Yet another barrier

Options
c4thyg
c4thyg Member Posts: 542
edited 22. Oct 2010, 08:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
As some of you know I've been trying to find a way back into work and was going down the re-training route. I was going in 2 days a week to retrain in new more arthur friendly lab techniques but needed help with the costs of childcare. I made a business case to DWP asking for assistance and just got a call from the job centre telling me that I've been turned down because I'm OVER-QUALIFIED!!!!

I just don't get it. I used to earn a professional salary paying hell of a lot of taxes yet they'd rather me not earn anything and take benefits. To say I'm annoyed is an understatement. I'm starting to wonder why I should even bother when it's repeatedly made clear that I'm not worth the effort. I'm learning very quickly why there are so many lone parents and disabled people on benefits. What is wrong with these people?

I just don't know where to turn any more. :cry:

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    sorry to read this you would think they would help out just to get people back in work why run courses if not going to provide child care to go with it do ac know of and grants availible val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Oh Cathy

I am so so sorry :(

You were counting on that with all other avenues being dead ends too :(

I wish I could think of something to help - maybe when the littlun is a bit older? could you afford a little after school care then?

I am so sorry - shaking my head from side to side

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Cathy
    I am so sorry to read this, you where so positive last time you posted, what the hell is wrong with this country,you want to work, you are qualified, you love your job, could go on but wont.
    All I can say is don't let them grind you down, carry on fighting, we are all behind you.
    Good Luck with everything
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Oh Cathy, what a mess.......it's so demoralising, too.......all the hard work and effort you put into getting a diploma or degree and then to be told that you've tried too hard!

It's happened to me twice, after two redundancies.....in the end I was submitting a somewhat 'edited' CV and then confessing all at the interview.......took three tries, but I got a job I really, really wanted each time.

Annie
  • c4thyg
    Options
    Apparently I can't be educated beyond a PhD so they won't help. They have missed the point entirely. The reason I need to retrain is because I can no longer perform surgery as my hands are shot. I need to learn new techniques that aren't so limited by arthur. I see no point in writing grants with work in that I can't do as I would have to turn the grant down. I thought it was sensible to test the water first by learning new techniques and pitching the work towards what I can do. Isn't that what we're supposed to focus on, what we can do!

I've calmed down since this morning and I think I'll carry on trying to pursue this until my savings run out. I'm also going to see the disability advisor next week to see if she has any suggestions but I'm not holding my breath. I feel as though I can't count on anyone and have to do this alone. It's very isolating. It's hard enough being at a physical disadvantage but being a lone parent as well it seems almost impossible.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You are absolutely right in what you say: you are trying to help yourself, you are shifting your focus on to what you can do and the further skills you may be able to develop and as a result you are being penalised. This is a ludicrous situation. On the other hand, however, this may also mean that something much better is a possibility - I have no idea what it might be :D but apparent setbacks often work out to be the pre-cursor of better things. I certainly hope that is the case with you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • c4thyg
    Options
    I really hope you're right DD. xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Cathy

Just wondering if you are feeling any better today at all?

I can't help keep thinking about your situation - and feeling frustrated on your behalf :(

Very little help to you I know, but unfair is all i can say :( So sorry I can't help.

Love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have read similar stories to yours. It just seems every effort you make you get knocked back. In the long run work will pay but it is now that you need help. Is there NO help at all?
    Please don't feel too disheartened as you have been through so much lately. I wish I had better news for you....

Elizabeth :cry:
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Cathy,

how frustrating for you this is. :shock:

I know nothing about business/ training grants through dwp but wonder if there's any leverage in writing to JCP Manager about the issues you've come up against (attaching your business plan) and copying you MP into the letter?

I would also suggest you e-mail your MP separately and ask for his support and advice........ worth a try? I personally have always found my MP to be very supportive and your MP may well know and could possibly suggest other avenues of funding.

You could also write or e-mail Iain Duncan Smith who is the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions!... and why not?

I do hope that this not the 'dead end' that you fear. You've put such a lot of time and effort into it so it has to be worth fighting for.

Iris xx
  • c4thyg
    Options
    Thanks for all your support.

I'm feeling a lot more positive today. It was a shock yesterday, not that my proposal was turned down but the reason why! I'm not giving up on this. Thankfully I've just had a tax rebate so I'm going to use it to cover my costs as long as I can and go for it anyway. Then I'll say that I did it without help from grants etc. My pride kicked in!! If money runs out too soon I'll just have to shelve it until Meg starts school next year. My expenses will be less then. I am very grateful though to have support from my OH who is willing to treat Meg like his own daughter and do what he can. The logistics are difficult because the lab is 40 miles from home and traffic is a ****! I'll just have to see if i can make it work.
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Cath, you are amazing, and an inspiration to us all. You are like those little dolls on a spring. You know, you push them over, and they bounce right back atcha. I am so proud of you.

I get a lot of happiness reading about yours - and Meg`s! - new relationship. He sounds exactly what you need. Keep him in the loop with everything.........Much love to you all.........Ange.x.
  • c4thyg
    Options
    angel1 wrote:
    Cath, you are amazing, and an inspiration to us all. You are like those little dolls on a spring. You know, you push them over, and they bounce right back atcha. I am so proud of you.

I get a lot of happiness reading about yours - and Meg`s! - new relationship. He sounds exactly what you need. Keep him in the loop with everything.........Much love to you all.........Ange.x.

Are you calling me a weeble? :P

Thanks Ange, but you were the inspiration that helped me get here. xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Bounced right back then Cathy :D

Good attitude!

Lucky you have pride eh :D

Love

Toni xx