Maci Procedure

Options
multimac
multimac Member Posts: 11
edited 1. Dec 2011, 08:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I am in the process of going through treatment for osteoarthritis (both knees), I have suffered for several years with symptoms varying, some days I would hardly know it was there (except for cracking my knees into life in the morning) and some days it was unbearable, but every day life goes on.
I have had 5 ops on my left knee and one on my right the cartilage has worn down to bone on bone.
This procedure which i am going through replaces all the worn and damaged cartilage with cartilage taken from my knee and grown in a lab.
The surgeon performing the operation has a web site which explains the procedure www.cartilage-repair.co.uk .
I don't know whether this is going to work and it can be a long process but i will keep people informed of my progress.
The cartilage cells have been removed and sent off to be grown in the lab, my next op is on the 14th December.
fingers crossed.

Comments

• sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Multimac

I wish I was offered this type of treatment. I've had one total knee replacement and will have another one early next year. I have not been presented with any other alternative. I have no joint left in the other knee - it is bone on bone. In fact I didn't even know there was an alternative.

I hope it works for you and I'm sure many of us would like to know if it is successful. The very best of luck to you.

Tell me is this offered on the NHS?

Sharmaine
    multimac wrote:
    Hi All

I am in the process of going through treatment for osteoarthritis (both knees), I have suffered for several years with symptoms varying, some days I would hardly know it was there (except for cracking my knees into life in the morning) and some days it was unbearable, but every day life goes on.
    I have had 5 ops on my left knee and one on my right the cartilage has worn down to bone on bone.
    This procedure which i am going through replaces all the worn and damaged cartilage with cartilage taken from my knee and grown in a lab.
    The surgeon performing the operation has a web site which explains the procedure www.cartilage-repair.co.uk .
    I don't know whether this is going to work and it can be a long process but i will keep people informed of my progress.
    The cartilage cells have been removed and sent off to be grown in the lab, my next op is on the 14th December.
    fingers crossed.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    I was reading about this a couple of weeks ago, it sounds very interesting, I honestly think this is the way forward.
    I really do hope it works for you.
    Barbarax
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Wow Multimac, that sounds interesting. I hope it works for you. Which knee are they doing or they doing both? Keep us posted. Can I ask you how old you are?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi Multimac i will keep my eye on your progress i had a tkr end April and feel its not right , other one needs doing but if there is an alternative i thing i would give it a go, good luck hope it works x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi multimac :D

I've heard of this procedure but this is the first time I've heard of anyone undergoing it! Good luck and I hope it is successful for you.

For those of us with damaged knees this holds so much hope and promise.

I followed the link you posted... and as well as there being a very clear explanation of the two part op it also seems to imply that it's only available to private patients as it refers to 'checking with insurers?? and includes a price list for consultation..
    ...... or am I reading it wrong.?

Are you having this done via the NHS or privately multimac?

sorry to be so nosey...(as you've raised the subject I'm hoping you're Ok with being asked)... but it would be helpful to know whether it's a viable option on the NHS.

many thanks!

Iris x
  • multimac
    multimac Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi All

Thanks for the interest.
    I had the arthroscopy on tuesday 19/10/10, this would determine if I was a suitable patient for the procedure.
    I was and the cartilage cells were removed and sent off.
    This has all been done through the NHS so I feel rather lucky as there were 2 other people in been checked for the procedure nether of which was suitable.
    The Left knee is the first to be done and then if it is successful i will have the right knee done.
    If you follow the link to www.cartilage-repair.co.uk you will see it is a lengthy procedure.
    I seem to have been lucky as I was passed on to Mr Spalding by a consultant i was under at Hospital.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying. That is just so encouraging multimac :D

so perhaps there is hope that this approach might be rolled out and access to the op available to those reliant on the good old NHS :D
    .... at least we can ask knowing that it is possible!

please do let us know how you get on.

Iris x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Multimac

It all sounds very interesting. I have had two TKRs in the past two years and it is fantastic. I can now dig over the allotment no problem, go walking again etc :lol:

I am interested to know how exactly it is defined whether you are eligible for this type of repair or not. I also wonder how many other surgeons are doing this in the UK.

I wish you well with it all, you must let us know how you go on.

Elna x

ps I have just been reading up about the procedure and it is no good for peeps with RA of the knees nor for peeps over the age of 55.
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • JANEYM
    JANEYM Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I AM CURRENTLY ON THE WAITING LIST TO HAVE THE MACI PROCEDURE ALSO WITH MR SPALDING AND WOULD BE INTERESTED TO HEAR HOW SUCCESSFUL THIS TREATMENT HAS BEEN :???:
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Multimac,
    I had this done in 2004 at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore under Mr Carrington. It was called a cartilage transplant (Autologous cartilage transplantation).
    The recovery period was a long one; was initially in a full-leg back slab and on a hospital bed for 4 days unable to move; then put in a fibre cast full leg cast for a further 10 days. Once that had been taken off and clips out I then started physio.
    A year post-op I had an arthroscopy to check the success of this and all I'd grown was fibrocartilage - scar tissue. Therefore I was part of the 20-25% failure rate. Because of this I said I wouldn't have it done again but the RNOH weren't keen on re-doing it in any event.
    Now, just because it failed for me doesn't mean it will fail for you. Be prepared though for the possibility of a full length leg cast (may well be knee braces now though) and the recovery. You'll need at least 6 weeks off work once you're home and lots and lots of physio.
    Interestingly, when I subsequently had a partial knee replacement to the same knee in 2009 my scar was odd. I was told that I have a hypertrophic scar. Basically my body goes into overdrive when healing and I make too much scar tissue and I suspect that's what happened to the graft.
    I wish you all the luck in the world however. Prepare yourself for this physically as getting out and about straight after is problematic. If you want further details please PM me and I'd be happy to support you through this process.
    All the best,
    Grace.
    Turn a negative into a positive!