New here.

pixie40
pixie40 Member Posts: 10
I injured my neck at work twice 19 years ago, 2 separate incidents. At the time I was treated for a pulled muscle and trapped nerve. Over the years I have had episodes where I would say "my shoulder has gone again" and it was always treated as the pulled muscle.
I have taken Diclofenac on and off over the years and had physio.
8 years ago occy health at my work referred me to physio for advice for them, I was told light duties, no heavy lifting, no carrying shopping bags, no hoovering, and other things that I cannot remember now, they stick in my mind for some reason.
But they did say my job was a major problem and by carrying on working I was causing more problems, and that once upon a time I may well have pulled the muscle but this had moved on and was now a problem with the actual bones in my neck.
He advised me to give up my career, which I did not do and I also refused to go on light duties. The thing that finally made me finish was maternity leave.
Over the past 6 years, with pregnancies and trying to get pregnant, I have been unable to take the Diclofenac, so took paracetamol as and when, which really did not help at all.
Gradually it has got worse, and I saw my GP 3 weeks ago, who has now told me I have arthritis in my neck and a curvature of the top of the spine.
I am waiting for physio again, but I am wondering what kind of work can I do with the arthritis and the curvature.

I have enquired and been told my previous career is not possible now.
I would like to work as we need the money, but as I am only 40 I do not want to do things that are going to make it worse and find by the time I am 50 I have a bad curvature.

To be honest, I always knew I would get arthritis in my neck, but the curvature has totally thrown me, I was certainly not expecting to be told that.

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Pixie and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear your history of problems have given you arthritis and curvature of the spine. I suggest you post about curvature of the spine on the living forum as more people visit that forum and several other people have the same problem. Hileena was only recently diagnosed with this so she be a good person to respond to your post.

What was your previous career? What aspects of it did you enjoy/can you still do? Can you think of a new job that would involve these aspects?

I was unsure what advice is available to adults wanting/needing a career change have, so have just looked online. The following link may help a bit;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Jobseekers/JobsAndCareers/DG_073364

It also has a link to a new page - "what career is right for you?"

Keep us posted,

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • pixie40
    pixie40 Member Posts: 10
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Pixie and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear your history of problems have given you arthritis and curvature of the spine. I suggest you post about curvature of the spine on the living forum as more people visit that forum and several other people have the same problem. Hileena was only recently diagnosed with this so she be a good person to respond to your post.

What was your previous career? What aspects of it did you enjoy/can you still do? Can you think of a new job that would involve these aspects?

I was unsure what advice is available to adults wanting/needing a career change have, so have just looked online. The following link may help a bit;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Jobseekers/JobsAndCareers/DG_073364

It also has a link to a new page - "what career is right for you?"

Keep us posted,

Speedy

Hi, I was a nurse previously, and I have spoken to several people in management, in different depts who have said they would not employ me as I would be restricted to what I can do.
    I also asked my best friend, who was my ex boss, and asked her if she would re employ me, she said no, it would put added strain on the others due to the restrictions.
    They have a member of staff who has arthritis, I have worked with him, and they do not count him in the numbers any more, he is on shift but they have to always make sure they have an extra person to take the slack from what he is unable to do.

Its the only job I know. Back to the drawing board. I have no doubt I could get a job eventually, the current economy being what it is does not help really.

Thanks for your help, and I will post on the other place later, (computer is being a pain and freezing, starting to lose my temper with it)