Time off work for hospital appointments

cazaline
cazaline Member Posts: 61
Hey how is everyone today? I'm just wondering how flexible everyones employers are about them having time off work for Arthur hospital/docs/blood/physio related appointments etc.

I was recently offered a job with a company and I start on the 1st of November. I have also recently started taking Methotrexate and have to have blood tests fortnightly, but because I've only just got this job, I'm so reluctant to take time off work so soon for appointments and stuff. Is there any way you can have bloods done outside of office hours?

The employers also aren't aware of my RA, I'm not quite sure how to approach the situation. During previous interviews I've had to declare it on application forms, but this one, I didn't have to fill one in, and I wasn't sure how to bring it up in the interview and so I never did. in all honesty, I wasn't expecting to be offered the job position so now that I have I'm not sure what to do, I guess I'm mostly worried about them taking it away from me and giving it to someone who wont take time off, but at the same time, I need to be honest with them about it.

Any advice?

Many thanks.

Caroline. Xxx

Comments

• chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Caroline

Sorry no one has seen this yet to give you some advise and I am not sure how much I can help as this doesn't apply to me at the moment, but just wanted to bump this up so others might see it.
    I think the law has recently changed so that employers are not allowed to ask about health issues and they clearly have employed you on merit but perhaps it would be best to come clean at the start and let them know your situation, rather than worrying that it could become a problem later. They can't discriminate against you on health grounds and may be happy to allow any appointment times you need anyway.
    Not sure if you have your blood tests with the GP or the hospital but I do know people who do manage to get appointments outside working hours which might help you avoid any dilemmas so it wouldn't hurt to check with them if you prefer not to tell your new employer just yet.
    Hope someone else can advise here. Good luck with the new job
    Chris
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    HI & sorry I didn't see this before :oops:

I can't give you any advice that I know is up-to-date as I haven't worked for 8 years now :( but I would suggest that you contact the Arthritis Care helplines people either on the number at the top right hand corner of this page, or by email or on their helpline forums. (they are open 10am - 4pm weekdays)

you are certainly not the only person who will ahve been in this position, and they could talk things through with you and maybe point you in the direction of specific support for this difficult matter.

good luck!
    WOnky
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    cazaline wrote:
    Hey how is everyone today? I'm just wondering how flexible everyones employers are about them having time off work for Arthur hospital/docs/blood/physio related appointments etc.

I was recently offered a job with a company and I start on the 1st of November. I have also recently started taking Methotrexate and have to have blood tests fortnightly, but because I've only just got this job, I'm so reluctant to take time off work so soon for appointments and stuff. Is there any way you can have bloods done outside of office hours?

The employers also aren't aware of my RA, I'm not quite sure how to approach the situation. During previous interviews I've had to declare it on application forms, but this one, I didn't have to fill one in, and I wasn't sure how to bring it up in the interview and so I never did. in all honesty, I wasn't expecting to be offered the job position so now that I have I'm not sure what to do, I guess I'm mostly worried about them taking it away from me and giving it to someone who wont take time off, but at the same time, I need to be honest with them about it.

Any advice?

Many thanks.

Caroline. Xxx

It is very difficult, I personally would wait till you start to mention your RA. They aren't supposed to discriminate against disability but its a sad fact that it does happen - however it is harder once you've started.
    They may be fantastically supportive like my current employer. I have no problems with time off for appointments - I can take them whenever I want. However I don't like doing this and never have, so I try to minimise the effect of them by getting appointments when I can around lunchtimes (I used to also try the beginning or end of the day and work extra hours) ad taking the time I would have done for my break.
    I do have days when its not possible to avoid it but I think the fact that I try my hardest to make up for the effect helps on these days. If you do decide to tell them about the RA perhaps go in emphasising the positives .....your willingness to prove yourself etc rather than any negatives.
    I have no ideas what your rights are with regards to getting time off but you may want to check with CAB
    Good luck with the job, I hope that it works out for you
    Chrissie
  • cazaline
    cazaline Member Posts: 61
    Apologies for the late response to you all. Thanks Chris for your input. When I had an interview I didn't have to fill in an application form (maybe to do with the law change?), but on my first day they gave us one to fill in, so I stuck it on the health section, gave it back to them, but nothing has been said about it. As I have been training the past week, I haven't really had much of a chance to approach anyone about it, but have now been assigned to a team, so I think, if I can find the courage, I will speak to my Team Manager about it.

Thanks Wonky yes I think it would be a good idea to contact the helpline and get a bit of advice off them first. On another note, the surgery I am registered to (which consists of 3 surgeries) has a Saturday clinic where I can have blood tests and docs appointments on the Saturday mornings which is good, the only annoying thing being is that I have to drop off my bloods to the hospital myself, but it is on my way home from the docs anyway so no big deal. Of course this won't be a solution for when I have to have my Rheumy appointments.

Chrissie I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to take time off for hospital appointments, so I will try and get mine in the mornings from now on if I can...the only issue here is I have a 40 min commute both to and from work which is a bit of a pain, but I do recall the guy training us saying that they can make exceptions for time off under special circumstances, so fingers crossed on that one!

I appreciate everyones help on this :).

Caroline. Xxx
  • Africa
    Africa Member Posts: 22
    Hi

I am a personnel manager for a large company and our policy would be that if you gave us over 24hrs notice then this would be a planned absence and therfore not incur any adverse consequences on your absence record - you would be able to pay the time back or take it as unpaid or as a holiday.

I've only JUST been told I have R Arthritusa and awaiting further tests etc - I thank God I know all the ruels cos I'd be worried like you. Although you'd be coverd by the DDA it doesnt exempt you completly but it does give you a lot of protection and support.

When I have to go to clinic etc I'll take it as unpaid rather than 'go sick' as it will be beneficial in the long run. The theory is that if you plan the absence then your manager whio is paid to manage can cover the gap with overtime or shift changes.

Hope that helps