Morphine tablets..

Options
tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 23. Oct 2010, 17:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, no big deal.
I started on my new tablets night before last, just wondered if there are any out there with experience of the MST 15mg M/R tablets? Gotta say, sop far I have woken up in less pain on a morning than I was doing, albeit quite drowsey, oh, ok, dopey.. lol

Then about 3pm I am on agony again, but my GP did tell me I could take some paracetamol with them, I did this yesterday, well I actually took co-codamol because at that point I couldn't get out of bed and reach the paracetamol..
I take the morphine 12hrs apart, so have been taking them at 9am and 9pm.... One question is, will they take time to get into my system and work the whole day? If not then I will just add the paracetamol.
And another, will I get 'used' to the drowsiness, as I need to be able to drive when I can..

Oh, and one more not really important one, but, why the hell are they green?? LOL... I mean, incredible Hulk green!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Tony
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    tony did you say green yuk would put me off to start with can not help you but good luck hope it works soon val
    val
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    Tony,

I used to have pain patches which I believe are similar and they took 3-4 days to fully work. I was also quite drowsy while on them but it did improve over a couple of weeks. The reason I didn't like them was that I couldn't focus on anything but that isn't the case for everyone.

As for why they are green, as a physiologist/pharmacologist, it is so that they can be quickly identified if someone takes them to overdose. Morphine is well known for these things and if someone tells the 999 operator the colour of the tablets they can narrow it down very quickly and have treatment ready at A&E.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    c4thyg wrote:
    Tony,

I used to have pain patches which I believe are similar and they took 3-4 days to fully work. I was also quite drowsy while on them but it did improve over a couple of weeks. The reason I didn't like them was that I couldn't focus on anything but that isn't the case for everyone.

As for why they are green, as a physiologist/pharmacologist, it is so that they can be quickly identified if someone takes them to overdose. Morphine is well known for these things and if someone tells the 999 operator the colour of the tablets they can narrow it down very quickly and have treatment ready at A&E.

Makes sense re the colour.. Thanks for the other info too.. I am hoping that I am not too drowsy this afternoon, my brother just rang me and wants me to go over.. Will see how I am though, not gonna drive if I don't feel safe..

Thanks again

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    I hope you feel ok this afternoon, otherwise could your brother come to you?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Tony

GREEN!!!

How delightful and yes definitely noticeable I would think.

Hey Tony just check in case you are not ok to take co-cos with them...think that MIGHT just be the case. :shock: probably ok though and me worrying unecessarily though :roll:

I have pain patches and love them :D No breakthrough normally and if there is i just add anti-inflam :wink:

If you don't feel safe to drive then don't - you could still get into trouble.

Love

Toni xx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Hi Toni & Cathy...

I have told my brother it will have to wait anyway, I am feeling a bit more normal now but don't think I would be up to driving.. not gonna risk anything.
    The co-codamol was a one off so if i need owt today i will just have paracetamol..

Thanks to you both again...

PS, I was hoping it would be patches actually but will see how I go on with these Mod Release ones..

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Tony
    I had to treat my brother with MST, if I remember it took a couple of days to get in the system, but he started off taking the ordinary MST by that I mean quick release, the doctor said it was easier to know when the dose wanted upping slightly, then it did with slow release
    So if you feel they are wearing off to soon ask for the other ones till you get the dose right.
    The dopyness does wear off.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Tony
    I had to treat my brother with MST, if I remember it took a couple of days to get in the system, but he started off taking the ordinary MST by that I mean quick release, the doctor said it was easier to know when the dose wanted upping slightly, then it did with slow release
    So if you feel they are wearing off to soon ask for the other ones till you get the dose right.
    The dopyness does wear off.
    Barbara x

Thanks luv..

As for the dopeyness, that's probably just me! Heehee

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Thanks luv..

As for the dopeyness, that's probably just me! Heehee

Tony[/quote]

LIke it :lol:
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Just an update on things with the morphine tablets, basically I stopped taking them, sure I was sleepin a little better and was waking up in less pain than before BUT, I felt so ill and out of sorts with them, and during the day the pain relief was wearing off. Now I know that they can take a couple of weeks to start working right and for the bad effects to wear off but I really could not go on like that, after two days I looked and felt like a zombie and I did have things to do and places to go which if I had carried on feeling that way I certainly wouldn't have managed. So I came to the decision last night not to take the morphine but go back to the old regieme of diclofenac, paracetamol and tramadol.. Less pain relief but nothing like the side effects. Will try see my GP monday to discuss things again. Hopefully my injections for my spine and knees shouldn't be too much longer, can but hope...

If any of you have been through anything similar please PM me to see if you reacted the same..?

Thanks to you all

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP