ATOS Medical!!!

Options
lorica
lorica Member Posts: 187
edited 28. Nov 2010, 06:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
I have been summoned to attend an ATOS medical on the 25th Nov for ESA Not looking forward to it! In the letter they sent me they included a suggested journey plan, the plan has me doing 5 changers between walking and travelling on the bus. Have they read my notes? I have indicated I have problems walking, or is this part of the assesment??? :lol: if i use their travel plan does that mean i fail? plus the plan has me travelling in the opposit direction, away from the city to then travel back. It is madness.....! :?

Mark

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi lorica

Sounds funny and way too hard to me all that messing about. Do you have a car? If so I would be going in that. I would have no way of following them rules, can't walk and def not get on a bus.

Can't tell you if it is part of their assesment but i am sure someone can.

All I can say when you eventually do get there is Good Luck,

Would probably ask for a cuppa and lay down before starting their interview :lol:

Juliepf x
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    I think it is probably part of the test. If you can do all that journey they'll say you've no problem with a job even if you have to travel.
    I would get a friend to take me or splash out on a taxi and send them the bill. There's no way they will pay but it would perhaps make a point.

Good luck anyway.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Mark,
    I reckon they just did the route on an computer programme and send one to everyone so that folks can't say they didn't attend because they couldn't get there/couldn't find it .... Similiar vein to so called "courtesy calls" to remind people of appointments - drives me mad!

Good luck on 25th Nov.

Speedy

PS Of course they didn't read your notes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    The route directions will be an automatic thing however at the medical they will ask you how you made your way to the assessment.

EG: at mine, my Dad drove me and dropped me off at the door of the centre and then he went away and parked the car. Initiallly they asked me how did I get here? I said by car. They said where did I park the car and it took ages to get into their head that I was dropped off at the door. They will also likely make you wait at least 30mins in the waiting room and then put in your medical report that you were able to sit still for that length of time and a whole other load of irrelevant tat.

There are lots of atos medical threads for you to have a look at.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Carol
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi Mark

This is just part of the paperwork for the interview, its like a mini route planner in which they think theyre being helpful.....Any government body wants you to take public transport but please be well aware that if you take your car and its say a 35mile round trip, you can claim expenses, i got £13.00 odd and while its not a lot its better than nowt....
    Id advise you to take someone with you into the medical. I dont know what your ailment is but they watch everything - ie how you get in and out of chairs (you are supposed to request one with two arms for ease to get out of and if you dont it indicates your more fit than you are)....Also dont do anything you dont feel right, such as touch arms, or feet or get onto examining couch (always ask for aids if you do or two arms support)...If you cannot squat, dont do it...
    The person may be friendly or may not be, or seem sympathetic, even if they are, dont feel that is a good thing - mine was and still failed to put in vital bits in my report...

Good Luck Mate

Elainex
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Read your notes, now let's not be silly, if they did that, then they would not send for us to attend their medicals, for which they receive a tidy sum.
    The whole assessment is geared up to watch you fail, from going into the building, sitting and waiting, how you sit, stand, do you go shopping, do you go to the supermarket, if you do, they assume you can walk 800 yards. :shock:
    Don't let them get you down, certainly do not do anything that you are unable to do without causing pain or discomfort. I remember when the Dr came to see me at home and he said can you touch your toes? NO !! and don't ask me to bend slightly backwards either, because I won't do it, nor would you, if you had the same pain. Huh, Bubbles was not best pleased.

Certainly take someone along with you, if only for moral support. They might well be able to help clarify any answers to their questions if they are a carer or partner.

Let us know how you get on, it is so wrong that they put us through these tests, when they know damned well what is wrong with us, our Drs and Consultants don't lie to them. Take care, XX Bubbles.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options
    Whether or not it is a trick Mark i would get a lift/taxi if you are flush.

In no way would I undertake a journey likle that - it might just be a test :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi don't do it on your own. Get a taxi or a friend to drive you. Even if it isn't a trick, they can use the distance you've come as evidence you can travel long distances. Love Sue
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi MArk :D

Good luck with the medical. :wink: Here are some notes I've saved from earlier that might help you prepare. :D

I have posted you a link to a directgov document which goes into a lot of detail about each aspect of the assessment. http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@disabled/documents/digitalasset/dg_177366.pdf

It is well worth a read and exactly mirrors the medical assessment form that the assessor completes during the assessment. I wish I had found this before I went to my medical!

Other things to remember:

1. The assessor will ask you how you travelled to get to the appointment. This information is used to form an opinion about whether you can use public transport, your walking ability & the distance you are able to walk....and whether you required assistance (aids & personal support)

2. The assessor observes you from the minute s/he comes out to meet you; how you get up from the waiting room chair , how you walk, whether you use a stick, whether you have a limp, how quickly you are able to walk.

3. In the assessor's room you will not automatically be given a chair with arms so if you need one... ask!... this will be noted in the assessment

4. If you need to get up regularly to move because you are uncomfortable/ pain/ stiff ...then say so and get up from the chair as often as need be!...how you get up from the chair is observed and this too will be noted in the assessment

5. Every question you are asked has a purpose... either to compare the answers with the information you wrote on the form.. or to assess you against one of the 'factors' on the assessor's screen. Take your time and answer as fully as possible.

6. Every movement you make is observed... even how you extract a piece of paper from your pocket!

7. you will be asked to go through a series of movements ..raising arms, bending etc... do not do anything that you know will cause you pain or discomfort just because you've been asked to do it!.

8. You will be asked to lie up on a couch for more physical assessment of your legs & hip movement. If you find it difficult to get up onto the couch... ask for help... do not struggle and tell the assessor if any of the required movements is uncomfortable. It will be noted!

I think that 'we' have an inbuilt tendency to want to 'please'.... to our detriment in my opinion. So be prepared to say 'no, I'm sorry, I can't do that'
    The assessor is looking for consistency between what you've stated on the medical questionnaire (you sent in) and what you say during the medical, what s/he observes you doing, and what the physical examination shows.

Each of the 'factors and functions' is part of a 'points awarded' system which determines whether you will continue to get ESA and at which level.

My assessor was very friendly and did her best to put me at ease. It didn't stop her making wrong assumptions and misrepresenting facts.!!!

I hope all that I've written helps you prepare for your assessment Mark! It's only my experience and I'm sure others will add their advices too.

lots of luck,

Irisxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi mark I have been reading all the advice these lovely people have given you.
    I am sure this must be a big help to you,

Iris I have read and noted every word. Just incase at some point I
    too get the appointment.

Good luck again mark
    I am sure you will let us know how you went on

JuliePF
  • lorica
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice, I still have a week before i go so i still have time to try and prepare the best i can. Think will get a taxi to the appointment, and my wife is going to come with me. Thanks Dorcas for the website details will have a good look at it when i get a chance, I was thinking about it the otherday I have problems with my wrists so getting on the bed will be sore, I had better becareful if they offer to shake hands!!! :( will let you all know how i get on. What are the levels for ESA? Im guessing at the moment i'll be on an assessment level. Can you still get DLA and ESA together? (not saying im going to get DLA still awaiting tribunal)

Mark
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Mark
    Sorry I cant add anything to what the others have said, I just want to say good luck with it, and I hope it all goes well for you.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    lorica wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the advice, I still have a week before i go so i still have time to try and prepare the best i can. Think will get a taxi to the appointment, and my wife is going to come with me. Thanks Dorcas for the website details will have a good look at it when i get a chance, I was thinking about it the otherday I have problems with my wrists so getting on the bed will be sore, I had better becareful if they offer to shake hands!!! :( will let you all know how i get on. What are the levels for ESA? Im guessing at the moment i'll be on an assessment level. Can you still get DLA and ESA together? (not saying im going to get DLA still awaiting tribunal)

Mark

Hi Mark,
    the levels for ESA, vary from person to person, dependent on current income ie if you are in receipt of a pension, then they will reduce the amounts accordingly. The current rates are all on the dot.gov website. Make sure they are aware of any difficulty getting onto or off the couch - I had to be hauled up by my cardiologist the other day and it took three adjustments of the couch to get things into a place which was just bearable, don't be afraid to ask.
    You can receive DLA and ESA, they are two separate entities (at present). The DLA component is needs based, ie mobility, levels of care needed, for how long and how frequently the care is given. In some respects, I hope the changes to the system, make it easier, less repetitive and more user friendly.
    Take care XX Bubbles.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I agree, we do seem to want to please, maybe we are also trying to prove we are worth something by doing as we are told!!! I was asked to squat, something that is painful and difficult for my, but I did try, my back locked and hurt like Hell and I groaned in pain, but still tried, at which she shouted stop, stop you can't do that! The only problem was she put on the form that I could do it!!!!

As for taxi's they offered to pay for a taxi, as I don't live on a bus route and don't drive that far. In the end my husband took me and they paid him. Good luck, love Sue
  • lorica
    Options
    M-Day has arrived :shock: :( , I think im prepared, need to do a bit more reading... but 3pm this afternoon and i'll be in for the wonderful ATOS medical! Dreading it, I have a sick feeling in my stomach... Will let you all know how I get on

Mark
  • buster152
    buster152 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    good luck but im sure you will be fine just tell them as it is dont gloss over stuff or NOT tell them things like embarrassing things as the more you tell them the better
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi Mark :D

I've been wondering how the medical assessment went yesterday. :?:

Iris xxx
  • lorica
    Options
    Hi Dorcas, everyone.
    The medical was certainly interesting. :? I ended up going by taxi, I had to wait about 20 minutes. I was in a lot of pain and hobbling with my stick, one of the security guards gave me a padded, high backed chair with arm resets. I wasnt able to sit down for long so I had to get up and down. When I got called by the nurse I was made to walk to the furthest office, the nurse tried to make a joke of it, but i wasnt born yesterday!!! The nurse asked loads of questions things like what do you do all day, where do you sit, what do you watch films if so what films, what music do i listen too, can i do hosehold chores, was i able to cook etc. The nurse was friendly and did crack a few jokes!!! But i wasnt totally convinced by the jokes. My wife came in with me and she helped me, the nurse examined my joints and the movement I had, took my blood pressure which was high. In total I was in about an hour and a half. I now have to wait at least a month for the decision! Dorcas thanks for the weblink I managed to get the document and have a read through it so I was a little bit prepared for medical.

Mark :)
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi MArk :D

glad to hear the medical went OK..... and that the nurse doing the medical was friendly; but the truth of how helpful and competent she was will be reflected in the report eh?

At least it's over!.. I don't think dwp know how stressful it all is :roll: but despite that it sounds as though you were prepared and it was good that you had someone with you to help you. :mrgreen:

Please let us know when you get your decision letter?.

I really hope it will be good news for you. :wink: there are too many of us in the 'appeals club' already!.

Iris xxxx