Hibernating Laptop

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 15. Oct 2010, 11:28 in Community Chit-chat archive
HI

Does anyone know when or why a laptop goes into hiberntating mode? Ours is a Medion Akoya and my mum was working on it at 12.30 then it wanted to do updates, few mins later it beeped like Jean Micheal Jarre on speed then it went into hibernate mode and is still in this...It wont switch off or anything, not sure if battery is goosed but its just a little over a year old...

Any thoughts welcome..

Elainex

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,956
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elaine.
    have you tryed clicking the start menu to close it down leave it for a few mins and then restart.
    i was told if using it at home and the computer is plugged into mains leave the battery out as it can catch fire.
    i hope this helps. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    MIne does this occasionally inasmuch as it stops responding to anything and the screen goes blank (Dell Inspiron). They say to press and hold the on/off button for at least eight seconds, or until the machine beeps. This turns it off, give it a moment then turn it on again. I have no idea if this will help you, but that's what I do with mine. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Yes take the battery out for about 30 seconds then replace and it should start up fresh as a daisy.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Update

Apparently it was sleeping!!! Rung up Medion and they told us to hold blue triangle start button for about 20secs then turn back on again...

You live and learn eh?

Elainex
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    It sounds like a low battery level caught you out during an update, which caused a crash to your operating system. Holding the 'ON' button for about 10 seconds causes a forced shutdown and then when pressed again after about 30 secs, your laptop would start as normal.

2 things usually cause hibernation.

1. With a laptop, if the battery is nearly flat then it will automatically save your work and then hibernate, ie shut down. Otherwise you would lose whatever you are working on. If the battery is charged or mains power connected, then the laptop should start and resume working with your work saved.

2. After being left alone for some time with no key presses or mouse movement, (usually about 20 mins.), the power saving mode will activate hibernation to save work before the battery starts to be used up. If you forget to shut it down, then it does it for you. Again pressing the on button restarts it.

When a battery is in use or charging then it gets warm due to its internal chemical reaction. This has been mistaken in the past for 'catching fire'. While there are a few instances of power supplies getting very hot, this was rare and only applied to certain models. Batteries have a life of about 2 years normally and should be discharged down to nearly but not totally flat on a regular basis to extend their life.

If always used on mains power, the battery inside a laptop will only last for 12-18 months. So it can be removed and stored fully charged, but remember that if you have a power cut then the laptop crashes the same as a desktop.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif