Holiday ideas - how to have fun when you have arthritis!

alarkra
alarkra Member Posts: 213
edited 27. Oct 2010, 16:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hello!

With my new job I have got 4 1/2 days of leave that I MUST use before Christmas (I'm off Christmas anyway, so don't have to use leave days).

Now I'm an independant traveller, so usually I'd jump on a plane to anywhere and go a bit nuts exploring the city and getting into the culture and adventuring around 18 - 20 hours a day! However, as I'm currently under the thumb of RA, I want to know where would be good to go (can be in the UK or abroad), places where you have been, or activity holidays you have done, which you can recommend which are enjoyable but don't wear you out too much which you have coped with physically when not feeling so great. I'm planning on going on my own as my friends never can get dates to match mine, however, I make friends very fast, so am never really a lone traveller. :p

I'd love to book something over the weekend using your suggestions! :)

It'll be nice to have something exciting to look forward to and I'm so keen to hear what you have to recommend! :wink:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Where are you based and how far would you be willing to travel? Do you drive or are you considering trains/coaches etc - or does that depend on what people suggest? I would go for a city break - we have a fair few scattered around the country and some beauties too. I would love to go to Durham, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow, for example (tho not all on the sane trip). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    I'm willing to travel up to 3 hours by plane or do something as far as Edinburgh via plane / coach. I live outside West London way, in the shires, so I'm pretty close to airports and happy to drive. I just don't want to waste 4 days off staying a home - I did that by force for 2 months solid when I was really sick, so it'll be good to get away!! :P I was thinking somewhere with pretty Christmas markets maybe? :D
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Chester does lovely Xmas market.
    It's a beautiful city :D
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    we went majorca not red hot this time of year but plenty of walking and swimming in sea and plenty to see if that what you want also up in alcudia lots of bikes. but it a matter of preference where ever you decide i am sure you will enjoy it
    val
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    If it's scenery, coasts, castles etc that you like, try Alnwick Northumberland, it's easy access from the A1 if that helps, and is stunning.. We usually go up there around now and if you look around on some websites for hotels (not mentionin any names, #coughs# L8rooms.c0m) you should get a reasonable deal..

Have fun wherever you end up.. Let us know

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    how about prague
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Have you considered Bruges :?: It is easy to get to on Eurostar via Brussels, and it is a very enjoyable place to visit. It is fairly compact, and being in Belgium it is flat, so easy for walking around. There are Christmas markets there, and it is a wonderful place for chocoholics.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tmcclymont
    tmcclymont Member Posts: 6
    how about hireing a motorhome and driving to the placesthat you want to see ,that is what we do .
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    tmcclymont wrote:
    how about hireing a motorhome and driving to the placesthat you want to see ,that is what we do .

That's a great idea. All those hidden away places rarely seen
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Hi I agree with Joan, Bruge is lovely we went in the summer had a lovely few days there, it is a bit pricey though (London prices) but i very much enjoyed it.
    PS i do love chocolate :D
    Hope you have a nice time where ever you go
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    joanlawson wrote:
    Have you considered Bruges :?: It is easy to get to on Eurostar via Brussels, and it is a very enjoyable place to visit. It is fairly compact, and being in Belgium it is flat, so easy for walking around. There are Christmas markets there, and it is a wonderful place for chocoholics.

Joan

I have been to this place. We went on the Ferry. I have been on Eurostar but went to EuroDisney with grandson.

But Bruges is a very nice place to visit.

Trish xx