Bins

Options
tonesp
tonesp Member Posts: 844
edited 28. Sep 2010, 13:08 in Community Chit-chat archive
I,ve been reading the controversy over bin emptying in the Uk How do you cope with them being emptied once a fortnight Here we take the rubbish to dumpsters at the end of the road They are emptied 4 times a week.Somtimes that's not enough :roll:

Comments

• daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    tonesp wrote:
    I,ve been reading the controversy over bin emptying in the Uk How do you cope with them being emptied once a fortnight Here we take the rubbish to dumpsters at the end of the road They are emptied 4 times a week.Somtimes that's not enough :roll:
    hi. It's generally ok but only if you recycle glass/plastic/papers and tins.
    If you don't recycle then the bins don't last a fortnight
    :|:|
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    we have two big bins and never get to much rubbish not often full even though there 4 of us.
    but do break up boxes before putting in, blue bin half empty and due today do not take stuff to recycle places as do not have a car and it to far away for me to carry it all.
    val
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    We have to sort our rubbish and then it's 'dirty' bin one week and 'recycled' rubbish the next week. We are technically visited by the bin men once a week still but it's a different bin - if you see what I mean.

How many households put into your dumpsters - surely that makes a big difference to the regularity in which they're emptied?

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's never been a problem. The black bin (general household rubbish) is never full now, thanks to the blue bin (recycling). I have never had flies in my black bin (apparently a common complaint) and the blue bin is easy to cope with: cardboard etc is torn up, cans crushed, it's not a problem in anyway. My council does not do glass so I still have to traipse to the supermarket to get rid of jars etc, but then I always have. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    we hardly ever fill up the rubbish bin but we still have a weekly collection....admittedly we often only remember to put it out fortnightly anyway. The only thing that would have been unpleasant fortnightly was my son's baby nappies, in the summer they stank to high heaven after a day or so in the sun. Making sitting in our back yard impossible.

Recycling is fortnightly and is always full to bursting, everything comes with so much packaging these days. Its even worse when you rely on internet shopping, where the overpacking is ridiculous....I ordered a two pack of stacking boxes for my sons toys they came in 2 separate cardboard boxes twice the size of the box that was in them and surrounded by air cushions :?: they were plastic boxes, soooo fragile :roll:

Our biggest problem is remembering to put the damn things out... they have ridiculously stringent rules on when and where you put them.
    you must put them out the morning of the collection (they come at 6.45 here, so you've got to be early) and take them back in before the end of the day and they must go on the pavement of the back lane by your gate....however they seem to be allowed to return them halfway up the road!!!

It causes us no end of problems as I can't open the gate or put them out if they are full, and my hubby often works nights - those weeks we just have to miss out or put them out at the wrong times and risk the wrath of the council.....I'm on my 7th warning letter :oops:
    Chrissie
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    We recycle ours we sort out the paper things and cardboard. Then tin cans in another and glass things into another large bin.

They come down and empty it every day as a lot of people use them. So we don't have a problem.

Trish xx
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    My black bin gets emptied once aweek but only need to take it to the front one a fortnight. Blue bin is once a month but that is going soon and will be replaced with boxes :roll: one for paper (no card board) one for glass one for plastic and one for tins. I also have a green bin for gardening cr@p. Where all these new boxes are going to go I have no idea, and how I'm supposed to carry them is a mystery. AS for plastic if you look on the bottom there is a triangle with a number in it if its recycable but the numbers have to match. :shock: just how many boxes I will end with :? me mind boggles :roll:

Jules
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    We do have dumpsters here for recycling glass card and plastic.It seems that the problem in the UK is not as bad as the press paints it :roll:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Tone

When I was on hols in France they did em twice a week.

Our bins are quite big and we have three

one for recycling glass plastic paper card

one for green waste - gartden waste or food waste that you dont compost

and the last which is for bagged normal rubbish.

We manage fine even though we are a family of five :D

Lucky you :D

Love

Toni xx
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    babycham wrote:
    Which bin is it tomorrow ???????Choice of 5and a small green thingy :? :? :? :? :? Help B/C :?

I had a small green thingy once........

But I got help for it.....

Rob x a045.gif
    Roba045.gif
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    we have once a week emptying. in spain the bins stink because of the heat so just as well they empty them so much. holding the laptop battery in one hand so excuse lack of capitols as typing with one hand.

e x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein