What Now?

Options
handsy
handsy Member Posts: 209
edited 26. Oct 2010, 19:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello to all, I have not been to well recently and had an appointment with my Consultant today. I told him about having two heart attacks and that i maybe have type 2 diabetes. Wow he was shocked he told me to stop the methetrexate straight away also the sulfasalazine for two months as I was short of breath. which I am all of the time now also broke down and cryed told him how difficult my life was now and that I spend such alot of time lying in bed. Since being diagnosed whith RA my life has fallen too pieces. Well thats my moan over and what I always say is there are people who are worse off than me. Cheers to every one bye for now....... :cry: :?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh John :(

You poor poor thing :(

Having said that you DID do the right thing in telling him. I am so so sorry it had backfired so badly though.

What has he given you instead?

Please tell me you have SOMETHING??

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Oh John

I am so sorry to hear your news today :roll: after all you've come through... to be told to stop your meds must have been devastating. :(

Did the consultant say what they are planning to do now... will he and your other consultant meet up to discuss a new meds regime that won't compromise your heart condition.?

I wish it was different for you John. :| I don't have words of wisdom but am here with other forum peeps to at least offer support and to listen....

love and strength

Iris xxxx
  • zechariah
    zechariah Member Posts: 222
    Options
    it may be worth being seen by a pain management team, I find them much better as it is one team managing all your meds!

I hope it works out for you, it sucks how reliant we all are on our meds and I dont think the consultants realise that!
  • cornbeef
    cornbeef Member Posts: 8
    Options
    zechariah wrote:
    it may be worth being seen by a pain management team, I find them much better as it is one team managing all your meds!

I hope it works out for you, it sucks how reliant we all are on our meds and I dont think the consultants realise that!
    im sure it will all turn out right in the end fella... your sure right theres always some one worse off
  • saggyoldbagpuss
    saggyoldbagpuss Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Wishing you well - hang in there honey if there's one thing ive learnt these past few weeks is it takes time and rest......

Take care of yourself
    Saggy
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi John
    I am so sorry, but you did the right thing telling your GP, you must find out where you go from here, dont let then just leave you to it.
    Most of us on here have had to mather our GPs or consultants.
    Please let us know how you get on.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The fact that there are others worse off is neither here nor there. You are in a hole with all of this, nothing seems to be going right, so I think that you are fully entitiled to feel dispirited, downcast and mightily fed up. Handsy, what a muddle. I suppose you are off the meth and sulpha 'cos of the heart and diabetes - does your rheumatologist have any thoughts about how to treat you? I suppose the other conditions do complicate everything. I am so very, very sorry. I wish I could be more constructive - if I have any bright ideas I will come back. Thinking of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    John, my heart goes out to you. You have fought so very bravely.

Unfortunately, once you have a heart condition, that then dictates everything else healthwise. Even something as simple as having a tooth out has to be done differently. I experienced this first hand with my own husband.

Go back to the beginning, and book a double appointment with your GP, and pour it all out. He/She may just have some suggestions for you. I do hope so........Ange.x.
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    Handsy, I'm so sorry to hear what's happened to you but I want you to know that there are other things that can be done. I have a similar problem with another health condition meaning that about half the treatments given for RA are not allowed for me so I can understand your worries first hand. Thankfully I've got a really good GP and rheumy so we've worked together and now I'm actually better than I was before half the meds were blacklisted! It seems to me that you've got a good GP so you're half way there. It will take a little time to get sorted but you will be able to pick up the pieces. My main advice is to keep doing what you're doing and be totally honest with your GP and rheumy. Our automatic stance is to play everything down but this is one time you mustn't. I'm sure many of us have cried to our Drs, I have, and you won't be the last.

I wish you all the best. You will get through this. Keep posting and vent as much as you need to. You couldn't find a more understanding group of people than on here. xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Handsy

I am so very sorry to hear the outcome of your consultant appt today - no wonder you were upset but as other peeps have said, I do think it's for the best that you have told him just what has been going on with your health.

I really hope that the consultant has some thoughts about an alternative way forward for you in terms of your RA treatment Handsy and I am thinking of you.

Love Tilly xxx
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi John, that must have felt like a real blow. I do know what you mean about saying your life has fallen to pieces since the diagnosis. I feel the same way myself some days. It is very, very hard.

I was taken off Mtx earlier this year too and felt it was a blow and thought my rheumy had ruled out all the biologicals but found out recently this is not the case. He left me on steroids for several weeks before starting me on another drug. It is worrying not to have the protection for your joints but you have to trust they will get the right combo for you. I didn't start to feel the lack of Mtx for about two months so you might be covered for that period.

As DD says, it is neither here nor there about other people. YOUR life is important and don't you forget it. Wish I could be of more help.
    xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi John,
    I am so sorry that you have to come off the meds. It has been a really rotten year for you I know. Perhaps your own doctor can come up with some ideas to help. I take it the rheumy will review things in two months time.
    My thoughts are with you.

Lv, Ix
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Morning handsy, 'tis I, DD. I am sorry to say that the bright ideas have been noticeable by their absence, but I am thinking of you and I hope you are coping. If not, tell us, we will do what we can to help. You are not on your own with this. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Morning handsy, just popping in to say I hope things are as OK with you as they can be. Take care. DD
  • bambi59
    bambi59 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    hi john
    so sorry to hear you have no relife for your condition. :( i also have a heart condition and COPD there for i can only take co codamol and smother myself in ibuleve and movalat. even this has some side effects if i over do it.
    this has been my situation for many years. its far from ideal. i use heat patches alot well daily on my spine and TENS. it is hard to adapt , some times in desparation i have taken an anti inflamatory which has caused terrbil side effects so iv learned my lesson!! :cry:
    i hope for you they find some thing you can have, but please be guided by the experts. :wink: