anyone else!

mollymop
mollymop Member Posts: 5
edited 3. Nov 2010, 15:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Have been diagnosed with PA and have painful shoulders with clicking clunking, muscle loss and pain from shoulders down to elbows. Has anyone else any experience with these symptoms and how do you cope. Thank you

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Molly :)

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry I cannot help you with PA and I am also sorry to hear that you are suffering with painful shoulders etc. There are peeps on here with PA and I am sure they will be calling in sometime soon and will reply to your posting.

Look after yourself,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Mollymop,

Welcome to the forums they is good lot here.

Sorry you have this one... I kinda got that as well as other bits with oa and just wondered what meds they got you on cus the easiest way to cope is to have some decent ones really.

How to cope.... I get a fair bit of help with my neck and shoulders via the pain clinic. Its not totally effective but it does help. The wrists and elbow but none except mtx hats not doing much and pain relief that I can't take enough of just ow cus I got a reaction and its messing with my head too much. There isn't much I am able o do to off set the grinding pain of both the oa and pa but distraction still helps and hopefully you will be able to get adequate pain control and it will also be under control soon so it can get easier. Nice to meet you. Cris x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Mollymop,

I have different arthritis to you and in different joints, so no words of wisdom from me. Just wanted to say welcome. Others will be along of more use!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Hi Mollymop - love the name!

I had that problem when my RA was uncontrolled - found it really hard to sleep and wear shoulder bags, so you have my every sympathy.

I would speak to your GP/rheummy - perhaps your meds need a review? And if you are experiencing some muscle loss, you might need some exercises with a physio to help build up musle again.

Welcome to the forum!

Lois x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Mollypop
    Welcome to the forum.....sorry got arthur in hips, back , ankle and neck so not much help there
    Someone will be along to give you info

Love
    Hileena
  • mollymop
    mollymop Member Posts: 5
    Thank you all very much for replying. I will just battle on the best way I can. Take care everyone and thankyou
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi mollymop, I too have PA but it mostly affects my toes, ankles, knees, sacro iliac joints and now (newly) my elbows and wrists. I began the arthritis in 1997 but it was only diagnosed as PA in 2006 after my second occurrence of psoriasis. What meds are you currently taking? DD

Ah, just answered that question on reading your other post. Right: I am on humira (an anti TNF treatment), injected meth, sulphasalazine, naproxen (an anti-inflammatory) and oral steroids. I have to say that I am not delighted, or even slightly pleased at the results of all these meds but I know I would be a damn sight worse without them. I am still on crutches (never going to ditch those bu***rs!) and pain levels have always been very high. One adjusts, one learns to cope. I take regular pain dullers (killers is a misnomer, they do not finish the pain off) but still struggle with it all. I don't think any of us like the pain associated with these conditions but unfortunately this is the only life I have so I have to get on with it. I am going thro a low spot with it all at the moment, but it will pass, it always does. How long have you been diagnosed - it's not that long, is it? What other meds have been suggested, if any? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Mollymop

sounds a bit miserable :(

dont just put up with it!

first of all do all you can yourself - wheatbags and maybe painkillers anti-inflams. Maybe you can look at things like the type of hanbag you use so that you do not add pressure to these bits, but really then after doing all this...

I would visit the doc and ask for a reveiw of your meds if I were in your postion - I'm not sure it should be ignored.

Love

toni xxx
  • nanarose
    nanarose Member Posts: 117
    Hi Mollymop.

I have PsA too, and the muscles in my legs and arms are very weak, due to not doing nearly as much exercise as I used to with having this horrible illness.

My rheumatology team at the hospital have been excellent in sending me to a physiotherapist, to get specific exercises to strengthen all the muscles in my thighs, and on my arms too.
    I told her that I was trying to walk a little further each day, but according to her, that although this is good, I need more intensive work on certain muscles which have slightly atrophied due to inactivity.

I too am on MTX, diclofenac, which does help with pain, and tramadol and paracetamol or co-codamol on better days.

There is help to be had, so don't just suffer in silence.

Good luck.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I have oa in my shoulders and sometimes the joints give a horrible noise, but it doesn't hurt. I think the noise with my oa is to do with the 'wear and tear' in the joint, it does feel a bit strange when it happens, like something clicking into place! With oa they call it crepitus I think. Love Sue