returning to work

Options
kittykazz
kittykazz Member Posts: 9
Hi

After a knee operation to try to help with my oa i am getting ready to return to work. I work for large retail company where i was doing heavy work and want to arrange a meating with hr to discuss a lighter job. (my husband is already disabled and with 2 kids at home to care for i need my knee to last as long as possible lol) Does anyone have any tips on how to approach this meeting and what my rights are i really feel like i am letting the team at work down but feel i have to put my family and my health first. Thanks :roll:

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kittykaz and welcome,

I'm in a similiar position, returning to work after a hip operation. I'm not an expert at all this (Dorcas is!) but can tell you about me. I self referred to Occupational health and the doc discussed with me my condition and what I could and couldn't do. They wrote an report detailing their recommendations for my boss (phased return, restricted duties etc). I rang the job centre and spoke to the disability advisor and they said I was covered by DDA (disability discrimination act) and they gave me details of Access to work who did a work place assessment and recommended some equipment to enable me to do my job more easily. Employee relations are meeting with myself and my boss to do risk assessments ... I did contact my union too, but they did not seem very experienced in this sort of thing.

I haven't really answered your question, have I? Sorry.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • kittykazz
    kittykazz Member Posts: 9
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Kittykaz and welcome,

I'm in a similiar position, returning to work after a hip operation. I'm not an expert at all this (Dorcas is!) but can tell you about me. I self referred to Occupational health and the doc discussed with me my condition and what I could and couldn't do. They wrote an report detailing their recommendations for my boss (phased return, restricted duties etc). I rang the job centre and spoke to the disability advisor and they said I was covered by DDA (disability discrimination act) and they gave me details of Access to work who did a work place assessment and recommended some equipment to enable me to do my job more easily. Employee relations are meeting with myself and my boss to do risk assessments ... I did contact my union too, but they did not seem very experienced in this sort of thing.

I haven't really answered your question, have I? Sorry.

Speedy

Thanks will look into DDA and see if this can help me will also contact my union too don't think it will be possible for me to return to my old job as theres not much that can be altered as you really do need to be physically fit. However as its a large company and i dont see why they could not fit me in somewhere else i have been with company for few years and have experience of different deptartments just have to cross my fingers! Hope all goes well for your return to work and thanks for help
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Sounds like a plan is forming. Good luck. Might be worth taking a list of other depts you have worked in to the meeting, just in case. Often managers like to think they thought of something, but it is good to be prepared. Let us know how you get on.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Kittykaz
    I hope all goes well
    Dont let them bully you into something you cant do
    Take care
    Maria x