Achey Knees

Options
alarkra
alarkra Member Posts: 213
edited 27. Sep 2010, 06:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi!

So I had a physio session today for my RA and she worked me hard. But now my knees really ache. It hurts inside, just under the kneecap. Has anyone else had this problem? What are your methods to ease the discomfort? I can't seem to get any relief at all, regardless of the position I place my knees in they hurt.

I can't take any painkillers as paracetamol etc makes me feel nauseous.

:?

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry you are in pain, I know when I used to go to physio, I felt much worse when I came out.
    Maybe some ice on your knees will help, I know that some people on here use ice for pain and swelling.
    I hope you get some relief very soon.
    Are there no painkillers you can take, what about the ibuprofen gel, that is quite good.
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you are in pain, Alarkra. I used to use a heated wheatbag(s) wrapped around my knee(s) when they used to give me jip. I found that comforting. The wheatbag is heated in the microwave. You may prefer icing but I only ever used icepacks when the knee was very swollen, to ease the swelling but it also numbs any pain for a while too.

Hope you feel better soon,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 25. Sep 2010, 11:23
    Options
    Hi

Try an ice pack followed by a heat pad. Repeat this process about 3 timess a day. I find it helps with inflammation.

Can you take anything else to relieve your pain? If it continues make an appointment to see your GP. Things may have become inflamed after your physio work out. I always felt exhausted and achy after my physio.

I hope this finds you much better.

Sharmaine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Alarka

Poor you.

You must tell her how it hurt at your next session.

Can you use an anti-inflam gel to rub in like movelat or ibuprofen or volterol??

The advice re ice and heat is sound and i use it but your GP may be able to find you something which doesn't make you queasy? I have a pain patch now which givesa aconstant dose of the meds all the time for 7 days and so I dont get 'bursts' of medication which make me sick too :(

Please take care

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    How are you feeling today alarka?

did you try the heat/ cold packs ideas?

I don' have any other suggestions about how to deal with the pain sorry.... but Toni's idea of the pain patches sounds good!

.. if it's any help this is something I do at night... I put a soft pillow under my knees when in bed.
    As they don't straighten having them supported underneath seems to help ease the pressure a bit.

(((hugs)))

Iris xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Alarka, hope the pain is easing off and the pads helped.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Alarka

I just wanted to add that When my knees really ache after my heat and ice treatment.. I elevate my legs and if it still hurts I get my OH to massage deep heat below and above my knee. Make sure you are nice and warm; wear socks etc. Don't push yourself when you're feeling like this. My advice would be to go to bed for a couple of days and be waited on hand and foot.

Are you feeling any better?

Sending you more cyber hugs.

Sharmaine
    X

alarkra wrote:
    Hi!

So I had a physio session today for my RA and she worked me hard. But now my knees really ache. It hurts inside, just under the kneecap. Has anyone else had this problem? What are your methods to ease the discomfort? I can't seem to get any relief at all, regardless of the position I place my knees in they hurt.

I can't take any painkillers as paracetamol etc makes me feel nauseous.

:?
  • alarkra
    Options
    Thank you all for your helpful advice!! I got a wheatbag today but I haven't been able to use it yet as have to leave it in the airing cupboard for the day (got to get all the moisture out before microwaving it otherwise it doesn't heat properly - well that's what the instructions say!). So hopefully that may work.

I didn't think that after you have been push and pulled in your physio session that you would hurt so much because one has over-stretched (although, that is of course the point of the session!). I will make sure that I mention my suffering afterwards at my next session on Friday. In the meantime, the wheatbag should be ready to use tomorrow and I will sleep with my knees elevated slightly as you suggest so hopefully that will bring some comfort.

I hope that you are all having lovely weekends and got to enjoy some of the autumnal sunshine today!

xx
  • alarkra
    Options
    Oh, and as I am on 3 anti-inflammatory drugs at the moment, I don't think that I'd be able to use any ibuprofen-based gels in case of overdose. Am I right in thinking that? :?
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Morning alarka,

just wondered how you're feeling this morning?

hope the heat and elevation helped even a little. :wink:

you might well be right about the gels..... they are providing a drug too...just by a different method. Ask your pharmacist about whether you can use them.... they know best about combinations of drugs and will keep you right. :wink:

Iris xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi If heat doesnt work what about cold...I know ice was suggested but I was thinking deep freeze gel or spray.....or even the boots one {cold} is as good but cheaper

Love
    Hileena
  • alarkra
    Options
    Morning!

My knees do feel a bit better this morning thanks, I think that the elevation method helped this time! Heat will definitely help my achey knees in the long run - a hot water bottle helped a bit last night.

Oddly enough though, the only thing that gets the inflammation down quickly for my hands is cold water! But at least it's one or the other that helps so all is good! :D
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Alarkra

Yes you are right about this.

Sharmaine

alarkra wrote:
    Oh, and as I am on 3 anti-inflammatory drugs at the moment, I don't think that I'd be able to use any ibuprofen-based gels in case of overdose. Am I right in thinking that? :?
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi

So glad that you're feeling much better. Keep up the heat treatment and RELAX. I have a memory foam mattress topper (one of the best things I've bought) and it really helps to cushion my aching joints whilst I'm sleeping. Shop around online for a good price and make sure you get one that has elasticated sides to slip on the corners of your mattress. I bought one for the spare room and I found the topper slips - I've since sewn elastic strips on all the corners - it was a nuiscance though. The one I bought for our room was from A.gos).

Take care.

Sharmaine
    alarkra wrote:
    Morning!

My knees do feel a bit better this morning thanks, I think that the elevation method helped this time! Heat will definitely help my achey knees in the long run - a hot water bottle helped a bit last night.

Oddly enough though, the only thing that gets the inflammation down quickly for my hands is cold water! But at least it's one or the other that helps so all is good! :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Mine used to hurt after physio too - and they would balloon with fluid! I sleep on my right side, with a pillow placed lengthways from ankle to groin. This supports the upper knee and ankle, and takes the weight off the lower knee and ankle. When sitting with my feet up I have a pillow under my knees as they no longer straighten, and it provides support and comfort. I hope this helps you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi DD/Alarkra

Good tips from DD - I had forgotten about this! I find that these days I have to sit with a straight back. I always have a firm pillow behind my back. If I'm lying down on the settee I've got into the habit of elevating my knee. Anything to be comfy! :lol::lol:
    I always keep a couple of cushions in the car and they come in useful for longer trips. Mind you I only need to sit down for 20 minutes and I'm stiff as a board!

Sharmaine

dreamdaisy wrote:
    Mine used to hurt after physio too - and they would balloon with fluid! I sleep on my right side, with a pillow placed lengthways from ankle to groin. This supports the upper knee and ankle, and takes the weight off the lower knee and ankle. When sitting with my feet up I have a pillow under my knees as they no longer straighten, and it provides support and comfort. I hope this helps you. DD