Just wanted to say Hello

devina
devina Member Posts: 7
edited 5. Oct 2010, 03:24 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all

Just wanted to say hello. I am very new to all this, so here goes. I was diagnosed with oesteoarthritis in my lower spine 9 mnths ago. I have had 2 epidual injections which last 2wks (pain free). Then I was back to square one.
I dont really understand this disease, I walk with kind of a limp all the time, then all of a sudden it is like someone or something has kicked me in my back so hard that it sends a pain down both my legs, disabling me were ever I am. (like in the middle of a main Rd. lol, good job I had someone with me at the time). Is this normal?
I have pains in both my hands, and one knee. (although, this has not been proved to be arthritis yet).
I know that this tends to affect old and young people, but I am only 43 I am devistated. I have had to stop work, because of the nature of my employment, and go on to ESA.
I am now looking at the Shaw trust, who say that there are employers who would not hesitate at employing someone with arthritis, so fingers crossed for next wednesday.
Can anyone answer my question regarding the the pain, and is it nowmal for it to sudenly expose itself for all its worth.

Anyway, I only came on here to say hello
regards
Devina

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh poor you, what a lot with which to get to grips. I don't have OA, but from what I have read on here that sounds about par for the course. It may be worth considering using a stick, on the opposite side to your weakest side, as this will give some stability and support, thus boosting your confidence when walking. If that is too much of a stigma at the moment, then keep a collapsible one in your bag, so it is there in case of need. They do make a difference. GPs are the ones to monitor those with OA, they prescribe the pain meds etc, so I hope yours has told you as much info as possible about your choices. Joint replacement may well be an option for you further on, and this is a good thing as new joints can often make the world of difference to your quality of life. Don't be too downhearted - easier said than done, I know. I started my PA at age 37 and went undiagnosed for nine years. It is a bitter pill to swallow. I am sure proper OAers will be along soon, but if not, try posting again on the 'living with arthritis' forum, most people hang out there. Welcome to the gang! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Devina

good to meet you Welcome to the forums from me :D

I wasn't 40 when i had my back surgery and at least one other person on here was younger too :( so you are not alone bekiing still a sex-godess with a bad back.

Totally agree with DD about the stick though - I think it wise if you are likely to seize up like that :(

Are you on any meds for this yet?

Love

toni xx
  • devina
    Hi Guys

thanks for the reply, I am on Meds Toni, but boy do they have some affect. I am going back to docs, to tell them what they can do with them.
    I started on co-dydramol and diclafenic. Then went onto Lyrica, tramadol and diclafanic. (Well, my heart feels like it is coming out of my chest, and this damned banging in my ears) this med not for me. I dont think so.
    Anyway, I have yet another problem. ( hope someone out there can help me on this).
    I had to have a medical given to me by social services. (to receive my monies still). She asked me to turn my neck from side to side,. I had a stiff neck that day, infact I had had a stiff neck for about a wk prior.
    Now she has taking it upon herself to say that I am unfit to drive, and that my Driving Licence is invalid.
    I have got intouch with DVLA, and had all the forms sent back to me, I have completed these forms, and have given my consent for them to contact my GP and consultant.
    wHAT HAPPENS NO GUYS, AM i GOING TO LOOSE MY LICENCE, JUST BECOUSE OF A STIFF NECK.
    If it does turn out to be yet arthritis in my neck, (I do hope not) where do I go from there. What modifications do I need to get on my car and who checks
    the car to say yep, its ok for me to drive.
    Please help, Im very confused and not sure what to do nect. I dont want to loose my licence.

regards
    Devina
  • dreamdaisy
    I have no idea if you will lose your licence: that seems too drastic to me. On the rare days that my neck is affected I don't drive, simples. So many people mis-understand these conditions we have, they do not grasp that things can change from day-to-day. Wait and see what happens - if it is taken away from you there must be an appeals procedure you can go thro. I am sorry I cannot help more. DD
  • devina
    Thankyou DD

I am running round at the moment, first to the lady th.at sorts my back out, and then on WED to my doctor. Just to prove that I dont have this in my neck.
    And all because this stupid woman would not take my word that is was just a stiff neck.

I wish that they would take that approach when it comes to the people that do pull the wool over their eyes, and get all they want. On just their word for it.

I really dont get this world at all.

thanks again
    Devina
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Devinia
    A very warm welcome to the forum, everyone is so supportive, if you have any questions post them on LWA, it does sound like you may have some nerve pain from your back.
    Has for the meds, well yeah they do take some getting used to, but when you get them right, the relief is worth it.
    I hope to see you posting more very soon.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • gabby1
    gabby1 Member Posts: 1
    hello, I'm new here and just having a look around. I've had a bit of neck pain and stiffness since I was in my late 30's which in the last year has turned into periods of excrutiating pain, radiating into the head and limited movement in my neck. I've been for an MRI and got the results today over the phone. I have arthritis in the neck.
    My husband is a bit older than me ( he's 51) and has arthritis in his hip (congenital), knee s and lower spine ( result of sports injuries). He's due to have hip resurfacing in the next few weeks. He is in constant severe pain and his mobility is very restricted. I think it's time we found out how to overcome these difficulties and stop them interfering with our lives and think this forum is a good place to start.
    I'm looking forward to getting to kn ow you-Gabby
  • dreamdaisy
    Morning gabby and welcome. Please look round all the forums and catch up - thery are self-explanatory! LWA is where all arthritis-related questions go, chitchat is the more light-hearted stuff (usually, tho the philosophy can be challenging!) and those are the two where you will find most of us. Please post, we like new voices and ideas and opinions! At the top of the LWA forum there are two stickies ie, there permanently, one about tips before an op and one about useful ideas to help life - that is full of good things! I wish you well. DD