whats the point of cocodamol

Options
bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 28. Oct 2010, 05:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
As i have been in a lot of discomfort i thought i would resort to the cocodamol last night in the hope they would help , did they help NO just gave me a stonking head ache this morning , why do things make matters worse x
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• jonkarra
    jonkarra Member Posts: 2
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Can't take cocodamol due to the paracetamol but was prescribed codine which did not help at all. A locum doc put me onto celebrex which have helped quite a bit.
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    Options
    i came off them. paracetamol werent strong enough so gp changed them to cocodamol and all i did was sleep, feel sick, spaced out and constantly tired....
    ended up back on paracetamol...the pains were stronger but at least i felt alert
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 27. Oct 2010, 10:52
    Options
    Again, it's a matter of what suits who. Co-cos are fine with me, they are metabolised by the liver into morphine (I think) and a lot of people cannot tolerate morphine. Paracetamol doesn't cut the mustard for me, they lack clout. It is a difficult area, there are alternative types of pain relief but I cannot remember, bertyboy, which ones you have tried! I hope your GP can give you some advice. DD

I forgot to state the dose, sorry: 30/500
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Bertygirl

I am sorry that the cocos did not do you much good. I think you may perhaps have to use them regularly, not just every now and again. Perhaps you need an anti inflam too, if you don't already, and they work better if taken regularly too. I wonder what strength of cocos you have. Have they been prescribed or over the counter ones, which are weaker.

I hope your headache goes as quickly as it arrived.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 27. Oct 2010, 08:33
    Options
    Hi bertyboy,

I agree with Elna... pain meds need to be taken regularly as prescribed in order to keep a lid on the pain of arther. :roll:

If the cococs don't agree with you and paracetamol doesn't 'cut the mustard' (as DD said :wink: ) then go back and see your doc as there are alternative meds that you might be able to try and that may be more effective :D

Being in constant pain drags you down.... so don't suffer berty... go see the doc!

hope you get it sorted out soon... and that the headache lifts.

Iris xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Just shows how different meds affect us differently.
    All differening opinions on it
    I hope your headache goes soon....are you going to contact the GP again about different pain relief?

Love
    Hileena
  • amberring
    amberring Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Cocodamol made me feel seasick because of the codeine. My GP then tried me on tramadol although he was convinced it would have the same effect as they are related, but thankfully I had no problems with them, so it's worth trying different options to find something that works for you.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Poor Berty :(

I have to build up to those - you know you can buy cocos 8mg over the counter with paracetamol 500 and maybe they will not send you so headachy :(

Love

Toni xx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    thanks folks they are prescribed by dr but he wont change things i have to see consultant on the 12th nov , i do take diclo and parecetomol, no dont panic i hadent had any parecetomol before i took the cocods was just getting desperate lol its not long till the 12th hopefully get some answers x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Berty
    I have only just just realised reading your thread , why I am getting such bad headaches I never would have put it down to the meds.
    I do hope you get some help very soon, its awful when they make you wait for your next appointment.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Berty, what dose are your co-cods? I found too low were no better than smarties and too high made me feel awful. Tinkered with the dose and found what worked best for me. Had to gradually increase the codeine aspect as body got used to them (still within the allowed parameters.) You could try one co-cod and one paracetomol? Hopefully consultant will be helpful than GP!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Regarding headaches, I was on paracetamol, df118's and Nabematone for a lot of years and started getting severe headaches, turned out to be the paracetamol, shouldn't really take them for about ten years apparently :roll:
    Headaches stopped soon after I finished with the paracetamol.
    That was about three yrs ago, I am now back on them along with tramdol 50mg, 2 four times a day, Diclofenac 75mg SR, 1 twice a day, and Hydoxycloroquine, but I don't remember the strength of those, but it's just one a day..
    I hope the headaches don't start again!!

(I was supposed to be on morphine, started on it last friday, lasted less than 3 days and had to go back to the old routine and more pain but at least I felt alive and not so ill)

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Berty, what dose are your co-cods? I found too low were no better than smarties and too high made me feel awful. Tinkered with the dose and found what worked best for me. Had to gradually increase the codeine aspect as body got used to them (still within the allowed parameters.) You could try one co-cod and one paracetomol? Hopefully consultant will be helpful than GP!

Speedy

I did the same Sopeedy - had to start pff taking them at night and build up enough tolerance to them.

Mind you Tone is right - on a packet of 'normal paracetamol' it does warn against taking them too long and my migraine book warns of these headaches too, but dont think taht was you was it Berty?

Love

Toni xx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Bertyboy

I used to take these, then was put onto co-dydramol - none of them really touched the pain. I'm on tramadol these days and they are much better and don't upset my stomach. See you GP.
    How's your headache now?

Take care.
    Sharmaine
    X
    bertyboy wrote:
    As i have been in a lot of discomfort i thought i would resort to the cocodamol last night in the hope they would help , did they help NO just gave me a stonking head ache this morning , why do things make matters worse x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, We are all different and also our bodies get used to the medication we take, so sometimes just a simple change in medication helps. I too wish that their was just one or two painkillers that work for everyone, life would be so much simpler for us all, patients and docs alike!!! :wink: Love Sue