Lost art

Options
cthornley
cthornley Member Posts: 627
edited 26. Sep 2010, 12:15 in Community Chit-chat archive
I was looking through a box of keepsakes today (yes I am bit of a hoarder) and was re-reading all the letters and cards I have kept over the years.

I have loveletters from past boyfriends, congratulations from past teachers, schoolgirl gossip letters and letters from those who have now left us....all of them brought back floods of memories, many a smile or a chuckle and a few a tear.

I have little or nothing from the past few years as everybody's switched to the internet. Wonderful as it is, I can't help but think that we have lost something special with the loss of everyday letter writing.

Its amazing how special a piece of paper can be....right I'm off to write a card for a friend.
Chrissie

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Despite doing a lot of letters on the computer. I have always sent my grandson letters since he was born.

I just write about everyday things and events like the Olympics who won and also neices and nephews born and their names. Just family stuff.

My dil made him a special book for when he is older and might want to read how we felt about life as we are living now.

I also managed to get him some littles boxes containing Mammal Ivory that is over 70 million years old. I got Fossiles of fish that were found around the same era. I have made a complete set for him being a boy he might be very interested in it later on.

I got some Ammonite which is supposed to be 80 million years old. They use the Ammonite to make jewellery which is called Ammolite. I bought a ring for him for when is is older too.

I do hope all this gives him a lots of family history as well.

None of this could be done on a computer, he could read about it but to have a piece of jewellry to look at and wear cannot be done on a computer.

Trish xx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Its amazing how special a piece of paper can be..

When my twins were placed with us for adoption as babies, their birth-mother always hoped that she would meet them again at some time in the future. But this didn't happen until a few years ago when they were adults. However, she never gave up hope in all that time, and she wrote a letter to them every year on their birthday.

She asked the Adoption Society to hold the letters for her in the hopes that one day she would be able to contact them. When this finally happened, they were given the letters to read, and they are the most moving letters I have ever read. The letters proved what we had always told the twins, that their mother loved them, and she always thought of them. That was such an important thing for them to know.

Now, she is a good friend, and we email all the time.

Joan :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Since having a digital camara all our photographs seem to be stored on computers or discs.We have albums dating back 50 or more years It's lovely to take them out and remember past times.It's too much hassle to print all your pictures now :(
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Totally agree. I have recently been given letters sent to my granny by my mum chatting about me when I was one year old and of my brothers when I was 5 - 6 years old. These letters are treasures to me. I have also been given all my weekly letters I wrote to my mum and dad when my daughter was born and later my son and these letters span years. I have saved their letters to me too. Nothing can beat the written word on paper.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    a letter to a friend is a special thing . i have cards and calenders made by the boys when they were small always bring tear to my eye val
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I find it so sad, that the next generations will not have letters to read and cherish, my brother that died last Christmas day, was very close to his nieces my granddaughters, when he knew how ill he was, he sat down and wrote letters , birthday card, and Christmas card to them.
    They where very upsetting when we first found them, but the first one was opened on my granddaughters 13th birthday last week, It started you are now a teenager......we had a little cry, but found it really calming to read.
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Barbara

I'm so sorry that you lost your brother, but how thoughtful of him to write all those letters and cards. It must mean so much to you all when you open and read them.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Barbara

I'm so sorry that you lost your brother, but how thoughtful of him to write all those letters and cards. It must mean so much to you all when you open and read them.

Joan
    Thank you Joan,
    It was such a good idea of his, the girls love them, there are others , a box full to be precise, he loved to write.
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Well I have found some pics of me from early 80's on fb (waiting for them to blooming confirm) which I would never have seen again if fb had not brought us in contact. Seeing old pics of old friends has been wonderful.

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein