Panicky Pains?

Options
sunnyhours
sunnyhours Member Posts: 151
edited 27. Oct 2010, 06:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
The recent flares I've been having are kinda different...they make my breathing heavier and make me kinda panicky...I feel extremely uncomfortable and it makes me panic since I can't stop it...
Anyone else having this?
Thanks, Fred (SunnyHours)

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Fred
    No I dont get it but I do think it should be checked out by your GP
    Anything like that I would go to him/her and if they think you need referring to someone they'll do it

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think that's you sunnyhours, I think you are scaring yourself into hyperventialtion. If the pain feels different then that can induce uncertainty and even panic. Does this happen mostly at night? Night pains are far worse than day pains, simply because the distractions are not so plentiful. You could be starting panic attackes so it may well be worth your while going to the doc if you can to see what advice and strategies he can give you. Find a brown paper bag: breathing in and out into the bag increases something (can't remember what, too much pain) and that helps to ease the hyperventialtion. You have a lot going in your life at the mo, and I think you are quite unsettled at the moment, which will not help. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sunnyhours
    edited 26. Oct 2010, 06:04
    Options
    Well I have anxiety issues as well as ADD and migraines so myGP wants to wait to get my blood test to make a "plan" based on whether i have RA or Lupus or any other autoimmune disease...
    And you are quite right it does happen mostly at night or when I'm really or in deep pain...it out of my control and it hard to manage these kinda constant pain...
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It is, and I empathise. There is nothing more distressing or demoralising than constant pain - I do think pain killers is a mis-nomer, pain dullers is much more accurate. I try to use visualisation techniques - balling the pain up and throwing it away works quite well, as does rest! It can be very difficult to control the anxiety, especially at night, but panicking does make it far worse. Trying to exercise some control can help. Go and see your doctor, see what he can adivse. Focus your energies on your plans for the future, they are positive and a good thing. Take care. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Fred

Glad your GP is monitoring you and is trying to help.

It could well be a panic-attack - have done it myself and was getting very real scary panic-attacks :(

Please do take care and let us know how you get on.

Love

Toni xx
  • sunnyhours
    Options
    I've had pretty severe Anxiety before...including panic attacks...I know they aren't panic attacks, although they very well may be a cross between anxiety and pain, creating a new and fearsome opponent...
    I reached the clinic of my doctor to get an appointment sooner, however there's nothing available before the 14 of December and I'm not the pushy type of person so I've never gotten to speak to a doctor by phone and I'm pretty lost as to what I should do about it...it seems to be recurring a lot (it's my 3 night like that)
    Thanks,
    Fred (SunnyHours)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I remember as a child gasping and fighting for breath due to chronic asthma. Distraction always worked, and it does to this day with the pain. I do something else, no matter what time of day or night, I do something else to take my mind off it. Yes, I could sit there and focus on it all and think it's all getting worse but what's the point? I think you could be setting yourself into a cycle of behaviour here sunnyhours, please be careful. Just because you have had three bad nights does not mean it will become four. Keep a book by your bed, listen to some music, even watch TV, but try to distract yourself. The nights are worse as everything is quieter, I think we all know that feeling well! How are the college plans coming along? DD