Methotrexate, Alcohol & A Girls Weekend Away ??!!

Options
pols090607
pols090607 Bots Posts: 126
edited 25. Sep 2010, 17:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Guys,

I've been on Metho now for 9-10 weeks and the side effects have pretty much wore off now :D and it seems to be kicking in, well it must be as I have cut out most of my daytime painkillers :D

Over the last couple of months I haven't drank alcohol :( but in my purple book thingy it states to keep to 14 units per week.

My question is that I am going on a girlie weekend in a fortnight with a group of friends who let's say, like a good old drink, or two, or three....well - the bottle if I'm honest !!! Haha..

I want to keep up and I want to feel as though I am part of the fun etc but it's as though I feel too scared to let my hair down and can't relax as I am worrying sick about damaging my liver - do you know what I mean ?

I nearly wasn't going but the girls have begged me to still go, I have explained I don't want to be the boring party poop in the corner- this is an annual event we do and it's such a laugh but usually I have a fair few voddies with them but this methotrextae feels like a whole new ball game completley.

Do you think if I miss the dose the previous weekend I will be ok to have a few drinks :?

Thanks in advance. x

Comments

• ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've been on methotrexate for several years now and most
    of the time keep my alcohol intake to a very moderate level.
    When I go on holiday I like a few scoops so cut out the
    methotrexate.
    I've had no effects from doing this and it was actually
    suggested to me by my ra nurse practitioner.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    One week-end won't hurt. Just remember the hangover might be worse on meth (well, it is for me!) Have a lovely time. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Pols
    Sorry I cant comment on the meds, I do have a young friend on MTX and she goes out with her friends, but she doesn't try to keep up with the drinking, but does enjoy a few
    Sorry I don't want to sound like a spoil sport, but you don't want to undo the good the MTX is doing so early on.
    Its is something to look forward to, and will do you good to have a night out.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    you go - have a good time!

We all need a bit of fun while we are young.

me?

I'd have just a few and enjoy being WELL and out and about :)

But if you want to go for it I dont blame you and these guys who knwo seem to reckon it'll be ok too :)

LOve

Toni xx
  • pols090607
    Options
    ichabod6 wrote:
    I've been on methotrexate for several years now and most
    of the time keep my alcohol intake to a very moderate level.
    When I go on holiday I like a few scoops so cut out the
    methotrexate.
    I've had no effects from doing this and it was actually
    suggested to me by my ra nurse practitioner.

:lol: me too usually, so thanks for the advice :)
  • pols090607
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    One week-end won't hurt. Just remember the hangover might be worse on meth (well, it is for me!) Have a lovely time. DD

thanks DD - you always have great advice to offer - haven't missed hangovers at all the last few months !
  • pols090607
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Pols
    Sorry I cant comment on the meds, I do have a young friend on MTX and she goes out with her friends, but she doesn't try to keep up with the drinking, but does enjoy a few
    Sorry I don't want to sound like a spoil sport, but you don't want to undo the good the MTX is doing so early on.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Love
    Barbara xx

Thanks Barbara - no I promise not to go mental but just a little woozy feeling might be nice :wink:
  • pols090607
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    you go - have a good time!

We all need a bit of fun while we are young.

me?

I'd have just a few and enjoy being WELL and out and about :)

But if you want to go for it I dont blame you and these guys who knwo seem to reckon it'll be ok too :)

LOve

Toni xx

Thanks Toni, Yes I am at the mo enjoying not being in a lot of pain, maybe my dancing shoes will come out, :? lol !!!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    pols090607 wrote:
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Pols
    Let us know how it goes.
    Love
    Barbara xx

Thanks Barbara - no I promise not to go mental but just a little woozy feeling might be nice :wink:
    Sorry pols, I do hope you have a good time....I am a worrier :roll: :)
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Hi Pols,

I'm 8 weeks in with taking Methotrexate. During this time, for the first 7 weeks I have felt rather high (as I'm on 3 other drugs too), however, I was warned not to drink alcohol on the same day that I take the drug, but can drink any other time. So following this advice, I have been drinking! Not going nuts though because I have felt rather out of it until recently, however, having a couple of glasses of wine (and making sure that I drank plenty of water before going to bed), I have been absolutely fine. When I went for my MDT clinic 2 weeks ago, the practitioner did also say that it is absolutely fine to drink on Methotrexate just not on the day of taking the drug because it may make you feel really ill the next day. I take my Methotrexate on the Monday so this way I'm guaranteed to enjoy my weekends knowing I can have a glass or 2 of wine with friends.

Have fun!! xx :mrgreen:
  • alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    Options
    ... My post makes me sound like an alcoholic!! Bearing in mind that for the first 4 weeks of taking my drugs I was still bedridden, it's only over the past couple of weeks that I've ventured into indulging a bit of wine (as I'm a social drinker, I never drink alone!), but I don't like to go crazy as I really don't need total drunkenness on top of feeling high! :lol: