Podiatrist insoles - any good?

Options
nanarose
nanarose Member Posts: 117
edited 23. Sep 2010, 10:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
Just back from a long appointment with the hospital podiatrist. I've been told that one of my toes has fused, and that another two have very limited mobility. I feared that was the case, as the diagnosis of my condition, PA, took so long.
I got special insoles made for me to help with troubles in both feet, and have to hand in my shoes to get them stretched.

Can anyone tell me if they find any benefit from wearing these insoles? Although I've just received them, they do seem really uncomfortable, but if they will help, I don't want to give in too easily.

The podiatrist did say that if I couldn't get used to them, I should stop wearing them, and I have another appointment to go back and see her again in 4 weeks. She was lovely and sympathetic too.

Plus, she thinks I now have one leg shorter than the other? Yikes!.... and has referred me to the Arthritis Physio, as my knee appears locked too.

At this rate I will have seen most departments of our local hospital! I wonder if they are doing that BOGOF offer, or should it be SODGAF?
You know the one.....see one doctor, get another free! :):wink:

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Nanarose,

podiatrist insoles work for some and not for others. SInce they change the way you walk and use your feet - they need time to get used to. Did the podiatrist explain about wearing them for a short period and gradually building up? I couldn't even manage the full hour the first few days ... I have them for a different reason to you and they have improved my balance and therefore my gait but I'm not sure one of my knees is going to tolerate the left one - it has started creaking and cracking more and starts to ache if I walk too far. I have to go back in a few weeks for check up/adjustments.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    I have not used them, but my OH has due to having OA in the foot and knee.
    He did try the ones from the chemist, and got some relief, and then had them made for him, he could not believe the difference, it did take a few weeks, but the pain in the foot and knee really improved.
    Apparently, his OA in the knee was caused by a rolling of his foot, so the insoles put a stop to this.
    It took him around 3 weeks to feel a difference.
    Hope this helps a little
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The proper insoles do push the knee back to its correct position, which is one reason why they take a little getting used to. It is worth persevering tho, just do a little and often, gradually building up the time you spend walking on them. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nanarose
    Options
    Thanks peeps! From what you are all saying I think it may be worthwhile persevering with the insoles then.

I've just bought new shoes, and I now have to get them stretched....still I now know what to look for, to keep my feet comfortable, I guess.......although the ones she showed me I wouldn't be seen dead in! I do have some pride left in my appearance! 8)

Saying that, I do live in a pair of crocs, and apparently they are fine, so long as I wear the back straps, and don't use them as flip-flops.

As it's raining cats and dogs today....I wonder if I should switch my footwear to a pair of flippers? :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I too love my Crocs, they do have a good instep bit in their design, but I never use the straps as my toes then get squashed! DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Nanasue

will you let us know how you get on?

My crocs are my 'beloved crocs' too :D

only one problem - they are pink :oops:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have deep pink, pale pink, light mauve, navy blue and pastel blue (tho the last ones ain't proper crocs). I also have croc slippers for the winter. Love 'em. DD
  • nanarose
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Nanasue

will you let us know how you get on?

My crocs are my 'beloved crocs' too :D

only one problem - they are pink :oops:

Ooh I love pink! Got a pink phone, a pink iPod, and lots of pink jewellery too! You would have thought I'd have given pink 'up' at my age.....
    Crocs are the boring navy variety, but next year I'm going to have a few pairs in various colours! :lol:

Next appointment is not for 4 weeks, but I surely will......* rushes off to look at pink crocs*.........
  • nanarose
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I have deep pink, pale pink, light mauve, navy blue and pastel blue (tho the last ones ain't proper crocs). I also have croc slippers for the winter. Love 'em. DD

Wow DD, you must keep the company going all by yourself! My sis in law had the first pair I ever saw, and I hated the look of them, but well a gal's gotta do, what a gal's gotta do, just to get around sometimes!

I draw the line at the 'granny' shoes though. Yes, even though I am admittedly a 'nana', but a young(ish) one! :wink: