Going to mess with my medications LOL

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 28. Oct 2010, 16:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
If you remember I was on diclofenic at night 75mg slow release and it seemed to be working reasonably well. Not waking up with pain as often as i had been.
When I was told my back had to be treatedbefoe my 2nd THR I thought goodness knows how long it will take to even get an appointment to see consultant {was on paracetamol during the day} I went to the GP to ask for something to top it up IF I NEEDED IT!!!!! If I had a busy or knew I was going to have a busy day or if I was sorer than normal.
In his wisdom he put me on anopther 75mg diclofenic during the day.
Every day.....I know anti inflammatories are better taken regularly but i didnt want something to take all the time on top of paracetamol.
Recently I have been very lethargic, cant be bothered, no energy and very tired. {Not zombie like} I know this weather has a lot to do with it but I think I might try going off the diclofenic during the day and see if that makes adifference.....I think I could cope with a bit more pain during the day if it meant I wasnt as lethargic.
Does all that make sense...probably not :lol: ...It may not make a difference......but I can go back on them again or I have 50mg ones in the house which I might try before going back on 75mg
Not really asking a question.....just trying to sort this out in my mind
Love
Hileena

Comments

• alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's what we are here for, just tell us what you think and feel and we'll let you know if you are being crazy or not :o :shock: :lol:

I hope that you find a happy medium to help you feel a little less in discomfort. :)
  • amboritic
    amboritic Member Posts: 66
    edited 27. Oct 2010, 18:18
    Options
    Are you on other pain killers, such as codiene or tramadol?

As diclofenac isn't a medication that you would normally link with lethargy or fatigue.

It can give abdominal pain though, especially if taken on an empty stomach.

I haven't tried slow release diclofenac and just take 150mg a day spaced out in three 50mg doses.

I personally don't feel much difference, but my CRP was 30 on sulpha, and when it was repeated two months later after being on diclfenac regularly for 6 weeks it was back to normal.

If you can function with just diclofenac and paracetamol then I would count myself lucky. As most of us require some form of opiate.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

Oh flower its not fair is it? Take something to help and become tired or in my case so high I get hallucinations just now. Some aren't nice but the dancing tree in the bedroom... well kind of wish it wouldn't sing as well :lol::lol::lol: (I haven't taken them today at all :wink: )

I been on diclo for so long now I don't remember what they did to begin with... I know I had the 50's 3x a day as needed cus they were always fairly instant and then after the ulcer they put me on 2x 75s/r's and been on them ever since. They kinda work for the inflammation I got, especially in the lumber.

I know back along it was a case of take them as I needed but ow I seem to need them all the time and the slow ones are so much better and easier on the gut as well..... Good luck flower and hopefully they will get back to you with the appointment soon. ((( ))) Cris xx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi,
    No I'm only on paracetamol apart from the max dose of diclofenic.
    Oh yes....stomach liner tab for anti inflammtories. Thats it
    I've been on the paracteamol since being diagnosed?????
    It probably isnt anything to do with the tablets just thought I might try reducing them
    Iwas on tamadol after my first THR and was OK
    dihydrocodeine was the one that was lethal for me....I was like a zombie and no way would I have got behind the wheel of the car....so I soon stopped taking those
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Chris
    We were posting at the same time LOL
    Its not fair that we cant take things to help us without side effects
    How are you now?
    I'll tgry the as and when and see how it goes LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    have youthought of talking to your local pharmacist about he problems you are experiencing?

they are the best people to advise about drugs and it would be a good idea to find out what effect stopping the meds might have & whether the meds are likely to be causing the problems, or whether it is the arthritis that is responsible.

just a thought
    WOnky
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi, I think Wonky's got a good point there. The pharmacist should know what drugs are causing the fatigue. I'm worried you will get a flare if you stop the anti-inflammatory.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Hileena :(

Gosh this is not like you to be lathargic! With all you have to do too :?

A chat with the pharmacist is always a good idea I think and saves the GPs time too.

Would definitely be a good place to start :)

Love

toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 28. Oct 2010, 15:41
    Options
    Hmm, that's a tough one. Who knows best? Probably not us so talk to your doctor or a pharmacist, they should have better information and may well understand the complications these drugs involve. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for all the replies.
    It might be diclofenic it might just be arthur but we'll try cutting down on diclofenic first :|
    I'll probably be up in the village tomorrow and might pop in and talk to the pharmicist then.
    I havent had one today and apart from being stiff...I'm OK.
    I'm stiff because I was at the challenging arthritis course for 3 hours.
    Took about 45 mins to get there and then 1 and a half hours to get home because of the traffic....so no wonder I'm stiff.
    Love
    Hileena
  • rebecca1
    rebecca1 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Please don't hate me for this but I feel I have to give you my story about diclofenic! I also dont want to scare anyone.

I was on diclo for a long time for a bad nurses back/sciatica before the RA. I started feeling very tired but couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. Anyway I had pains in my stomach and shoulders which I put down to indigestion. They would go after a 1/2 hour or round about. Was going to the doctor for months but they didn't know why I would have indigestion.
    One evening I had such pain I couldn't get comphy at all so phoned NHS direct for advice and they sent an ambulance just in case. The paramadics thought it might be a chest infection but took me to hospital to check. Well i was having a heart attack. I am young(ish) so they didn't think. You should have seen them rushing around.lol. I didn't have the usual attack pains.(seemingly women don't always have the crushing left arm pain)
    I needed a couple of stents and they blamed the diclofenic. Something to do with circulation. Seemingly it was considered as a possibility last year.
    Needless to say they took me off it but my own doctor said he hadn't heard till I had my attack ..
    I have looked it all up and all the info can be found at Medline plus. (hope it's okay to mention).
    It's really not my intention to scare anyone but I have to mention it. I hope you all understand. But might be advisable to check with your pharmasist.
    x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Rebecca
    Very interesting story
    Dont know about anyone else....it hasnt scared me just made me more curious.....Recently i've been fishing our my Balliers Nurses dictionary.....also my drugs book...OK know they are old but they give me a start. Must check it on line
    Love
    Hileena
  • rebecca1
    rebecca1 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Rebecca
    Very interesting story
    Dont know about anyone else....it hasnt scared me just made me more curious.....Recently i've been fishing our my Balliers Nurses dictionary.....also my drugs book...OK know they are old but they give me a start. Must check it on line
    Love
    Hileena

Hi Hileena
    Worth A check!..
    x