Today`s job....

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 20. Oct 2010, 15:54 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi
I have been off work and unable to go out without a chauffeur (sorry hubby) and have been going slowly mad. So today I have decided to be productive and start making my christmas puddings. I have only ever done this once before when off work before THR, as I am usually too busy with work and rushing around.
So my kitchen smells yummy of soaking dried fruits, lemons, oranges, brandy and Old Peculiar Ale!! :wink:
So I was wondering if anyone else was doing a particular `job` today? Or if anyone has any tips for my pudding making?
Ok, back to the old peculiar .... I mean pudding! :oops:
NB

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I have been off work and unable to go out without a chauffeur (sorry hubby) and have been going slowly mad. So today I have decided to be productive and start making my christmas puddings. I have only ever done this once before when off work before THR, as I am usually too busy with work and rushing around.
    So my kitchen smells yummy of soaking dried fruits, lemons, oranges, brandy and Old Peculiar Ale!! :wink:
    So I was wondering if anyone else was doing a particular `job` today? Or if anyone has any tips for my pudding making?
    Ok, back to the old peculiar .... I mean pudding! :oops:
    NB

no tips but sounds lovely that great smell all around the house
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    I can smell something right nice.....

no tips from me - far too lazy, but Dorcas has a rather good couttie dumpling recipe.....

Mmmm....

Love

Toni xx
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    well my puds are steaming now til 10.30 tonight!! I am on water stand by to make sure they don`t boil dry. I have come over all `Delia` so unlike me!! I usually need directions to find the kitchen!! :oops:
    NB
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    OoooH NB I am impressed!!!

I can only claim a small achievement .... have butchered some veg up and plonked them in the slow cooker .... hopefully in a few hours they will have magically turned into a soup that will taste better than it looks at the moment :lol::lol::lol::lol:

my other job of the day is waiting for the people to come and collect the wheelchair I hired for the holiday - they said between 12-5pm ...... what's the betting it will be 4.55 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

happy steaming :wink:
    WOnky
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ooooh Wonky, domestic goddessing is breaking out all over! I hope you enjoyed your holiday - did the chariot come in useful or did it remain in the back of the car? I hope you liked Old Hunstanton and got to see some lovely birds. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Ooooh Wonky, domestic goddessing is breaking out all over! I hope you enjoyed your holiday - did the chariot come in useful or did it remain in the back of the car? I hope you liked Old Hunstanton and got to see some lovely birds. DD

HI DD

how are you doing? I didn't get to visit the beaches you mentioned, but the wheelchair did indeed come in handy - couldn't have managed at Titchwell without it, nor in hunstanton the day after, though hubby didn't do well pushing me up the hills :lol::lol:

The beach at old hunstanton is stunning, thought the first few metres over dry deep sand is rather taxing, afterwards it was an easy walk for miles and such a view! there is a great beach cafe there too! (breakfasts to die for ..... we had to go back for seconds another day!!!)

saw loads of birds ..... most exciting being bearded tits which are beautiful ...... as well as geese (rather a lot of!) and at pensthorpe there was so much to see that 5 hours felt like 5 minutes.

still waiting for this wheelchair pickup :roll: :roll: :roll: can't ring until 5pm has come and gone ..... but fed up of watching the window and waiting for a van to appear! If they don't come they better not charge me for another week's hire :shock: :shock: :shock:

right ...... peer round computer ...... no vehicles in sight ...... sigh!

hugs
    WOnky
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    Hi nearly bionic

What recipe are you using for your puddings. I would love to try and make one. I hate shop brought ones as they are far too sweet. My grandma used to make them and she always said she would give me the recipe, but sadly she did not before she died and hers were yummy.

I am also going to try and make a christmas cake as well. I have not made one since being at school!!! But I brought a tin last week and so looking for a recipe to give it a go.

I bet your house smells lovely

Fayann xxx
  • valval
    Options
    made a stew as far as i get lol still got to make oh a cake for his birthday that was last friday lol
    val
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Iris (Dorcas),

If you pop into this thread would you mind sending me the recope for clootie dumpling. Not had one for years and never got the recipe, my OH has said he will attempt to make it if i get the recope.

Thanks

Anne
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Fayann
    I have used a combination of 2 recipes and make 2 large puds
    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/536504
    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/596378
    I wanted to use Old peculiar but like to use veg suet so it is a bit of both. I have finished steaming them now and am waiting for them to cool before storing. I love the smell!! It smells like Christmas here!! :D
    I will spend time between now and Christmas `feeding` them brandy, and getting excited of course!!
    NB
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    My main job for today is trying to get a GP appointment!!

