Ortho Consultant Today

Options
annebr
annebr Member Posts: 730
edited 20. Oct 2010, 20:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Had my follow up appointment today with orthapedic consultant, 15 months post op. I explained the pain had been getting worse on the operated hip and the left hip is now also very painful.

He said that he could do more surgery on the right hip, take out the pins etc and see if that helps but he is reluctant. Looks like 2 new hips, he will monitor me for another year and them we can decide what to do. He's not going to bother with the osteochndralplasty on the left hip or any other procedure he reckons just go straight to THR, which I am pleased about.

I was just about to leave when he mentioned my weight, I have always been slim build but now I am a size 6. He's not happy & is going to write to my GP and try & get some referrals to sort it out. I am down to 7.5 stone but I an 5' 8 so...Not sure what will happen as I think the Gastric clinic have discharged me??

Anyway not good news but not bad news. Rheumy tomorrow!

Anne

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Anne

I hope you have still been eating the chocolate like you were told last year.

The weight is not good is it? Perhaps they will see you again.

Also I you get your THR sooner though as you are in pain and that is not good either for you.

Let us know how your appointment goes won't you? It is shut on here tomorrow.

Love Trish xxxx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Anne

I'm sorry you're in such pain with the new hip :( but it sounds as though your ortho consultant is taking a very pragmatic view in planning what would be best for you. :wink:

....though waiting another year for the next appointment and having the pain to cope with isn't easy; so I hope your pain meds were reviewed to give you at least some relief. :?: :roll:

I hope the referrals that he's going to suggest to the doc? will help with the weight loss..

chin up flower...
    and good luck for tomorrow's rheummy appointment

((((hugs))))

Iris xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Hi Anne

Bit good bit not so good then....will he and the rhuemy liase over your treatment?

I would be quite confused if I were you :?

Maybe the rheumy will make things clearer? The slight frame isnt a good thing is it really. Are you still loosing weight?

Love

Toni xx
  • annebr
    Options
    It wasn't good news but it wasn't bad, is the view I am taking. Don't think my ortho consultant will talk to the rheummy. I had the feeling that the rheummy would have discharged me at the appt tomorrow but my GP has written to her again.

There are no signs of inflammatory arthritis but it could be another auto immune. They did discover I was vitamin D & calcium deficient which doesn't help.

As for my weight It's now pretty stable at 7.5 stone. The gastric clinic hasn't written back since last lot of tests which I believe were clear so not sure what else can be done.

Anne
  • annebr
    Options
    It wasn't good news but it wasn't bad, is the view I am taking. Don't think my ortho consultant will talk to the rheummy. I had the feeling that the rheummy would have discharged me at the appt tomorrow but my GP has written to her again.

There are no signs of inflammatory arthritis but it could be another auto immune. They did discover I was vitamin D & calcium deficient which doesn't help.

As for my weight It's now pretty stable at 7.5 stone. The gastric clinic hasn't written back since last lot of tests which I believe were clear so not sure what else can be done.

Anne
  • annebr
    Options

Anne
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Anne, a year is a long time to wait for the hip replacements. Did your consultant say which hip he would do first or both together?

I lost a lot of weight in the lead up to my hip op - I put it down to pain and the constipation caused by pain meds.... put it all back on now though :roll: I wasn't as slim as you though.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • annebr
    Options
    Don't know what happened earlier same message 3 times???

Sorry everyone.

Anne
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Anne,

A mixed appointment for you then. Perhaps the letter he sends to your doctor may clarify things a bit more. A year is a long time to wait.
    Do hope your rheumy appointment goes well for you tomorrow.
    Lv, Ix
  • cythna
    cythna Member Posts: 42
    Options
    annebr wrote:
    Had my follow up appointment today with orthapedic consultant, 15 months post op. I explained the pain had been getting worse on the operated hip and the left hip is now also very painful.

He said that he could do more surgery on the right hip, take out the pins etc and see if that helps but he is reluctant. Looks like 2 new hips, he will monitor me for another year and them we can decide what to do. He's not going to bother with the osteochndralplasty on the left hip or any other procedure he reckons just go straight to THR, which I am pleased about.

I was just about to leave when he mentioned my weight, I have always been slim build but now I am a size 6. He's not happy & is going to write to my GP and try & get some referrals to sort it out. I am down to 7.5 stone but I an 5' 8 so...Not sure what will happen as I think the Gastric clinic have discharged me??Anyway not good news but not bad news. Rheumy tomorrow!

Anne

Hi Anne. I'm new here, and I was just wondering what your gastric problem was? I was diagnosed with Crohns disease back in March, having lost nearly two stone, so I was just curious.

Best wishes, Susan