Low motivation

c4thyg
c4thyg Member Posts: 542
edited 20. Oct 2010, 13:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Afternoon all,

I hope everyone is as well as can be expected. I'm doing ok, except for the lack of motivation the last week. I'm trying to argue with the inner voice that says, 'why bother?' but often feel too shattered to win.

It's a beautiful day here and I've been out this morning running errands etc. but I feel like I'm just going through the motions and not really getting much enjoyment from things. Granted my life is rather complicated at the moment but I'm not usually this bad! I wonder if it's simply the change in the weather and the nights drawing in. I know I'm very isolated but that hasn't really changed much over the last 4 years, if anything it's got better.

What do you guys do when you have these dips in motivation? The sillier the ideas the better.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Cathy

I get this too....luckily is is usually only temporary as I think your is too.

I find myself procrastinating a lot at theses times too - do you? The weather could so be relevant as can be the time of the month for me

If so lists of jobs - tick them off and you will see in real terms that you ARE achieving something every day. Dont forget what you have done with littlun too :)

Obviously you are not stupid and would know if it goes on too long you might need extra help? For me it usually ends on its own though

I do hope you 'perk back up' soon

Love

Toni xx
  • c4thyg
    Hi Toni,

You're right, it's just a blip and nothing more. I do hate these days though. I'm trying to get into a book at the moment but I can't remember what I've just read!!

I was wondering if anyone had any weird and wacky ways to rid themselves of this feeling. I usually get the clay out and make something but I got annoyed yesterday because my neck hurt too much to do it. I had a bump in the car on Friday and I'm trying to be sensible and not put extra pressure on my neck. Even reading a book is proving to be uncomfortable today. I need some inspirational ideas of what to do. Or maybe stronger painkillers!! :)
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    c4thyg wrote:
    Hi Toni,

You're right, it's just a blip and nothing more. I do hate these days though. I'm trying to get into a book at the moment but I can't remember what I've just read!!

I was wondering if anyone had any weird and wacky ways to rid themselves of this feeling. I usually get the clay out and make something but I got annoyed yesterday because my neck hurt too much to do it. I had a bump in the car on Friday and I'm trying to be sensible and not put extra pressure on my neck. Even reading a book is proving to be uncomfortable today. I need some inspirational ideas of what to do. Or maybe stronger painkillers!! :)

What I do, is some deep breathing and take things five minutes at a time. Treat myself when I've done something.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Cathy :)

Would you like to bake a cake, a loaf of bread, make some soup. Perhaps your neck is not up to that at the moment. I find cooking therapeutic and it is good for the soul to see the end result which is usually good and gives the home a nice smell too :lol:

I like the saying, if in doubt go out. Perhaps wrap up warmly and go for a short walk. It is cold but still lovely and bright, where I am anyway.

Brightening up someone elses's day can help me, either visiting, a phone call or writing a card to someone and walking to the post box with it.

I know that feeling of reading something and remembering nothing of it.

Anyway, I do hope this blip soon passes.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Motivation is difficult sometimes. My concentration span is shot to bits, thanks to all the drugs I think, but I do try to read or do things to take my mind off it all. Mostly, however, I give in and cease the struggle to be always bright and busy, I resort to the sofa, watch telly or do puzzle books. I reckon my body is trying to tell me something, so I rest. It passes, all things do. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi cath!

coming in a bit late to be suggesting anything to help with motivating today. :wink:

when I'm feeling low I try to get out to the local country park... just being there and seeing the changes the seasons bring gives me a lift.

sorry nothing zany or interesting :!:

I know what you mean about the dark nights.... it gets dark here now before 7pm and not light until nearly 8am!! one of the disadvantages of living this far north. :roll:

hope your day turned out to be a bit brighter for you than expected. :wink:

Iris xx
  • c4thyg
    Thanks guys. There are some suggestions here. I've spent a lot of time going through other posts today seeing where I might be able to offer help. I find that is often enough for me to feel like I've done something useful.

I've actually made bread twice this week! I'm very proud of myself. In an hour I've got my weekly pottery class. I always enjoy it so I don't really know why I have to push myself to go.

I've talked to my OH about it and we're trying to think of somewhere to go for the weekend. At least then we'll have something to look forward to. We've both had really stressful weeks with divorce things. We're in good company. :)

Lets hope that I get a good nights sleep and wake up a bit more with it tomorrow. I'm still interested to know if anyone has any unusual ways to snap out of these days though...
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Will keep thinking Cathy....

I am off to Cornwall on Sunday afternoon to visit a friend on Monday.

I think your idea of a weekend away could be a good one...?

Love

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Good for you Cathy, making the bread, it is something to be proud of, I always feel good after baking. Even if it is put straight in the freezer I know that I can share it with others later and that is a good thought. Soup is satisfying to make and freeze in margarine cartons if you have any, one carton serves one with a huge bowl of soup. Along with homemade bread - so tasty :)

Hope you do get away at the weekend. It does give you something to look forward to. I am meeting up with my best friend on Saturday and both men get on with each other well too, so I am really looking forward to that, a drink and meal out and lots of chat and seeing some of their holiday of a lifetime photos.

Enjoy your evening,
    :)
    Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Cathy, yes I have this feeling sometimes too, it is usually made worse by the weather, when I feel like I'm not achieving anything, or when I've had less social contact than usual.

I too support the list idea - put everything on the list, just so you can tick things off!!! Wrapping up warmly and going out for walk is a good plan. Walking through and kicking dry leaves (beware of wet ones!) is very thereputic. Oh yes as is throwing bottles into the bottle bank! Treat yourself to a posh coffee/a naughty hot chocolate in a local cafe or buy yourself some flowers. Plants some bulbs with your little one. Not really wacky ideas I'm afraid. Meeting up with someone who can make you laugh ...or if you can find a babysitter - go to the cinema - a bit of true escapism - but probably not very practical.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.