TKR --one year on !!!!!!

Options
dorothykd
dorothykd Member Posts: 8
edited 28. Oct 2010, 12:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
:(Hi everyone---I have often read these posts but first time I plucked up courage to write !!
I had a TKR almost a year ago. I made a good recovery--doing excercises--static riding and hydrotherapy most days.
I was just at a point of thinking I would go back to work -I am an RGN --I had had off days etc but on the whole went with the flow.
One thing I had a lot was a feeling of a very tight band around my knee--the physios--just said give it time--HOW much though ???
We went Jersey 6/10/10 for hols for 5 days--did walking--went down to the beaches and went swimming in the sea.
then one day==2 days before we were due home I came upon a gent who had just collapsed

I of course did CPR without thinking
my left knee was kneeling on chipping type surface---my affected knee--I couldnt tell you wot position that was in.In the end the paramedics came.
The next day and until a couple of weeks ago my knee wasn't too bad and then as i went to open our gate i felt this terrifc pain accross top of knee like a knife and it gave way.
I saw gp had x ray--official report not back--but x-ray guy said it was ok.I am back to using a crutch---i have asked for a second opinion==my gp agrees with me but the road back to the surgeon will be long so we are asking at first to see someone privately.
has anyone else had major complications foll tkr--i NEVER expected to be here one year on. SORRY for length :(

Comments

• zechariah
    zechariah Member Posts: 222
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am 7 months post TKR and can barely walk, the muscle wastage is massive and I use a wheelchair, I sometimes regret the surgery.

I was a firefighter and so understand what you did, it is a natural reaction to help even if we suffer in the course of that duty!

I hope it gets back to the way it was soon!
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    This is such a setback for you Dorothy. Let`s hope it`s a temporary one.

I had my TKR two and a half years ago, and recovered very quickly, with no further pain. Your experience - and Zech`s - makes me realise how very lucky I`ve been.

You need some answers now. Try not to worry too much until you get them.....easier said!! I will be very interested to know you get on.......Ange.x.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Dorothy :)

I am sorry to hear that you are in pain post op. I have more or less forgotten about my TKR at the end of January this year. My consultant said that it can take anything upto 18 months to be over the operation though. We are all different.

I am sorry you have suffered a setback after helping someone who had collapsed. You may well have overworked the operated knee as at the time your only thoughts were for the welfare of this man and you "forgot" about your knee. It is not that long since your holiday so perhaps by giving the knee a little TLC with Rest, Ice and Elevation it may well improve. As for the tightness you are experiencing it may be scar tissue but your consultant should be able to help you with that problem. I have read on forums about others having this problem so it must be fairly common.

It is good that you have had xrays and are seeking a second opinion, for your own peace of mind.

Do let us know how you go on,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    HI

Reading this post I guess ideally you should not have knelt as you did but sometimes we go into autopilot when others need us more.....Zecariah's reply scares the **** out of me, Ive honestly never heard of anyone being that bad after TKR and am now in worry mode....I havent had a TKR but am hoping to undergo a half replacement knee next year...

Frightened....

Elainex
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Dorothy

As a former St. John Ambulance volunteer I would have done the same as you - that training stays with you forever. I had my TKR in February and thankfully things have gone very well. I certainly don't get the pain I used to get in that knee. I have the odd dull ache if I overdo things. Some folks have had a bad experience and I often think it should be a requirement that people going for these ops should be given pre op physio to strengthen thigh muscles.

Fingers crossed that nothing too serious is wrong. Let us know how you get on.

Take care
    Sharmaine
    X
    dorothykd wrote:
    :(Hi everyone---I have often read these posts but first time I plucked up courage to write !!
    I had a TKR almost a year ago. I made a good recovery--doing excercises--static riding and hydrotherapy most days.
    I was just at a point of thinking I would go back to work -I am an RGN --I had had off days etc but on the whole went with the flow.
    One thing I had a lot was a feeling of a very tight band around my knee--the physios--just said give it time--HOW much though ???
    We went Jersey 6/10/10 for hols for 5 days--did walking--went down to the beaches and went swimming in the sea.
    then one day==2 days before we were due home I came upon a gent who had just collapsed

I of course did CPR without thinking
    my left knee was kneeling on chipping type surface---my affected knee--I couldnt tell you wot position that was in.In the end the paramedics came.
    The next day and until a couple of weeks ago my knee wasn't too bad and then as i went to open our gate i felt this terrifc pain accross top of knee like a knife and it gave way.
    I saw gp had x ray--official report not back--but x-ray guy said it was ok.I am back to using a crutch---i have asked for a second opinion==my gp agrees with me but the road back to the surgeon will be long so we are asking at first to see someone privately.
    has anyone else had major complications foll tkr--i NEVER expected to be here one year on. SORRY for length :(
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Dorothy,

I am ex ambulance and so with you though once you have the training you do it regardless and it might not be connected?

You said how long and well ortho surgery can take very log time to settle. One of the orthos told me it was a good 18 months. Could you have twisted it and got a ligament gone maybe?

If you haven#t already got one pending I would ask to go back to the ortho's and let them have a look at it. I really hope its a quick fix and eases off on its own. Fingers crossed for you Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Dorothy

I think you should be proud of yourself - you might have saved that person's life.

sorry it might have added to YOUR troubles though :(

I totally agree with you about getting it checked out even if it can take up to 18 months to get over - this pain is new to you isnt it?

Good luck and us lot will support you all the way.

Love

toni xx
  • stralachlan
    stralachlan Member Posts: 40
    Options
    My mum had a TKR just under a year ago, and she still complains of that same feeling of a tight band around her leg. She's not got full knee bend back either.

The hospital didnt seem worried, so I recently told her to go and see a private physio in case they could advise on more exercises to do. Dont know if she will though.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Dorothy,

I had my knees replaced 10 years ago - I too get that tight feeling but that's usually when I've overdone things.

You probably had it in a bad position when you were kneeling on it, weight bearing and for a prolonged period so this has possibly interfered with the soft tissue. (I won't kneel on my knees as I don't like the feeling.)

Do as Elna suggests and give it some TLC, your x-rays will also help see what's going on.

Well done for being so selfless and helping the man.

Let us know how you go on.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'