Help - advice needed for post op new knee!

Options
harebell
harebell Member Posts: 2
edited 23. Sep 2010, 11:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everybody, this is the first time I have 'chatted' but I am booked in for a knee replacement on 10 Nov. and am scared! Has anyone any practical tips for afterwards, I live with my husband and 27 year old son but usually organise them! So time for a change I think but I would welcome practical tips. thanks Pat

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Harebell and welcome,

general tips would be - fill the freezer with microwave/pre-cooked dinners that can be heated up. Rearrange kitchen etc so that things you use all the time are easily accessible, think about which clothes are easy to put on after a knee op - especially in the early days when your leg will be swollen. Plan your recovery area - so you can have everything to hand. Do your shopping online. Ensure you have enough ice packs for you knee.

Read Mjking's sticky thread re operations.

I'm an hip-op person, knee op people will be along with more specific advice.

Good luck, by the way - not long now and you'll be concentrating on your recovery.

SPeedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Harebell
    As Speedy says.....prepare in advance....meals cooked, things at a level you can get at without breaking anyrestrictions they give you
    I'm a "hippy" as well LOL had one hip done in Feb and the other one due in 2 weeks time so just hang about and the knee people will be more specific with what you should organise

Love
    Hileena
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 23. Sep 2010, 07:32
    Options
    Hi Pat

I had my first TKR in February this year and will have another one about the same time next year. Buy yourself a decent icepack because your leg will be swollen for a couple of weeks. I spent the first 3 weeks at home putting on icepacks 3/4 times a day and they really do help. I was still using an icepack 3 months later. You may find it hard getting in and out of bed. For the first week my husband had to help me. Raising my operated leg was virtually impossible for the first two weeks but using the belt of my husband's bath robe and hooking it under my foot I was able to manoevre myself in and of bed/on and off the settee etc.

My tips, therefore, would be:

a. Buy an ice pack (prices between £25 - £30. Get one that will fit comfortably around the knee or on top of the thigh. The hospital gave me one. I found I needed the icepacks on top of my thigh on my foot - my knee etc. Don't be alarmed at the swelling or bruising.
    It will go. I cannot stress how important icing is.

b. Do your physio exercises.

c. They should give you spare dressings, if not ask for a few. It saves having to go to see the nurse at your GP's surgery.

d. For some of the physio exercises I used a small plastic plate that I put on the carpet - it worked a treat.

e. Get your shopping delivered.

f. Prepare meals for freezing.

g. You will feel really tired for the first 3 weeks. I was surprised how tired I was.

h. Wearing a nightdress means the nurses can easily look at your wound/change your dressings.

i. When you're home use vaseline to keep the wound moisturised.

j. I couldn't wear jeans for months. I bought myself a few pairs of tracksuit bottoms with wide legs (make sure they don't have fluffy insides).

k. You'll need to wear the support stockings for about a month (if I remember correctly) so ask for a spare pair at the hospital.

l. I bought a support cushion from (aldi) which was great for elevating my legs in bed and on the settee.

m. You may find sitting uncomfortable. I found lying down easier during the first 2 weeks.

n. You'll be on crutches for a few weeks.

o. If you haven't had the Occupational Therapist around to sort out handrails up the stairs; perching stools; raised toilet seats - you will need one; shower stools etc then give them a ring. I did this about 3 months prior to my op. It really helped.

p. Your leg will feel really heavy after the op. It took me a month to get used to the new joint.

q. Because they have to go through musles/tissues don't be surprised if you lose sensation around the knee area. I have a small match to the side of my knee which has lost sensation.

r. Invest in a pair of bedroom slippers that are will give you support when walking. I abandoned my fluffy slip ons. I found the sheepskin moccasins were good. I bought some from the slipperstore online and they were brilliant.

s. When I started to be more mobile I found that I couldn't wear shoes that were very flat ie flip flops. I've found that I have to have a very well padded sole or a wedge.

t. You will find it really hard to stand and say prepare even a cup of tea for the first 2 weeks or more. I only stopped using my perching stool in June. It was great as it meant I could use it to wash up; prepare food etc.

I do hope this helps and everything goes well for you.

If you have any more questions then please ask.

With regards
    Sharmaine

harebell wrote:
    Hi everybody, this is the first time I have 'chatted' but I am booked in for a knee replacement on 10 Nov. and am scared! Has anyone any practical tips for afterwards, I live with my husband and 27 year old son but usually organise them! So time for a change I think but I would welcome practical tips. thanks Pat
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine
    Before i left the hospital i was given an [dont know how to describe it} long strip of blue platic stuff LOL which i hooked under my foot to help lift me leg up at first......know this was hip but sounds much the same

Love
    Hileena
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Hileena

I hope you're doing well after your hip op. When I go in for the next TKR I'll ask about it. It does help though having something to lift your leg and I wish the hospital I was in had suggested it. They really could do better at post op stuff (QA in Portsmouth). If it wasn't for this site I would have been lost (thanks Elna) when I got home!!!

Regards
    SharmaineXX

hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Sharmaine
    Before i left the hospital i was given an [dont know how to describe it} long strip of blue platic stuff LOL which i hooked under my foot to help lift me leg up at first......know this was hip but sounds much the same

Love
    Hileena
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    HI harebell and welcome i had my tkr end April and what i fount that hellped in the first few weeks was having the bottom of my mattress raised helps the swelling an old pillow or quilt folded up is good also had a memory foam pillow for my knee hope all goes well x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi Harebell

I havent had that op, but think you have ALL the advice you could EVER need thanks to this lot :D

My only advice is to get some good dvds to watch and books to read anything you missed before - box sets even :wink:

Very best of luck

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi there :)

You have had some good information there and I cannot think of anything else, offhand except that you do have to put yourself first, post op, persist with the exercises given by the physio but also lots of resting, with legs elevated which ideally should be level with your heart. Icing is most important as Sharmaine says. It is a major operation as my surgeon kept telling me and it can take 12 - 18 months to get over it completely,ie when you do not think about it at all really. It took me about 9 months. I have had both knees done, two years apart. I wore trackie bottoms for a long time as they are comfortable, easier to do the exercises and get to the knee quickly by pulling the trouser leg up. I found jeans pulled on the scar for a few months, epecially if I rode my bicycle. I got myself an exercise bike, free from Freecycle and I still use it every day, just for 10 minutes. As soon as physio gave me the ok on the exercise bike I was on my own one every day.

Please ask any questions you may think of and I wish you well with it all.
    :)
    Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi harebell

Welcome to forum, I haven't had the tkr op but I wish you luck when you have yours done. I have RA.

Leave a timetable and jobs for hubby and son :lol:
    I am sure they will cope. Let them look after you for a change. :)

JuliePF x
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi Pat

My dad has had TKR last year. We found that to get him a piece of laminate flooring or board to do his exercises after discharge was useful. This was to use the doughnut (the rolled up tubigrip which we were informed to roll up into ring doughnut for his foot to slide onto, making exercises easier). We also made sure he had a thermos type mug, to keep at his bedside, as he always had a dry mouth at night. Another tip if you havent applied for a blue badge, would advise doing so and also put in motion carer's allowance or attendance allowance for the people who are looking after you...Youre entitled to it...

Good luck with the op.......

Elainex
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Pat

I just remembered that I found elevating my mattress helped me sleep more comfortably. My OH put a pillow under the mattress.
    I find sleeping on a memory foam mattress topper helps too as it cushions your joints.

It'll be the winter too when you have your op. Before OH went back to work he would put socks on my feet before he left. When I was on my own I managed with those pink fluffy bedroom socks as they were loose and easy to get on.

He made sure I was comfy - made me breakfast before he left and a flask of tea.

Sharmaine

Hi
    harebell wrote: