RA and Hearing Loss

masaka
masaka Member Posts: 47
edited 27. Oct 2010, 13:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

Anybody know of a link between RA and hearing loss? I seem to have aquired hearing loss in addition to all of my other problems. Given I think my immune system problems seemed to start with a major ear infection about 9 years ago I have wondered for a while if there might be a link.

Also has anyone else experienced headaches with Methotrexate?

How long before I might expect some effect from it - I have been on it about 5 weeks now and so far the RA seems as bad as ever.
Thanks,

Teresa

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can't help on the hearing loss thing (I have tinnitus thanks to sulphasalazine) but the meth can take anywhere from 2-12 weeks to begin to have an effect. Everyone varies in their response to it and in how effective it is. The dosage level can be important too: if you are starting low and building then it could take longer. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • masaka
    I think I am on quite a low dose 10mg per week? I see the RA Nurse at the end of Nov when I assume we will review it.

Thanks,

Teresa
  • dreamdaisy
    Did you start at that dose? That does seem quite low to me but it is amazing how much we all vary in how we are treated. I can't remember now what doasge I had when on tablets, but I do remember it did nothing. Not everything works, it can be exasperating trying to find the right combination of medications to bring relief. How long have you been diagnosed for, and are you on anything else or tried anything else? I hope you are having a reasonable day today. DD
  • masaka
    Hello,

I have had RA for 5 or 6 years now, duff hips since birth leading to first THR at 26, second was a revision op 18 months ago. The remaining hip is arthritic as well. My left side is a bit wonky as well. I am on sulphalazine alongside the Methotrexate and have been for about 5 years, plus iron, plus pain killers, plus quinine sulphate for the muscle cramps. Not to mention stuff for eyes and ears.

I have been in a flare up for quite a while and at the moment just feel totally exhausted the whole time.

Hence I decided against returning to work this September. A totally unsupportive head teacher whose idea of reasonable adjustments was doubling my teaching load has put the kybosh on the working caper. I am 47 and have always worked full time so I am feeling very odd at the moment.

Thanks for your support,

Teresa
  • dreamdaisy
    Five years on sulph and meth - with little benefit? Have you not been considered for an anti TNF? I'm on my third and they can work very well for some. You poor thing, your arthritis does not sound well-controlled, I do empathise. It can be very tough to deal with and you sound as tho you are going thro the mill. I am sorry about the not working either - I can see exactly why you might be feeling a little strange. I am a teacher but have worked for a number of years as a private tutor for dyslexics - did you hear about the dyslexic man who walked into a bra? :D Now, however, I am close to giving up. I no longer have the stamina. It is very frustrating. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Teresa
    Sorry I cant help with your question, I just want to give you some support
    I do hope you get help with the medication very soon.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • masaka
    The sulph worked quite well for a couple of years, although I can't remember when I last had any energy, or felt well. The fatigue element of RA has always been bad for me.

I was/am the head of SEN in a mainstream school, which is becoming a thankless job for anybody these days. I have realised that I can't manage days that involve getting up at 6.15 and finishing working at 9 or 10 at night. I actually don't think anybody should have to do that, but that is a separate issue.

I suspect with me that it is the cumalative effect of several different disabilities that are beating me now. Either one of them I could manage, but all of them together are a bit much now.

The RA is vicious - any liberties and it bites back. I can totally understand your frustration.

Thanks,
    Teresa

dreamdaisy wrote:
    Five years on sulph and meth - with little benefit? Have you not been considered for an anti TNF? I'm on my third and they can work very well for some. You poor thing, your arthritis does not sound well-controlled, I do empathise. It can be very tough to deal with and you sound as tho you are going thro the mill. I am sorry about the not working either - I can see exactly why you might be feeling a little strange. I am a teacher but have worked for a number of years as a private tutor for dyslexics - did you hear about the dyslexic man who walked into a bra? :D Now, however, I am close to giving up. I no longer have the stamina. It is very frustrating. DD