It's only money

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 31. Oct 2010, 13:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

DID YOU KNOW that we paid the British Potato Council £6 million to get people to eat more potatoes :?:

AND

Officials in Manchester have spent £8000 of tax payer's money on producing a sex guide for over 50s.
If you don't know what you are doing by then, there isn't much hope is there :?: Anyway, this booklet contains a lot of pictures. One of them has an older couple snogging like two sink plungers stuck together. The caption underneath says,'We made the earth move'. Will this booklet, published in association with the NHS be a best seller for Christmas I ask, or will it put you off for life :?:

Oh well, it's only money ( our money :!: :shock: )

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    yes i like chips and a good book and my coco , enough said
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi Joan nothing suprises me these day's, any logic has long since been snuffed out by the loony brigade, oh well were lucky we don't have a world war to fight as we wouldn't last a week!.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Say no more Jaon

say no more :roll:
    sigh.............
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Joan
    Moneys know object here in Manchester, I could pull my hair out sometimes, a friend of our begged the council to help him set up a wrestling club for the young, what did they give him, think you can guess...by the way where do I get the booklet :lol: :shock: :):) :oops:
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • joanlawson
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Joan
    Moneys know object here in Manchester, I could pull my hair out sometimes, a friend of our begged the council to help him set up a wrestling club for the young, what did they give him, think you can guess...by the way where do I get the booklet :lol: :shock: :):) :oops:
    Barbara x

Sounds like they are investing more in a wrestling club for the over 50s, Barbara :!: :lol:
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    down south ear in deepest Oxfordshire OOOOARRRR!, sorry went into Wurzzle mode there!, right back to me thread, wehave loads of silly PC crap to deal with and one of my all time hates is in Ipsden village some council twerp has put up signs with a pastle picture of a mother and child with the words "quiet lane!" god only knows why, no one has any time to look for people walking as they are trying desperatly trying to avoid all the pot holes, it's so bad that some of the back roads that I uase to cycle along as a boy have almost been taken back by nature, they are more like old goat tracks than roads now.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Money's no object practically anywhere provided it's to be spent on something totally useless! Before we moved we had a local issue about some completely meaningless and unpleasant looking 'art work' for the local shopping centre.......which could do with some sensible shops in it.......that would bring the shoppers in!

Er.........do I have to move to Manchester to get one of the booklets?

Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    down south ear in deepest Oxfordshire OOOOARRRR!, sorry went into Wurzzle mode there!, right back to me thread, wehave loads of silly PC crap to deal with and one of my all time hates is in Ipsden village some council twerp has put up signs with a pastle picture of a mother and child with the words "quiet lane!" god only knows why, no one has any time to look for people walking as they are trying desperatly trying to avoid all the pot holes, it's so bad that some of the back roads that I uase to cycle along as a boy have almost been taken back by nature, they are more like old goat tracks than roads now.

Does it mean that you have to be quiet when you go down that lane, Mell :?: I live opposite a couple of shops which are obvious for anyone to see, but recently the council put up a sign a few yards away which says 'Local Shops'. I'm waiting for more to appear eg. 'Road', 'Pavement'
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Money's no object practically anywhere provided it's to be spent on something totally useless! Before we moved we had a local issue about some completely meaningless and unpleasant looking 'art work' for the local shopping centre.......which could do with some sensible shops in it.......that would bring the shoppers in!

Er.........do I have to move to Manchester to get one of the booklets?

Annie

Seems like it might be a best seller after all :lol::lol:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    I've just thought of a way of saving lots of money :!: The British Potato Council and Manchester Council could co-operate to produce one booklet entitled ' Sex and chips for the over 50s'. Sure to be a winner :lol:
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    Ha Wales is fabulous for this kind of thing. Where my dad lives they spent a fortune translating all the signs into Welsh and English - this means that it the welsh named village he lives in they have a sign that just says the village name twice!!! Chrissie
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    On the road to Scarborough from Leeds they've put in a few cycle lanes, nothing wrong with that right? Well these ones are not on the road, they're on the path and go about six feet then merge back onto the road for no apparent reason....??
    I wouldn't mind but cyclists don't even pay road tax!! LOL

Our local council a couple of years back toward the end of the financial year started painting all the plastic guttering just to use up funds, apparently if they've any cash left at the end of the year they won't get as much next year... Plastic gutters don't need painting...??!! Haha

Madness, all of it..

This whole country is stupid when it comes to giving money away or wasting it....

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    Our local council a couple of years back toward the end of the financial year started painting all the plastic guttering just to use up funds, apparently if they've any cash left at the end of the year they won't get as much next year... Plastic gutters don't need painting...??!! Haha

Every year we are asked to rush through building schemes to use up money for councils / NHS / housing associations at the very last minute...its as if they forget they've got it until the 11th hour, this means that everything is rushed and ultimately costs more or isn't very well thought out. It used to drive me nuts as its the craziest way to do building projects and they get annoyed with us if we don't work all the hours in the day to get them through when they pootle around the rest of the year as if we have all the time in the world :x
    Chrissie
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    You lot are so funny.

I'm going to print this out and put it up at work where we're all doing more work for the same money because they won't replace people who've left because they were doing more work for the same money... That's if I have time to put up this notice whilst doing more work for the same amount of money...

Nxx
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:

Well what can you say. I am all for people working if they want to but this is a bit of a joke. I do know someone who's hubby works and is a fire fighter one call (not sure what the job tittle is) she works also but is always complaining about money (lack of). Some people are just never happy and appear to be unable to cut there cloth according to what they have. We live in a sociality that wants everything but is not prepared to wait and save for it. This is the tax payers money and really something should be sorted about wages and the North South divide in wages but that is another subject.
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Lupin,
    Do you mean he's a retained firefighter?
    Nxx
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    Lupin,
    Do you mean he's a retained firefighter?
    Nxx

Not sure...our fire station is not open all the time now and they call the men in when they need them rather than have them at the station...they maybe what they call them...not sure.