Floods

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 19. Nov 2010, 14:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
Now is it me or do we seem to be having big problems with mother when it comes to rain, years ago the councils water authorities etc would clear ditches drains streams rivers etc but these day's they don't and hey presto we keep having floods even in areas that should be use to dealing with it, I'm not sure if it's due to more water but it seems a little to sudden for that excuse, my friends were flooded a few years back in Buscot and really it was mostly due to the bloody gullies and drains being full of crap.
Nothing seems to work properly anymore the roads are falling to bits we have power cuts due to trees falling and hitting the lines, I think if the flippin councils did what we pay them to do ie keep the infrastructure up and running and in good order instead of paying thmeselve's bigger and bigger salaries then we might get results, and anyway the councils always say they are cutting costs by contracting out this very work then why in hell does my council tax always go up and has never ever come down?.

Comments

• mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You are so right there Mellman,years ago the country enviroment people would come round my lane and clear all the river side the so called brook,the ditches that surround this cottage that I live in.Not any more they have been once this year to cut down a few branches of trees that broke off during last years storms,and left the debris on the side.There are only 3 of us that live down our lane and we over the last 5 yrs we have cleared ditches ouselves,made good the drains,and cleared all the old trees that were blown down.I could walk then,and really did not mind wading knee deep in mud and sluggh!We really made difference as the river when it rose to a dangerous level seemed to find it's own way.Got scary and I did lose my car,it floated off,but did not lose my home,2' from my front door Whew! My council tax still went up,and I had to buy another car! **** happens!Mirabella
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Melly

I think we have toooo much concrete and other water-proof ground cover - nowhere for water to naturally drain.

All man made

Well that and you theory about lack of upkeep.

Eeeeh! If you ruled't world things'd be different :D

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    I am so sorry I did not call you Melly

I wouldnt be so presumptious!!

the spellchecker woman did it :lol:

:oops:
  • mellman01
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    I am so sorry I did not call you Melly

I wouldnt be so presumptious!!

the spellchecker woman did it :lol:

:oops:

Oh that old chessnut eh!!:), but it does seem crazy doesn't it, we keep building houses on flood plains and then wonder why we get flooded, bloody mental!, I have just had an e mail from the local council as I complained about the state of the tracks, sorry roads round here and they guy was honset enough to say they are only bodging things as they don't have the money and yet were building thousands of new houses in this area, J****s c****t (please be mindful of tone and language used Mod ECM) if we can't keep the roads up to scratch a few thousand more cars aern't going to help now is it!, GRRRRRRRRRR BANG, bugger me spleen went again ladies!! :lol:
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Thats ok I really don't mind what I'm called and I've been called a few things in the past,as I can get very loud or how do you say,I do like to speak my mind so what does that sayor how do people percieve me :?: Mirabella
  • mellman01
    Options

J****s c****t (please be mindful of tone and language used Mod ECM) if we can't keep the roads up to scratch a few thousand more cars aern't going to help now is it!, GRRRRRRRRRR BANG, bugger me spleen went again ladies!!

Who the flippin hell said that!?, we've got a cyber ghost on ear how creepy is that, we need Scooby do and Shaggy too!, oh hell I said shaggy now that ghost will be back and alter me words!.