Problems with hip

Options
josiec
josiec Member Posts: 386
edited 26. Oct 2010, 18:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
Hope you are all okay, I have been popping on and reading but not posting much-since I started a new job at school time has been flying by! I will try to get on more, though and support others - don't want it to be one-sided!!
A quick question about hips if you don't mind-I know I have some arthritis in mine for 2-3 years but recently I have had several episodes of the hip feeling like it is clunking out of place and a couple of times where the pain is so sudden and severe I have been unable to move until it has passed. Has anyone experienced this and is it typical of osteoarthritis?
Many thanks,
Josie xx

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Josie - doesn't school just take over?! Hope you are enjoying it though.

I think it is time for you to ask for an appointment with an ortho and/or x rays to find out what is going on with your hip.

At first I had pain when I overdid it, then it became an always there deep, grinding pain that never went away and kept me up awake at night.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Josie
    Sorry...late on today....Like speedy says time to ask for a referral to an ortho. Mine was originally nagging all the time then got worse...not sure about the clunking but think you should see the GP and ask for a referral

Love
    Hileena
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Hi. my hip used to lock when i sat down sometimes and i would have to walk bent in half.
    the only thing that helped was lying on the bed and trying to straighten myself slowly-very painful
    i walked half a mile in blackpool once after we'd been out bent in half- absolutely exhausted when i got to the hotel.
    that was the year before my hip re-surface
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Josie

I found my bad hip went through a few stages - first of all a dull ache, then my leg kept giving way, then constant grinding pain and kind-of 'locking' which left me bent double..

I had my hip replaced in May this year and it's been excellent..

Don't leave it too long to be seen by an orthpaedic surgeon (I left it until I was on two sticks and could hardly walk from car to house and I regretted not having it done sooner)

I was very scared of having the operation, but wouldn't hesitate to have my other one replaced in the future if need be..

Marion
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Because I didn't push it it took me almost 2 years to be diagnosed with OA.Once I saw the surgeon, in 6 weeks I hd my hip replaced.4 weeks after the op no pain from the OA a little bit of discomfort still from the op,But getting around great now.Go for it you won't regret it :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Josie

I think that osteo goes in stages so i am told and likely yours needs looking at again I agree with the others - things have moved on and it needs investigation :?

Good luck

Love

toni xx
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Hi josie
    Yes, unfortunately those symptoms are very familiar to me & I only re-iterate what others have said. It is possible, depending on your age they may offer you an injection under X-ray before operating although many surgeons don't like this as they believe it can weaken the ligaments. I had two of these though, myself & the first was amazing - the pain relief was so good a couple of days after & it allowed me to continue working in a very physical job for a full year before I needed replacement
    pennie
  • josiec
    Options
    Oh dear!! :( Thankyou though for your replies. I will make a doctor's appointment on Monday, have been putting it off for weeks. Can't deal with needing anything else done at the moment though - tis only 6 months since I had my foot sorted. I can't need a hip replacement in my thirties. Oh well, will go and see what he says! Thanks again. X
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi josiec :D

You've had lots of good advice from the 'hip' peeps already :D:wink:

As they have said.... don't delay in asking to see an ortho. :!:

... and please let us know how you get on.

Iris x

ps... glad you've been enjoying your new job.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Josie,

Good to see you! Glad things were pk till your hip started cus was wondering how your foot was.

My hips used to do that and wouldn't let up but they seem t have opted for less movement and less pain now. Tis best to get them seen though and hopefully its not anything too bad for you. Take care and am really pleased to see you. Cris xx
  • josiec
    Options
    Hi Cris, sorry I've not done very well at being around recently!! New role at school is taking up a lot of time - hopefully I will get faster as become more experienced at it! The foot's doing v well -better than they expected I think! I have some pain and stiffness in the morning but can usually wriggle that out fairly quickly and it's a thousand times better than it was before for walking on with and without shoes so am a happy bunny with it! Hope things okay with you :)
  • josiec
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Have spoken to the doctor about my hip (haven't actually seen him due to new system, but that's another story!) and he has referred me to physio armed with my xray report from a year ago, so we'll see what comes of that.
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    josiec wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    Have spoken to the doctor about my hip (haven't actually seen him due to new system, but that's another story!) and he has referred me to physio armed with my xray report from a year ago, so we'll see what comes of that.

I think you should have a more recent x-ray. A lot can happen in a year. The physio might say the same thing.
    I do hope the physio is enough though.
    Good luck
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Josie

Yes I had the same sudden bursts of pain and a locking feeling in my hip last year and was referred to physio and hydro which did help for a long time. The arthritis didn't go away of course, but those symptoms seemed to have burned out for me now. Must admit I found the hydro pool wonderful if you get chance to have some sessions do try it.
    take care
    Chris