It makes me so mad............

carol101
carol101 Member Posts: 584
edited 28. Sep 2010, 15:27 in Community Chit-chat archive
Some of you will remember my sister-in-law having cancer. Well things are getting bad. She has had as much chemo as her body can take and her last chance of prolonging her life (there is no cure) is a new treatment.

I'm not really sure what this treatment is or how long the treatment is given but it is not yet available on the NHS.

This treatment is costing her £1000 per week

Obviously if it works it is worth every penny but why should she have to pay?

Both her and her husband have worked all their lives until the cancer kicked in and they are both in their 50's so haven't they already paid enough into the NHS?

Also what about all the rich people in the world who also pay their national insurance but don't use the NHS but private healthcare. What happens to the NHS treatment they have paid for but are choosing not to use? Can't that be used for cases like this?

I will add i believe this of treatments for all diseases not just cancer.

Carol

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Carol

I am so so so sorry :(

This is diabolical.

Is this per week?

What a decison to make - bet she wont let her husband sell the house - I bet he wants to.

Sorry It is so wrong :(

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • carol101
    Yes it is costing £1000 per WEEK

Luckily Mary got quite a nice lump sum when she was pensioned off. She used to be a planning officer for the council and Brian was a solicitor so i dodn't think it would come to selling the house but it will just about wipe their bank balance. I just think it is so wrong.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Thing is Craol she will worry aboput him when she's gone if they spend it all :(

They have to do it though - i know I would.

So wrong isnt it?

Love

Toni xx
  • carol101
    She will be going for the treatment..........well until the money runs out anyway.

How can they put a cost on people's lives?
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Carol

Unfortunately they do.

A dying woman has to decide whether to carry on with the treatment or stop and then pay the highest price of all and die.

It is disgusting carol, has her hubby though about telling their MP about it? Get onto the press? He should.

She is very sick, it needs to be shown up what is happening.

Love Trish xxx
  • carol101
    Trish i certainly think a fuss should be kicked up.

I have just read Rehabs thread about him paying for people who are drink dependant, fat etc

Mary is fighting cancer, has never smoked, only very occasionally smoked and certainly wasn't overweight.

Life is so unfair.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Carol.
    i'm so sorry i just dont know what to say things need to change.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • maggiemay
    maggiemay Member Posts: 122
    Carol

Im sorry to read about your posting on what it is costing your family member on cancer treatment per week.

I know what I say wont help the financial side of things, but please take my Hugs and love to her, It doesnt matter what I say about treatment, I was Lucky being diagnosed early, and all the treatment I had.

Why Cant the NHS get of their Ar.es and treat people who did not ask or cause this horrible disease.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you all.

Regards
    Mags