off sick again

Options
tjc123
tjc123 Member Posts: 139
edited 14. Oct 2010, 13:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone

I have had to take more time off work.I was only back 3 days & I felt sooo ill.People were asking me if I was ok & saying I looked terrible.When I got home I felt so bad I collapsed on the sofa feeling very stiff :( I went to bed at 6pm & slept for 15hrs solid.

I feel like my body has just switched off & im shattered.I am so sore & stiff that Im struggling to walk.Roll on 14th October when I see my rhummy again.

I hope you are all well as can be expected
tjc

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi TJC

I think you have to give in my lovely :(

Dont feel bad just listen to your body and I hope you get some help next months - its not too long now.

Look after YOU now

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi TJC
    Like Toni says you have to listen to your body, I know it is not easy when you have to work.
    Rest is a great healer do hope you get the help you need from your rheumy appointment.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • pols090607
    pols090607 Bots Posts: 126
    Options
    ((((sending huge hugs)))) - take some time to rest honey xxxx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi tjc

Sorry that you're feeling so awful. Can you see your GP in the meantime? Sometimes you just have to surrender and rest.

Take care.
    Sharmiane

tjc123 wrote:
    Hi Everyone

I have had to take more time off work.I was only back 3 days & I felt sooo ill.People were asking me if I was ok & saying I looked terrible.When I got home I felt so bad I collapsed on the sofa feeling very stiff :( I went to bed at 6pm & slept for 15hrs solid.

I feel like my body has just switched off & im shattered.I am so sore & stiff that Im struggling to walk.Roll on 14th October when I see my rhummy again.

I hope you are all well as can be expected
    tjc
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    If even others were noticing how awful you felt, at least they will know at work that you are genuinely off sick. Hope the rest helps you recover quickly. That rheumy appointment can't come soon enough.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Like the others say...listen to your body and look after yourself.
    At work they will know its genuine.
    When can you see your rheummy?

Love
    Hileena
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi tjc

Sorry to see this. Just wanted to acknowledge your post and send a hug or two. ((( ))) I hope you are having a good nights rest and that you can have a lazy weekend and start to feel a little better soon.
    Do take care
    Chris
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    You're having such a hard time but perhaps this will help you realise that you're not yet ready to go back to work. One of the hardest things is getting the balance between what you think you can do and what you actually can do. I'd go back and see your GP and take some more time off. Get as much rest as you can and don't be afraid to ask for some help. Your body might be telling you you're not able for work at the moment.
    Hope you can have a really good rest this weekend. rita :)
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi tjc,

You've had a tough time with your return to work that's for sure :(

as others have said... you need to put your health first..... easier said than done when financially you need to work, I know. :roll: also work has a big part to play psychologically in providing us with a role and identity..... 'who we are'... which is very hard to let go.

I hope that you can recharge your batteries over the weekend and feel in less pain come Monday.

Can you change/ reduce working hours?... perhaps for a few weeks?
    or as Rita suggests see your doc again and sign off work until you see your rheummy.

sorry you're going through this tjc. :(
    Iris x
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi tjc

I hope you are feeling better after your rest. Where do you have arthur?

Your story sounds similar to mine. When I was working I was coming home crying. The whole scenario of getting up; getting dressed; commuting working all day in a busy college library etc. My OH told me to resign but I didn't want to at frist because we had just moved house. However, in the end I just couldn't do it anymore and resigned just over two years ago. I was at my wits end by the time I did leave. That what arthur in both knees does to you!!! We've managed quite well without my salary. The things in our house are getting done but it's a slower process.

Can you discuss cutting your hours? Maybe work 3 days a week?

See your GP and review your meds and discuss how you've been feeling.

Sending you cyber hugs and best wishes.

Sharmaine
  • tjc123
    Options
    Thanyou so much for your replys

I have struggled on & went to the shops with my daughter today,I lasted 1/2hr. & had to come home :?

I am seeing my reummy on Oct.14th to get put on a drug for Ra.I used to be on hydroxy.but I had a bad reaction on them.So for the last 3month Ive been taking dihydracodine painkillers.This has made things so difficult for me.I am stiff all over & every day it is something else.

Ive had about as much as I cant take now :cry:
    Does anyone have an ideas what the next step of meds would be for me?
    Sorry about my spelling & thanks again
    tjc
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi tjc

Would your GP be able to answer your query? I always go to mine for help and advice when things get too much. sorry I'm an OA sufferer and your meds tend to be different. Do you think you may have had a flare up? You may be suffering from fatigue too - the combo of pain and fatigue makes you feel rough as hell.

Sorry you had to call a halt to your shopping trip. I used to love shopping but can only do it in short bursts these days. I tend to do a lot of it online. It sounds as if you're really suffering. Could you contact the NHS helpline for advice? I got food poisoning the week before Christmas and the duty GP was fabulous. They kept checking on my progress.

I hope that you feel better soon. Take to your bed for a couple of days and let your family take care of you.

Sending you more cyber hugs and best wishes.

Sharmaine
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    If co-codamol is the only painkiller you're taking then I'm not surprised you're really sore. Could you perhaps get some anti inflammatories (sp) even for a little while, if they upset your tummy you could get something to take along with them to protect them.
    There are patches and other tablets you could take which could go a long way to making your pain bearable. What about something like Tramadol. There are slow release ones that you only have to take morning and night and they don't make you really tired as they give a small measured dose all day.
    I'd say discuss it with your GP sooner rather than later. There are so many things out there that could help you. Very best of luck.
    rita
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I hope things are a little better today for you, tjc. You mentioned that you are struggling with walking - are you using a stick at all? They can provide better stability and improve balance, and they do ease the strain from tired joints. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi TjC

there are lots of other DMRDs they might try you on - I hope they find one to suit - I am about to try another one WITH the hydroxy - cant remember what it's called waiting for the GP to ring when they hear from rheumy.

I like DDs idea about a stick - I use one when needs be and it DOES help :)

Hope the rest is helping?

Love

Toni xx
  • tjc123
    Options
    Hi
    I have been to see a different doctor in my practice & he has giving me Naproxin to try until I see my rhummy.He has gave me another weeks sick & I have to phone back next week if I want another one.

I am finding the rest a great help :)
    DD I dont use a stick but I will look into this.

tjc x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi tjc

Just caught up with your post. Sorry you are struggling so much but glad that you now have some Naproxen. Hopefully that will help to damp down the inflammation and give you some relief until you get to see the rheumatologist. Glad you are finding the rest a great help - sometimes it really is the only thing you can do.

As the other peeps have said, there are lots of drug options out there and, because the DMARDS work by acting on the disease process itself, rather than just masking the symptoms they can be very effective. It can be a bit of a juggling act to find the right combination but hopefully once you see the rheumy you will be well on the way to feeling better.

Hang on in there tjc. Thining of you.

Love Tillyxxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Nice Doctor TJC

I am glad you are officially off sick and being off is helping. You gpo back next weeek if you need to for another note.

Love

Toni xx
  • tjc123
    Options
    Well its my reummy appointment tomorrow & hopefully I will get some new meds :)
    I seem to have been waiting a very long time for this so im hoping I will get some where.

I hope you have all had a good day
    tjc
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The best of luck with that, tjc. Have you your list of things to mention? Mine likes me to take in a sample too, so try to remember that just in case! I wish you well, and if you can, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjc123
    Options
    I had a good appointment today & my rheumy has decided to try me on hydroxy again.
    So fingers crossed I dont have a reaction to it this time.

Take Care everyone
    tjc
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I hope you'r feeling better now after a rest. This happened to me and my GP said that it showed me what I could and couldn't do I should give in. I was very anti giving in. Firstly, but not mainly for the money. For me, it was that I loved my work and also live in the country with no real neibours (sp??) and work was my way of getting adult company.

Well, I've been off over a year now, it does get lonely sometimes, but I can go out if I want to in the car and being able to rest without causing more work for others is really much better, it stops me worrying. I hope, maybe oneday I will be able to do some little job again. Not like the one I had before, care assistant, that would be far too much, but just something, maybe voluntory. So it can work and make your quality of life much more relaxed and that seems to help the arthritis. :wink: Its not an easy decision though.

Love Sue
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Tjc
    Good luck trying the Hydro again. I am on that too amongst lots of other pills so sending positive thoughts it'll kick in for you soon.

Sue - yep, I know what you mean about making work decisions. I took the huge step of stopping work in March as I drove a 4 hour round trip daily and although was very good at my career and loved it (and the money!) I knew in my heart that I needed to focus upon my body and health for a while. Anyway, I couldn't get dressed most mornings towards the end so choice a wee bit out of my hands!

As we all do, I suffer from fatigue (seem to just nod off during the day with no warning) and bad sleep at night. As I am not working I have learned not to lie in bed fretting that I am not sleeping as because I don't work it doesn't matter. If my joints flare up although I have the pain at least I can take some comfort in the fact that I can rest up no hassle.
    I honestly think it is the best decision I have made even although financially it is a struggle paying mortgage etc.
    The brucie bonus of all of this is that it has also shown me that I really do not wish to return to the huge corporate career having to nod my head to the Exec. Chairman when I really want to headbutt him so I won't. Life changing indeed - in a good way.
    Things happen for a reasonh especially the horrid things - sorry for saying that for the millionth time but 'tis true :lol:
    Waffle over.
    Just trying to say that although it is a big decision at the time our health is the most important thing so don't stress.
    Carol and keep smiling :lol: