Methotrexate Update

Options
lorica
lorica Member Posts: 187
edited 21. Oct 2010, 11:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I have been on mxt now for 5 weeks and so far the side effects havent been too horrific, I tend to suffer from fatigue, to the extent i will fall asleep where I stand and i just need to go to bed, and i have had some nausia, but not to bad.

All my blood tests so far have been good. I saw my GP earlier in the week and he doubled my dosage to 15mg, so this sunday im dreading to see if my side affects get worse, or even get some new ones!!! :(

I asked my doctor if i should be carrying a Methotrexate card (there has recently been a thread about it) and the GP said he didnt see the point, he felt they were too out dated, and anyway all my medical notes were on the NHS computer system...

Mark

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That is a big increase lorica, all in one go. Wasn't he willing to phase it more gently? I certainly wouldn't want to double the dose of any of these drugs in one go. Check if you could do a more gentle increase - the tiredness is affecting you, OK the nausea is not too bad at the moment, but I think it better for your body to be gently accustomed to more! That is only my opinion - I am not a doc.

I have a methotrexate monitiring booklet which has all my blood results in it, plus I have listed all the other junk I take and at what dosage. This is in case I fall down in the street and have to be rescued by someone medical- straight away they know what I am on. If you are only on meth then just put a note in your wallet. I always think better safe than sorry. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joon51
    joon51 Member Posts: 221
    Options
    Iorica I have been on mtx since May, when I was started on it they put me on 15mg straight away and it didn't take them that long to get me on 25mg, not had to many side effects the worse being tired of late I don't seem so tired lets hope my body is getting use to it and that its doing the job it's supposed to. I have also got a booklet which I carry around with me, plus I got a card which states 2 anti-biotics we are not aloud whilst on mtx. Hope I've been of some help June
  • williamlargs
    williamlargs Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Hello Mark

I started on mtx in July at 7.5mg and inceased it by 2.5 mg every week till I got to 20mg. Got a bit sleepy at the start but to be honest don't notice any side effects now. Blood tests have been fine and the drug seems to be working. I think!!

I had my most recent rheumy appointment last Friday and the first thing he asked was do you have your blood test results? I have never been given a book but luckily for my own interest I have asked for a print out every month and took it with me.

Good luck with the increase but I do feel IMHO it should be done more gently if you know what I mean.
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    Hi Mark

Your dr should be paying more attention to your side effects and as a result should be increasing your dosage gradually
    You must at least be issued with a monitoring booklet whether or not your Dr personally thinks they are a good idea
    there are strict guidelines to prescribing MTX and this is one of them
    you can see the National Patient Safety Agency safety alert here:
    www.npsa.nhs.uk/EasySiteWeb/GatewayLink.aspx?alId=1494

MTX is generally a safe drug if prescribed carefully but accidents have happened so strict guidance has been introduced - all strategic health authorities in the UK have responded to this by generally becoming ultra careful (sometimes overly so) and so your Dr doesn't get to have a personal opinion about whether or not you get a book, as it is now prescribing policy, you may want to gently remind him of this

Hope that makes sense and that helps
    Chrissie
  • lucy145
    lucy145 Member Posts: 90
    Options
    hi

could you get a booklet from the rheumy nurse? its the hospital that gave me mine, im not on mtx but am on sulpha and still have to have a monituring book,at least if you do have one and carry it with you have a record of what you are on with you.

good luck hope you get it sorted

lucy xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,480
    Options
    I think you should have a book too Mark - maybe you could ask, as lucy suggests, the rheumy nurses??

Hope you do ok on the new dose

Love

toni xx