My tkr is playing up

Options
bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 26. Sep 2010, 09:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI all, would like your thoughts please for my tkr its nearly 5 months and it is still playing up i have the bend, but there is a stiff discomfort and more pain , and pain relief is not helping i take diclo and parecetamol or cocods but feel no benefit i am off to DRs tomorrow , i was expecting things to be much better and better mobility but its not if anything it is worse , WHY
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Berty

I cannot unfortunately answer your question why you are still in pain but I would suggest that you get referred, by your gp, back to the surgeon who performed your knee operation. It is a perfectly reasonable request to wish to see him for a 6 month check because you have unanswered questions and he is the best person to discuss them with. Another xray may be in order too. It is not unusual to have some pain still, 6 - 12 months on, but from what you say, I understand it is all or most of the time plus mobility problems and I would say that is unusual.

I wish you well with your appointment tomorrow.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Hi Berty

poor you :(

I hope you could maybe have an xray or something or extra physio?

This does seem a long time to be still THIS bad :(

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Berty
    I really hope you get it sorted, like Elna say, the pain does sound quite bad.
    Its always best to get these things checked out.
    Please let us know how you get on.
    Good Luck
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems with your new knee. I had to stop taking co-meds because they didn't deal with the pain. Since my op I've been on Tramadols. Do you take amytriptiline? I still get a bit of stiffness in the operated leg and the odd ache but it soon wears off once I start walking.

You are right to go and see your doctor for better pain relief. I hope you get things sorted soon. It doesn't sound right that your operated leg is worse. Keep in touch and let us know what your doctor says.

Regards
    Sharmaine

bertyboy wrote:
    HI all, would like your thoughts please for my tkr its nearly 5 months and it is still playing up i have the bend, but there is a stiff discomfort and more pain , and pain relief is not helping i take diclo and parecetamol or cocods but feel no benefit i am off to DRs tomorrow , i was expecting things to be much better and better mobility but its not if anything it is worse , WHY
  • bertyboy
    Options
    well i am far from impressed no change of pain relief just that he will write to consultant to see if he will see me sooner while there i ask him why my fingers were locking stiff at times his response was a smirk on his face and the comment of its RUST!!!!!!!!!!!! , ive come away feeling i am a waste of space , when does a DR qualify for being an engineear or a quack , i could swear i really could and thats unusuall for me hay ho onward we go x
  • bertyboy
    Options
    hay ho i will go and get some WD40 and check in for a service and respray :? :shock:
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Berty,
    flippant remarks from docs aren't helpful at all or appropriate and they should know better.

I think you should write/go back to docs and say were not satisfied with his dismissal of your hand problems and that you would like a proper referral.

Not surprised you are annoyed.

Speedy

PS have you had any physio or hydro for your knee - not for function as you say you have achieved the bend but for pain.
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi bertyboy,

Your doc didn't help did he :? and his 'wise crack' was totally misjudged. :roll:

I don't have experience of TKR but coping with a lot of pain at this stage post op replacement needs investigating... so I'm glad at least you've been re- referred to orthos.

meantime you're left struggling on with the pain which isn't so good. :(

is there another doc in the practice you could see?
    maybe there's room for only one 'joker' in the practice and another doc will actually listen a bit closer to what you are saying. :!: :roll: and help with the meds :wink:

Iris xxx
  • bertyboy
    Options
    hI all the physio round here is a bit of a joke , the only hydro you get is a walk in the rain the only thing you get told is keep doing the excersises and keep it moving but surely i am doing this every time i bend it and move and do the stairs i do do more of the stretching ones as given as i believe its an on going thing , i am just fed up of being told by others that they know of others that are older and more mobile after their tkr i really did expect to feel better than it was :shock:
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Bertyboy

Swear away! I would have been fuming! What a nuptie he sounds. It's just not funny when you're suffering in this way. Could you change you GP or phone the hospital?

You are definitely not a waste of space. I am horrified that you were treated this way. It's not right that you have to be in so much pain.

Please contact the hospital yourself never mind waiting for letters to go back and forth. You are the most important person and you are having problems. When you 'phone them don't apologise for disturbing them. Write it all down first and start with the word "I" as it's more assertive. Tell them your problems and say "I cannot possibly wait until 14 Oct - I am in pain - I need help". Make sure you tell them that the medication you are on is totally ineffective. I hope it works and they see you as soon as possible. They work seven days a week - give them a ring today.

Take care and I hope things work out for you. You do not deserve to be in this much pain. When pain is managed we heal better.

Sending you lots and lots of cyber hugs.

Sharmaine
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi berty

Listen to sharmaine Can't add any more

just hope you get to see the right person soon.

JuliePF x ps is the wd40 working :lol: if so i will stock up
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Options
    I am over two years down the line with my TKR and 3years with my THR. Saw my consultant in April my other hip is playing up now but I also have a lot of problems with my new knee. He said time will heel the xrays look good saw them myself. it still doesn't explain why I am still having quite a lot of discomfort and swelling with my knee I still can't bend it properly he said I won't get any more movement in it now.Basically I have exchanged one pain the old knee for a new pain the new knee.By the way my THR is perfect pity about the knee :cry:
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Wendy

I'm sorry to hear about your knee. Have they x rayed it again? I think I've coped so well because I've had the right pain medication and good physio. They never advise you to stregthen your muscles prior to the op and by the time you need the op you can barely walk! Sometimes it's a no win situation.

Keep on at them.

Take care
    Sharmaine

wendgro wrote:
    I am over two years down the line with my TKR and 3years with my THR. Saw my consultant in April my other hip is playing up now but I also have a lot of problems with my new knee. He said time will heel the xrays look good saw them myself. it still doesn't explain why I am still having quite a lot of discomfort and swelling with my knee I still can't bend it properly he said I won't get any more movement in it now.Basically I have exchanged one pain the old knee for a new pain the new knee.By the way my THR is perfect pity about the knee :cry:
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi bertyboy,

how are you feeling today?

Iris xxx
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Bertyboy

How are things going with you today? I've just been telling my OH what's been happening to you.

Take care
    Sharmaine
    bertyboy wrote:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Berty,

I am sorry I am late to this... I know you know I have just about been functioning but I should have posted to you before.

I honestly do think they others are right and you maybe should ask to be seen and find out exactly what is going on.

I don't know much about replacements, i do know ortho surgery can take a very long time to settle but I really think this one nee to be investigated a bit ore than they have so far done. Hopefully its nothing to worry abut. Love and a special knee better draft as well as a ((( ))) Cris xx