments, does it make such a difference when you are listened to and a positive treatment plan is put together. I hope your GP will do as the consultant as said.

Take care and I hope this is the where things will really start to improve for you.

Rest up now - it take so much out of you emotionally and physically.

Fayann xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's a few days later now, how are you? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi Clair

Sorry I missed this at the time. I am so pleased all has gone well for you and hope you are getting on ok?

Love

Toni xx
  • clairc
    clairc Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Hi!

I'm hanging in there! The arthritis is still flaring moderately and I'm still wiped out from all the travelling but I'm not doing too bad considering.

I went back to Sheffield today to have an ultrasound scan to see what state my insides are in before I go back to see the gynae to schedule a hysterectomy. I was a bit surprised at the results. A doctor did the scan, he said nothing had changed since I had an MRI 2 years ago but he did say that I hadn't emptied my bladder fully and that could be causing me some problems. He's going to tell my gynae what he found and I have to wait for them to send me another appointment through so we can discuss where to go from there.

I was tired when I got home and my knee started to hurt but it got worse and spread up my leg and then the severe pain in my right side started up again. I took 2 tramadol but they didn't touch it.Thankfully the pain gradually went away over the next 2 hours.

I don't know if my GP has got the letter from the rheumy yet. I tried to phone the surgery today but the phone was always engaged. My PA said the computer system went down on Friday so I don't know if they're having trouble with the phones too. I'm anxious to get things moving but it looks like I'll be kept waiting a little longer.

On a happier note my husband and I are going away on our own this weekend for the first time in 10 years. We celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary a couple of weeks ago and we wanted to do something special so we've booked into a nice little hotel in Castle Donington and we're going to visit the museum at Donington Park. We're both massive petrol heads and it will be nice to spend some time enjoying the cars without having to chase after the kids.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi clair :D

sorry I've missed your posts :oops: but was pleased to read at last you've been given a diagnosis by the rheummy. :wink: hope you don't have to wait too long before being seen locally and start on the new meds..... and that they help control the arther.

bit of a mixed result from the MRI.... good that there's no changes but will the bladder symptoms hold back the surgery?

hope it all comes together for you Clair.. you've had such a hard time over months. :!: :| and deserve some positives.

speaking of which... Congratulations on your anniversary! and I hope you have a lovely time away in Donnington (especially without kids!). :wink:

Iris xxxx
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I had a total hysterectomy last october and its the best thing I've ever had done, I would always recomend a total Hysterectomy as when they did path tests on my cervix they found cells were changing and as my next smear was not for 3 years time it could have been awlful news for me, they removed my womb full of fibroids weighing in at 10lb 2oz phew,
    I do hope they get your health worrys sorted it can make you feel so down and wiped out, good luck and be strong