CONFUSED

poppy
poppy Member Posts: 8
Can someone out there help me. I am a 57 year old female and I've been fit and active all my life (gymnastics, dancing, running). I have OA in my hip but I am confused and finding it hard to decide what action (if any) to take. I basically can go around the house with not much pain but as soon as I try to walk anywhere I'm struggling as the pain is so bad. Doctors were reluctant to take any action as they said I still have great range of movement but I'm getting depressed with inactivity and pain. I spoke to a man in his early 50's with same history as me who is doing brilliantly after hip resurfacing and I had more or less decided that was the option for me. Now doc. tells me this is not successful in women with risk of increased iron levels and danger of breaking femur high. I would love to hear from anyone of my age and gender who has had this done and what their outcome is. Doc. is now recommending total hip replacement but says I will not have same range of movement as I have now so would also like to hear any stories from younger women who have had a good outcome with total hip replacement.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi poppy and welcome to the forums. I cannot help with your enquiry as I have the wrong sort of arthritis: I think you might find some more advice and help if you post again on LWA (living with arthritis) forum, more people tend to look there and there are plenty of younger OAers with new bits! I am sure the helpline will get back to you in due course. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Poppy,

I'm 43. I had my left hip replaced at 30 - it is painfree but not as good as a real hip. It has less movement and the muscles despite my best efforts are weaker than a real hip. However my op was difficult to do due to a history of hip problems. The condition of your muscles before the op affects the time of recovery.

I had my right hip resurface-replaced in May this year. I was meant to be having a different op (this hip had problems as it was semi dislocated too.) However the hip deteriorated too much and the consultant said I would have to have a THR. I asked about a resurface and he said they weren't so sucessful in young women etc However I was then re-referred to my original consultant and he was of the opinion that I was a suitable candidate for a resurface-replacement - and I had it done. That hip already has better strength and movement than the THR. It is crucial though for this op that you have a surgeon experienced in the procedure as more can wrong than with a THR.

Have you emphasised to the consultant your level of fitness etc - I had reasonable range of movement prior to my op, but in the final months the pain became unbearable and the joint was disintegrating and crumbling - you could see this on the x rays.

If you are not happy with your options ask for a second opinion. You could ask to be referred to a consultant who regularly peforms resurface-replacements. I would personally recommend the birmingham hip - you could also google this for more information. However I do not have any knowledge of the high iron condition you have so you would need to find out more about this.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,703
    Dear Poppy,

I am sorry to hear of the pain you are experiencing, this sounds very difficult for you, particularly compared to how active you are used to be being.

Deciding on surgery is a big decision so it is understandable that you are unsure as to which way to turn. To hear other people experience you may like to post this on the ‘Living with arthritis’ form as it is more widely used. However it is important to remember that everyone’s experience is different, so really it is about weighing the pros and cons, gathering all the information together, to make an informed choice on what’s right for you.

You may find it useful to read the following booklets:
    Osteoarthritis of the hip-
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/OAhipfactsheetDecember09.pdf

Hip surgery-
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/TRMT05_Hipsurgery.pdf

Surgery and arthritis-
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/SurgerybookletApril10.pdf

Best Wishes
    Adele