Making a giant cup cake for sisters birthday

Options
Rainbow77
Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
edited 20. Oct 2010, 10:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi everyone

It is my sisters birthday on friday and I am going to attempt to make her a giant cup cake. The instructions does not include a recipe for the tin. I am not sure how many eggs to use? Anyone got any idea?

Then the decorating, well I not not very good at that because of my fingers and arthur!!!, I don't do dainty!! But just wandering if anyone has made one. I am not sure whether to use butter icing or cover it in chocolate as she loves chocolate. But may be a bit sicky????

Or any other decorating suggestions. I feel nervous already - will make the cake on thursday.

Thanks in advance

Fayann xxx

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Rainbow77 wrote:
    Hi everyone

It is my sisters birthday on friday and I am going to attempt to make her a giant cup cake. The instructions does not include a recipe for the tin. I am not sure how many eggs to use? Anyone got any idea?

Then the decorating, well I not not very good at that because of my fingers and arthur!!!, I don't do dainty!! But just wandering if anyone has made one. I am not sure whether to use butter icing or cover it in chocolate as she loves chocolate. But may be a bit sicky????

Or any other decorating suggestions. I feel nervous already - will make the cake on thursday.

Thanks in advance

Fayann xxx

if you have bero book there is lovely chocolate fuge icing not to sickly
    val
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi Fayann

I think Lakeland do a giant cupcake mould plus accessories to decorate it with...As its cupcake I guess it would have to be butter icing but it is sickly...I dont like it much....
    As youve got access to net why not just type it into your search engine see what it offers?

Elainex
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    http://www.hannahbanana.co.uk/2009/02/giant-cupcake-recipe/

i dont know if this link will work but this has a recipe for cake and icing,
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Fayann
    I saw one in a cake shop a couple of weeks ago, it had white chocolate cascading down the sides, and slices of strawberries, running down the cake set in the white chocolate, oh I could just eat a piece.
    Good Luck
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    Hi guys

Thanks for your posts.

Val, I am going to go with your idea of chocolate fudge icing with a mix of dark and milk chocolate with a plain sponge. I have a nigella recipe!

I am just going to use a plain sponge mixture and turn the oven down slightly as the base is quite deep and don't want the outside to burn and not be cooked in the middle. I am using a silicone pan.

Barbara that sounds yummy. A great idea when strawberries are in season. I don't like the ones that are in supermarkets over the winter as they have no flavour. Will let you know how it goes.

Fayann xx
  • patriciamary
    patriciamary Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi Fayanne

I had to contibute to a party recently and as hands were playing up decided to buy something instead. Works bookshop had a cupcake stand that was only £5, and I bought a tray of 20 cupcakes from Asda another £5, (a really lovely selection). Everyone was saying "how wonderful" but I did own up to not baking then myself. I also have the stand to use again and again.

So if you are not up to doing it yourself, £10 can remove all the hassle but provide a lovely gift. Also if some cakes are not eaten they can be stored for another day. Once you start cutting up a cake I always feel it has to be eaten quickly.

Regards
    Trisha