fuel allowance

Options
mirabella
mirabella Member Posts: 272
edited 16. Nov 2010, 14:34 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well I got another big kick today from powers that be.Seems I was born 21 days too late to qualify for the fuel allowance,for this year.I have to wait until December until I get my pension,even though I was 60 in July.I am penalised everywhere for being a single woman,it appears also I don't qualify for any benefit either as I share this house which is in my name as I choose to share it with "A MAN".This man works for local council as an intermediate care assistant,whose hours have be cut from 42 a wk to some times less than 20.The council are restructoring there home care department,and most of the clients are now under agency care.He of course is distressed and depressed and has his own finacial stuff to deal with.We are not a couple as in married! So do I kick him out and then maybe I will get some help,bearing in mind that he will then be homeless,and will also become another person in need of benefits,and a home!Any thoughts or anybody who has similar problem or any solutions,gratefully recieved :idea:

Comments

• c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's a tough one. If you're not a couple then would having a tenant's agreement between you help? That way you are gaining a small income but not his full salary as yours.

It might be worth asking CAB for advice on this one. Unfortunately, these days it seems that it is not allowed for members of the opposite sex to be simply friends. I have wondered about taking on a lodger as I have a spare room but worry about the same sort of things. I would prefer a male lodger as two women in a house spells bad news in my experience. I'm territorial! :roll:
  • mirabella
    Options
    thanks for reply c4,been there,done that :( No joy! You would need to be carefull and find out all legalities before deciding to go down that road.I also owe an awfull lot to this man,if not for him,I would have spent months in a hospital,all at the expence of NHS,but he took over my caring needs,walked my dogs and did and paid for all shopping.Was embarrasing to start with but that is his profession,so just had to deal with.He also took me to all appoitments when required.All I asked for was 6 mths worth of help with my rent and some disability allowance.Both my hip joints were taken out ,1 for 7wks,2nd for 4 mths.Spent all my savings to keep going,now have run out.Now on road to recovery but 2yrs and 2months down the line,a year of that totally bed ridden,am now really struggling.Guess everyone concerned will have to get in the que,nd wait for their money.Will take me 2 yrs to pay back when/if I get back to work. :?:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh it's a tricky one, mirabella, isn't it? As you say you do owe him a great deal - could you live with yourself if you threw him out? HOw long has he shared your house now? I for one think your conscience would be mighty uneasy. I suppose the government does have to have cut-off points for these things, otherwise everyone would have everything. OK so you are not a 'couple' couple, but he has been a very good friend, shared the expenses - yes? Have I read that right? I honestly don't think you can tell him to leave. You don't say when in December you will start to receive your pension, but that is not far off now. I am sorry I cannot help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,552
    Options
    I can only offer you my huge sympathy for this one Mirabella

it does sound very very unfair.

I hope your lodger is giving you something even if it isn't huge somes of money - he sounds lovely taking you to appts an all that sort of stuff.

I do know the authorities do treat people as couples and it can be very hard to rpove otherwise.

I wish I could help.

Love

Toni xx
  • wooly-monkey
    wooly-monkey Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Dear Mirabella,
    May I suggest you make two copies of what you have written here and send one to Gillian Guy who is the newly appointed Chief Eexecutive of Citizens Advice Bureau and the other copy to your local MP.

I have had similar problems myself and have found MP's to be most helpful.
    Fight for your rights, they won't give them to you any other way.

Good luck. Keep us up to date if you can and let us know the outcome - I would be very interested.

Wooly-monkey
  • mirabella
    Options
    Thank you guys for your replies,they were most appreciated.Iwill certainly consider sending copies to local MP and to new head of CAB,feel it will be to late for me but may help someone else in the future,unless of course I find I am unable to go back to work,but I am not thinking in that direction,I am determined I will go back as soon as I can.As for Keith,the man I share my home with,well I could not possibly put him out.The arrangement we have works well for both of us,strange as it seems,and in a funny sort of way has brought us closer as friends.He is definatly a good carer and hope that his employers recognise that for his sake.I know he is very popular with the clients he has,and is always doing little jobs for some of them,in his own time.In the meantime,I will just try and do my best to carry on,they can't lock you up for having debts :?: As long as my dogs are fed,and I continue to improve,there is hope that I will pull myself out of this rather big hole.Mirabella
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You will get thro this, mirabella, of that I am certain. You are lucky to have Keith around, he is lucky to have a share of your roof and I am sure you can both weather this storm. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mirabella
    Options
    Thanks DD,I will I have the strength and a good family behind me,the knockdowns always make you a stronger person,just more cynical and possibly more selfish,but you learn all the time to take nothing for granted :!: Mirabella----PS have just been reading your mice tale,sofunny :lol:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,552
    Options
    Hi Mirabella

I think you have come to the right decision - good attitude like that will pay off in the end I'm sure of it.

All the best

Love

toni xx