Can a doctor refuse to treat me?

claircoult Member Posts: 62

I was diagnosed with Palindromic Rheumatism by a consultant in Norwich in September. He wanted to treat me with a trial of hydroxychloroquine or methotrexate if it didn't work. As I live 3 hours away from Norwich he asked my GP to refer me to a local rheumy for treatment.

Last week I was seen by a registrar at Rotherham who said that I didn't have PR, that my symptoms were caused my me having ME/CFS and that he wouldn't treat me.

Can the registrar refuse to treat me? I made it clear I wasn't happy with his decision and he has arranged for me to see the consultant on Tuesday but he was adamant I don't have PR.

What are my rights as a patient? What can I do if the consultant also refuses to treat me?

Thank you!



  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 2,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Clair

    Thank you for your posting on the forum. I can understand that this is very frustrating for you and that you are caught in the middle of these two conflicting diagnosis. In order to explore your rights as a patient speak to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS for short). Their purpose is to ensure that the NHS listens to patients, their relatives, carers and friends, and answers their questions. They are also there to help resolve concerns or problems when you are using the NHS. If you click on the link this will lead you to the PALS website and has information on the local PALS offices. You could also revisit your GP concerning this conflicting diagnosis and talk to them about this difficult situation. You can also ask that they send you for another opinion regarding diagnosis to a different consultant. You could also try, if it were possible, a private consultation.

    I hope that this information is helpful.
    Best Wishes

Who's Online

4 Guests