Steroid Injections for Bursitis

Options
sharovbetty
sharovbetty Member Posts: 4
edited 25. Oct 2010, 07:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm new to this so hi! Can someone please tell me if they have had steroid injections to treat bursitis - ultrasound, anti inflammatories and ice have not helped significantly. I've been told that steroid injections will probably be next course of action. I'd like to know if particularly if they are painful (!) and will I be able to go back to work next day or do you have to "rest up" afterwards? Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply to me.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I know someone who has, and she is away from the forums today and tomorrow. Sorry! I cannot help but I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi there

I had a bursa removed about 3 months ago because it was leaking through a sinus track. I kept trying to ignore it and I think in some cases you can but mine was always getting infected. I had a mri scan to confirm this. The surgeon who did my op under local anaesthetic said he could not guarantee that it will not come back. BUT he had done a lady in a similar position to myself and hers went completely.
    My bursa and sinus was at the end of my stump as I am a below knee amputee. The bursa appears as it is tryin to protect it. AH!

I was never offered steroid injections to get rid of it, perhaps because it kept getting infected.

I have just started wearing proshetic leg again after over 7 months of being without. My problem now is that it is taking forever to heal properly. With just the tiniest hole you ould ever imagine refusing to get better.

I would try the injections first if I were you and yes you might have to rest a couple of days, and hopefully this will work for you and get rid of it. Prosthetics said it can be dispersed back into the body. (don't know how) You just take their word, Mine didn't.

Just wishing you good luck. Sorry I cannot be more help. Please keep us informed as to how you go on.

JuliePF x If you like you could always pm me.
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    Hi I've had them
    for a bursa on my knee and one on my hip
    the knee wasn't too bad and it did ease it, it wasn't painful until about 12 hours later when the local anaesthetic wore off and I realised i’d overdone it as usual but it did the trick. The injection wasn’t nice but it wasn’t terrible either
    The hip was more painful and took 2 attempts to get it in the right place but I also had an underlying problem with my arthritic hip so that complicated it – this however bloody hurt and seeing the size of the needle it wasn’t surprising that it did....hips are awkward to get to apparently...I had an injection into the hip itself and another one into the bursa at the side.
    This took a few days to recover from and then I did have to also take it easy but it really helped
    So to summarise yet they did hurt but not unbearably so but it was worth it for the relief
    Chrissie