struggling opening the milk!

Options
maria09
maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
edited 21. Oct 2010, 10:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Ive just gone 10 rounds with tescos pure milk 4litre :x
After struggling to open the top there was the silver foil cap which i had to open with my teeth :!:
Thank god ive got my own :lol:
Luckily I managed not to spill it usually my hubby or son opens them for me

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    They're bloody horrible to open when your hands hurt eh? I end up cutting the foily bit off completely with a sharp knife, much easier.
    You want to try open tham yaku*t things, I feel like throwing them at the wall sometimes!!

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    I do the same as Tony and use a pointed knife. I think it's a really bad design. Even pop bottles are easier as you can use a gripper for them.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I stab it with a vegetable knife. It's very satisfying. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 21. Oct 2010, 06:11
    Options
    Hi Maria :D
    nice to see you posting!

The 'one touch jar opener' will also open the tops of bottles and milk carton lids. :wink:
    but you still have the foil to deal with. :? .... I use a sharp knife too. :D

The tops that stump me are the 'child proof' lids on medicine containers and on things like bleach and toilet cleaner bottles. :shock: :roll:

many a wrestle ... and naughty words... I've had to 'expend' trying... and failing to open medicine containers!!!

I use a door to jam and hold the top of the bleach bottles (hinge side of the door) to squeeze the two press points & then open them!

Iris xxx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    They just don't think to make these kind of things 'arthur' friendly! :?
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Iris that made me laugh,as a child i used to open the child prof bottles for my old nan and now i have to get my son to open them for me :lol:

i jab the milk with a knife too
  • maria09
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    Hi Maria :D
    nice to see you posting!

The 'one touch jar opener' will also open the tops of bottles and milk carton lids. :wink:
    but you still have the foil to deal with. :? .... I use a sharp knife too. :D

The tops that stump me are the 'child proof' lids on medicine containers and on things like bleach and toilet cleaner bottles. :shock: :roll:

many a wrestle ... and naughty words... I've had to 'expend' trying... and failing to open medicine containers!!!

I use a door to jam and hold the top of the bleach bottles (hinge side of the door) to squeeze the two press points & then open them!

Iris xxx
    Good to see you too Iris hope you are well x
  • tjt6768
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Your local chemist will put your meds in a child unfriendly container if you ask them.

My bugbear are the blister packs . AAARRGGHH!

Aren't they just ridiculous things? I make sure that I have one long finger nail and pierce the thing first because if you don't then the tablets/capsules can split... I know that there is a thing you can buy that you pop your pills into but the fingernail does the trick.. :wink:

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    Options
    Im sorry I know I shouldnt but some of these images made me laugh... I suppose it's OK as Im laughing at myself really as I do all of the above... especially those blasted toilet bleach bottles "just squeeze the two marked points together" ~ yeah right!

How bad is it when you have to ask your 5 year old to help you open something???

I had a little giggle at all this in Im honest. Lets face it, Id have to laugh or Id cry xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

you are right dippy :!: we do get ourselves into some odd positions just to be able to take our meds (thanks del for the advice!!) and keep the toilet bowl clean... a must in any household :lol::lol::lol:

... as I have very short nails... I use a sharp knife to mke a slit in the back of blister or foil packs ... then pop the pills out! makes it much easier. :mrgreen:

Right! now where's that bottle of toilet cleaner.... :roll: :? :lol::lol:

Iris xxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Maria,

Tis good to see you!

Milk I use the teeth for, I also use anything to hand as well. Worse thing to open for me is bags of animal food but then they cant argue with either a knife or the shears..... I just seem to use what ever is to hand but shoes and socks..... now those I d have trouble with.....

You keep posting flower cus some of us were wondering how you was. Cris x
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    This is the advantage of having a wonderful old fashioned milkman - mine still comes in glass pint bottles (which are small enough for me to lift) and with foil tops :D no problems!

childproof caps - ha, I have to leave to an adult, well I say adult does my husband count? :roll:

my bugbear is th top on my coffee jar - I'm fussy and only like to drink Douwe Egberts coffee which has a weird glass jar with a pull off lid which somedays I can't get the lid off for love nor money, me with caffine withdrawl is not a pretty sight, so I tend to pounce on the first person to enter the kitchen and beg to be given access to my coffee :shock:

Chrissie
  • maria09
    Options
    cthornley wrote:
    This is the advantage of having a wonderful old fashioned milkman - mine still comes in glass pint bottles (which are small enough for me to lift) and with foil tops :D no problems!

childproof caps - ha, I have to leave to an adult, well I say adult does my husband count? :roll:

my bugbear is th top on my coffee jar - I'm fussy and only like to drink Douwe Egberts coffee which has a weird glass jar with a pull off lid which somedays I can't get the lid off for love nor money, me with caffine withdrawl is not a pretty sight, so I tend to pounce on the first person to enter the kitchen and beg to be given access to my coffee :shock:

Chrissie
    ive got a coffee canister as i have same problem as the lid comes off easier
  • whalewatcher
    whalewatcher Member Posts: 90
    Options
    The only way I've found to open the bleach & other 'just squeeze & turn at the same time' containers is to use the garlic crusher.
    Put the container at the end where you put the garlic then use the legs of the crusher to squeeze the two points together and then turn. You still need some strength in your hands but it is easier on the fingers.
    You might want to wash the garlic crusher after this especially if you've dropped it down the loo or covered it in bleach.
    Val
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I'm with you on the pet food bags, impossible to 'peel' apart, bags of crisps are bad enough! Lol

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    Ha, I open my lunchtime bag of crisps with a pair of scissors kept in my desk drawer..... at first I got some funny looks, now they just know i'm weird :roll:
    Chrissie
  • tjt6768
    Options
    If you're weird then we all must be, lol...
    Keep them scissors handy!

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Oh dear, it sounds like a tough job. I've given up on cartons, I get a pack of small ones deliverd and my husband opens them and puts them in a plastic jug each day. I've never been good with cartons and usually make 'orrible mess and the language is quite something, I've cut my hands with knives, you name it. Anyway have a cup of well-earned tea! :lol: Love Suexxx