However, I have been teaching Meg to make bread from scratch this week. Last night we took it one step further and made naan breads to go with our korma. I was very pleased that the naans were better than the store bought korma. Next time I'll have to make both.
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Cathy
    I hope you managed to get the GP appointment. I would love to make bread, never really tried. Maybe that can be my next challenge. I am making a Lancashire Hotpot today, again for the first time, as I am a `can`t cook, won`t cook` person!! :oops: Luckily, my hubby is a brill cook.
    I am trying to keep busy whilst I am off as I am starting to get a bit down and fed up. My plan is to do something new each day to prove I am not totally useless!!
    NB
  • valval
    Options
    Hi Cathy
    I hope you managed to get the GP appointment. I would love to make bread, never really tried. Maybe that can be my next challenge. I am making a Lancashire Hotpot today, again for the first time, as I am a `can`t cook, won`t cook` person!! :oops: Luckily, my hubby is a brill cook.
    I am trying to keep busy whilst I am off as I am starting to get a bit down and fed up. My plan is to do something new each day to prove I am not totally useless!!
    NB

can i just say YOU ARE NOT USELESS did you get that or do i have to repeat it for you i know how hard it is and that we all feel that way from time to time but try to think of it as an extra holiday time for you and to relax and do what you want it will all be over far to quick and then you will wish you had embraced it more hugs val
    val
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Val
    Thanks for that. I think I am still adjusting to my limitations and am using this time now to find out what else i am good at.
    NB
  • c4thyg
    Options
    Hi NB,

Making bread really isn't that hard and I like it because kneeding the dough is a good gentle exercise for my hands as well. It's works well for me as the dough is warm. I do pottery as well and now the weather has turned I'm having to use warm water with the clay to stop my hands from seizing on me!! Of course the best bit about making bread is eating it while still warm and dripping with real butter! ;)

I did get my GP appointment thanks. My GP is on leave so I'll be seeing someone else and they've squeezed me in on Friday. I'm so glad I've got the title Dr as the receptionists never give me a hard time! :)
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    OOh NB, as another Lancashire lass, you`ve got my mouth watering for hotpot, or even a good pan of scouse. I haven`t bothered since I`ve been on my own, but maybe tomorrow!......As my gran used to say "That`ll stick to your bones, and lag your stomach". Somehow, doesn`t sound quite as appetising put like that though does it?

I admire the way you`ve taken a rotten situation, and bitten back. Good for you.......Ange.x.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I agree making bread is not that difficult and you could start off by using a packet mix if you like. You will feel so proud of yourself when you take a loaf you have baked out of the oven. :) The smell of newly baked bread is divine and the taste out of this world. :lol:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Cathy, Angel and Elna
    I think I will try the bread with the kids next week in helf term. They love baking and cooking with me, and I`m not always around at school hols with work etc... so they will like to do stuff together , if the weather is rubbish.
    Cathy, I haven`t done pottery since school, but it is a good and creative way to spend time. I have wasted so much time watching drivel TV and waiting for phone calls and letters that I am cross with myself for not being more productive!
    I can`t walk far yet comfortably so indoor stuff is best., especially as it is getting icy in the mornings here.
    Any more good ideas welcomed!!
    NB
  • c4thyg
    Options
    NB, the other thing I like to do (but am not very good at) is watercolour painting. I find that using a paint brush is much easier than writing as the brush flexes and ignores my shaky hands! My OH has started doing it as well with me and he's really good. It makes me embarrassed to show my attempts! But it is something fun to do on a wet day.
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    Hi NB

Thanks for the recipes. I will copy and paste them into my recipe folder later.

My sister brought me round a bread maker yesterday. It was the one that my mum had about 10 years ago. But it still works. So going to give it a go and try and make a loaf. Just been to s*ainsburys to get the flour and dried milk powder. Also got all the ingredients to make the giant cupcake tom and icing.

NB I have a lovely recipe for tea bread and it is so easy, you basically put everything into a bowl, mix and pop into a loaf pan. You just have to soak the fruit in tea overnight. Would you like it?

Fayann xx
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Fayann
    that sounds lovely, any new recipes welcomed!!
    :D
    NB
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi NB

Good idea to do the cooking/baking with the kids. If you made some soup you will have made a meal together which you can then enjoy eating! Sounds a brilliant idea. :D

Are the kids and you into jigsaw puzzles? If you have the room you could start on one together and go to it as and when you feel like it and try to add pieces. I have got into puzzles recently with my 2 year old grand daughter who has some really taxing puzzles of 40 pieces or more :lol: even round puzzles :lol:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.