date for arm op!

Options
lynnemarie
lynnemarie Member Posts: 37
edited 21. Oct 2010, 06:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
:roll:

went to see a orthapedic consultant yesterday about my tennis elbow, have had a cortizone injection a year ago that didnt really relieve any symptoms and has left me with the tissue and muscle around the joint to be thinned, Gp said next step was surgery!
anyway visited consultant at hosp who basically told me that it might go away by itself, most people just coped with it or had cortizone injections!! and if i did have surgery it only was effective in 6/10 people!! how bad are they odds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so was left not knowing what to do!!!!!!!! he said he was more than happy to do the proceduce but felt like he wasnt if you know what i mean!!.

anyway still had the gp's voice running through my head that it wont get better by itself and surgery was the next step. i have seroneg arthur that the gp is obviously aware with - however although the consultant knew i have it, i am not completely sure he knows enough about my condition!!

so my question is, have i done thr right thing by going ahead with it???? and will it be beneficial????

see my rhumy 8th dec so will discuss it further with him too!! any advice/help would be appreciated x

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 21. Oct 2010, 06:23
    Options
    Hi Lynnmarie :D

What kind of elbow op is it?

I had a 'Radial Head Excision' done on my right elbow 8yrs ago and it has been really successful. :wink:

there is a loss in extension movement as the elbow doesn't straighten, but I wasn't able to extend it anyway before the op because of the joint damage!

apart from that I've not had any bad effects from having the op...... and the good thing about it is I've not had any more pain in the elbow since then.

they do say that after 10yrs it might need a full joint replacement but so far no sign of that being necessary!!

making the decision to have any joint op is difficult as we are 'opting' to have it done and the surgeons never guarantee success (well they can't can they?) which leaves us with the dilemma!!

talk it through again with your doc and I hope you do find that it's been the right decision for you. :wink:

Iris xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi sounds like it was not very positive would you be better getting second opinion from some one who might know more about what you have and need val
    val
  • lynnemarie
    Options
    hi

sorry i have tennis elbow, they are removing the tendons away from the bone!!!

had my pre-op, xray and swabs done yesterday!
  • lynnemarie
    Options
    it wasnt very positive at all, will discuss it with my consultant on the 8th and maybe the gp before then! i am assuming i can cancel the procedure the day before if required!, but i so need something done, some days i cant flick a switch/ hold a tea cup/ spray deodrant etc etc!!

surely its worth the risk????
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi again Lynnmarie :D

hope that someone else on the forum can help you with knowledge and experience of this op.

let us know whether you decide to go ahead so we can at least offer you some support. :?: :D:wink:

Iris xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Lynnmarie

If you are not happy with that particular consultant's manner, you can ask to see another one. I get the feeling you have your reservations about him. One does have to have trust in the consultant. That is all we can do. The result of any operation is the unknown, because are all different. We can find out the percentages regarding success and failure rates, we can ask the consultant his success rate and how many of this particular op he performs per year etc.

Unfortunately it is only you who can decide what you should do. People can advise but in the end, it is your pain, body and life that has to be considered, no one elses.

I think it is a good idea to discuss things with your rheumi but he can only suggest, you have to make the final decision and if in any doubt, do not. That is my humble decision, for what it is worth.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • lynnemarie
    Options
    thanks for that Elna!, makes great sense!!

will probably go ahead with it, because cant carry on the way i am now!! i assume its a very straight forward procedure! i always question everything and are a complete worrier!! thanks for the advice!! xxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi again, Lynnemarie,

You are a wise girl, my lovely to question everything, not so good being a complete worrier, but we cannot help how we are, (I am one too :) ) but any operation is a "worry" however straightforward because it is the unknown to you. I am sure all will be well, the first hurdle is knowing in your own mind that it is the right time and the only way forward for you. You have already jumped over the first hurdle. :)

Do let us know when you have more details as we would like to support you.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.