Home made sloe gin and more...what have you made ??

Options
lupin15
lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
edited 21. Oct 2010, 15:28 in Community Chit-chat archive
Spent this evening making sloe gin and vodka.....as well as elderberry vodka and gin. Need something to look forward to as the batch i made last year is yummy. Have also been told a way to speed it up so it will be ready for xmas. Ummm now i need to save bottles to put it into and make my baileys nearer to xmas....
I love that part of xmas...the food and drink bit. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: [/img]

Comments

• katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never made this sort of drink before but have partaken of them !! Less said about that the better!! But my Boss is making rhubarb Vodka - I think I'm looking forward to the office party!! :? :?
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I always put a nip of brandy in mine, gives it more body, just a shot will do it!.
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    Ha ha Lupin.....even more good news!!!!...so that means the more red wine you drink in order to collect bottles...the more slow gin and vodka you can make...you will never have aches and pains again! :D

Put some in the cellar at lunch club house......I'm just packing... home tomorrow then off to York!
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    lupin15 wrote:
    Spent this evening making sloe gin and vodka.....as well as elderberry vodka and gin. Need something to look forward to as the batch i made last year is yummy. Have also been told a way to speed it up so it will be ready for xmas. Ummm now i need to save bottles to put it into and make my baileys nearer to xmas....
    I love that part of xmas...the food and drink bit. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: [/img]

mmmmm if you've any spare i'm sure we could find a good home for it :wink:
    I'm in the process of making and embroidering little cooking aprons for my son and his best friend for making mince pies in :D
    Chrissie
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I made mulberry gin a couple of years ago, now that was interesting!

All the family, mum, sis and me used to make whatever we could lay our hands on, mum's potato wine was ..........well, it was lovely!
    But I saw it lay out 2 strong men!

I like blackberry vodka, too. Arther has stopped me collecting/harvesting (and in some cases scrumping) although I have noticed lots of lovely blackthorn we we live now.......maybe next year if I can reach enough!

Annie
  • lupin15
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:

All the family, mum, sis and me used to make whatever we could lay our hands on, mum's potato wine was ..........well, it was lovely!

I like blackberry vodka, too. Arther has stopped me collecting/harvesting (and in some cases scrumping) although I have noticed lots of lovely blackthorn we we live now.......maybe next year if I can reach enough!

Annie
    Send someone else to pick them for you???
  • lupin15
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    I always put a nip of brandy in mine, gives it more body, just a shot will do it!.

Are you sure about that? when do you put it in???after the fruit has been drained away or while it is in?? sorry there is probably a technical word for it.... but i am just a we lay person :D:D:D:D
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi lupin yes I do but not to much probably a shots worth will do it, it brings out more flavour and body, try it by putting some sloe gin in a glass and adding a tinny amount just to see if you like it or not, it works for us as the wife always drinks it before I have a chance!.
    Oh I always put it in once the gin has been filtered and bottled, then I leave it for sometime as it still matures slowly, normally I make it one year and try it the next or even 2 years after it's been bottled.
  • lupin15
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Hi lupin yes I do but not to much probably a shots worth will do it, it brings out more flavour and body, try it by putting some sloe gin in a glass and adding a tinny amount just to see if you like it or not, it works for us as the wife always drinks it before I have a chance!.
    Oh I always put it in once the gin has been filtered and bottled, then I leave it for sometime as it still matures slowly, normally I make it one
    year and try it the next or even 2 years after it's been bottled.

Will give it a try...will have to hide a bottle so we can leave it for two years. Now trying to think of a place to hide it. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • annie_mial
    Options
    lupin15 wrote:
    annie_mial wrote:

Annie
    Send someone else to pick them for you???

Wish I'd got a someone else to do it, but the only one I have handy wouldn't know a sloe from a hedgehog...........

Annie
  • lupin15
    Options
    ummmm could make it an interesting drink..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: [/b]
  • annie_mial
    Options
    :lol::lol::mrgreen: