A bit frustrated!?

Options
sherry33
sherry33 Member Posts: 25
edited 27. Sep 2010, 03:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, have had various ultrasound scans etc. and still have active RA in various joints and visible damage to my toes, ankles and wrists. I have current pain in my knuckles, knees, elbow and shoulders but I am still not bad enough or old enough to have any stronger form of treatment!! I am currently on maximum dose of MTX each week (10 tablets), more than maximum dose of Sulfa (3 tablets twice a day), hydroxy, folic acid, iron tablets, various forms of anti inflammatories (currently trying celoxicab - I think), have had naproxen and meloxicam in the past, also taking Lansoprazole etc.
Does anyone else find it a bit frustrating? I'm not really complaining I know a lot of people are a lot worse but after over five years now and even hospital admitting that the RA is still quite active in various joints, it's still a bit annoying that I don't really fit the criteria for any other treatment. Do I have to wait until I have even more damaged joints? Just needed a bit of a moan, I am in my late thirties and don't want to get any worse if I can help it! I do my best to keep as active as possible and exercise as regularly as I can to keep everything active etc. including swimming, walking and going to the gym a bit! :? Any ideas to help at all?

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sherry
    I am sorry I cant help with the meds, I have OA, but I cant imagine why you are to young for certain treatments, I would have thought the sooner you stop the damage the better.
    I am sure someone with RA will be along very soon to help.
    And don't you apologise for moaning, it will help you to talk about it.
    Hope you get some answers very soon.Sending you loads of hugs (((((()))))) to keep you going.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • pols090607
    pols090607 Bots Posts: 126
    Options
    hi sherry

i haven't really got an answer to give but can only sympathise, I too am 36 and some days get totally fed up of it all.

(big hugs)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    I am so sorry :(

Why arent you old enough?

If damage is being done to your joints and things are not under control I woudl have thought you need more help!!

Can you aks for a second opinion or anything??

Any one got any ideas??

Love

Toni xx
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    hi

I can't understand why youy have not been assessed for anti-tnfs..

My rheumy is suggesting I need to go on them, as the methotrex is not controlling the inflammation (according to my swollen/painful hands and blood tests!). I have also tried adding hydroxychloroqine but couldn't tolerate that, so now that 2 drugs have 'failed' I gather I can be considered for anti-tnfs (although I'm actually going to give a higher dose of Mtx a try for a few months first).

Hope you get some help soon.
    Best wishes

Marion
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It sounds as tho you are doing all the right things in keeping as active as you can. The sulpha could go a tad higher but I doubt that would help matters much (I was told the ax dose was 4 twice a day). Arthritis is a progressive disease and you are on all the right things to control/slow that progress. How often do you have your bloods done and what are your CPR and ESR? They give a good indication of whether the disease is active in you or resting! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben