hi from newbie x

kimjessnella
kimjessnella Member Posts: 18
edited 31. Oct 2010, 10:31 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all
I am Kim 39 and mum to 2 gorgeous little girls.
I have recently been diagnosed with arthritis and until today was told it was osteoarthritis but I saw the plastic surgeon again who is unsure it is due the location and severity of the damage caused in less than a year.
I found this site and thought it was a good place to come and well just get some info and try and understand more about the condition as to be honest all i know so far is it is very painful and scarey.
My consultant today explained osteoarthritis is not very common at my age and i was wondering if anyone around my age has this condition. I am pretty much in the dark about the whole thing.
It was only today I learnt there are over 200 kinds of the condition and i thought there was only a handful.
Any advice I could get would be most helpful.
My arthritis effects the knuckles on all my fingers but at the moment top knuckle only so the plan is to gradually fuse all the top knuckle joints when the pain gets to much though reading about this today as put me right off having this done.
I worry about how this will affect me as a mum and worker.
I am sorry I have gone on a bit but I look forward to getting to know people here as it seems such a great place.
Many thanks for reading my waffle
Kim x

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Kim

Welcome to the forums from me too :)

Yes people do get OA at yor age and younger sometimes if they are unlucky.

However there is no harm at all in asking for some testse to rule out other forms. Maybe bloods if you havent had them done would be a good place to start?

In the meantime please do use us lot for support and advice as well as to cheer you up.

there is life after diagnosis and you have found a great forum here.

Love

toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You have not 'gone on', you have explained things very well. I cannot help in the slightest as I have the wrong sort of arthritis but - and it's a big but - DON'T SCARE YOURSELF. You have had a shock, so give yourself time to recover. It is a great deal with which to come to terms, but in finding this site you have found a reliable source of help and information. There are many members of about your age, all affected by one arthritis or another, and we are a great source of support. The helpline people are very good at answering questions, there is a number you can ring or you can message them from here or via email. If you post on the LWA (as others have suggested) I am sure you will receive some replies. Arthritis can strike in any form at any age: people associate it with the elderly but that is innacurate. Ask us any questions, tell us any worries. We understand what it is like. Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I completely forgot to say that it's nice to meet you! Sorry - I am cross-eyed with tiredness, I think I might go and have a snooze. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kittykazz
    kittykazz Member Posts: 9
    Hi Kim

I am same age as you and i also have oa i have 3 kids and its very scary. I was only diagnosed because i went in for a routine cartlidge op on my knee but when woke up was told i had oa and that i had had a microfracture done to try and prolong the life of my knee joint but apart from that i have had no other info just been left to get on with it. Have you had painful joints for long or has it been recent? Looking back its been about 18 years since i first started with symptoms but gave up telling doctors in end and just got on with my life wasnt until my knee started giving way they seemed to take any notice. Hope you have had better help x Hoping to get back to work in next couple of weeks but have to speak to my employer as am not able to go back to my old role. Hope things get better soon hope to hear from you again soon xx :D
  • dotty123
    dotty123 Member Posts: 122
    Hi Kim I am 42 with two boys. Like you I was shocked to be told I got OA and the same as you. I have it in all my top knuckles. My right index fingers is completely deformed looking now and I feel really concious of it. I am happy for you that you are getting help from your doctor / hospital as I feel let down by being told to live with it and come back in a year. I today have just started to question is there any surgery I could get.

I do really understand you as your story is so like mine. Lovely to meet you.

xx wish i had some answers .. but I don;t
  • kimjessnella
    kimjessnella Member Posts: 18
    Thank you all for such wise words and warm welcome.
    The reason I saw a plastici surgeon was in March this yr and a piece of something removed from one of my fingers..a node i think it was called and the consultant looked at my xrays and has decided he wants to fuse the worst effected joint 1st.
    I have had more blood tests done and xrays of my hands and feet. Hand xray shows decrease in cartlidge ( i think i have that right) from mild to very little cartlidge left in the top knuckle joints. Foot shoes this in my toes but less damage.
    I am still all over the place over the whole thing but the response here really has helped me so much already.
    Only wish I knew how to deal with shoe laces and buttons when my fingers are very painful..
  • dotty123
    dotty123 Member Posts: 122
    Hi Kim that sound very interesting. I'm going to request to see a hand surgeon. I know how you feel right now ( hug ) I can't even tell my hubby how depressed I am and at the moment I just feel the future is bleak..

But hey look on this site and see how many people are on here and who are in a lot more pain. How positive they are.. That will be me and you..

I get annoyed because I can't peel spuds, or I can't get the key in the door because I can't hook my index finger. Plus I try not to yell out when someone grabs my hand or squeezes too tight.. I don't want to bring attention to myself.

Take care and stay in touch

x