Introducing myself.

Options
Bookseverywhere
Bookseverywhere Member Posts: 196
edited 21. Nov 2010, 07:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,
I've only just discovered this forum and I am sure I will find it both useful and enjoyable.

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis about 18 months ago and, thanks the the steroids I was put on, I have since been told I also have ostioarthritis. I work full time - in fact, I run my own business (bookshop and restaurant) and my partner and I care for his elderly mother.

I am male and 59 years old, and live in work in the Scottish Highlands. Until arthritis set in, one of my hobbies was mountain walking and rambling. However, I have now found a new use for my hiking poles - they make excellent walking sticks...

Best wishes,
Kevin.

Comments

• angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Kevin, welcome to the Forum.

I just had to reply immediately, when I saw your username. I thought I`d been rumbled!! My family would think that was a very apt name for me!

I too have OA in my ankle, and now, it would appear, my right shoulder. However, a TKR two and a half years ago, gave me back my life, to a great extent.

I can`t comment on your RA, as I only know what I have learned on here, but there are many people on the Forum with RA, and all the other forms of Arthur, as well. They will be able to help with any questions you may have.

I hope you find the Forum useful. I envy you on two counts. Living in such a lovely part of the world, and having "bookseverywhere"! ........Ange.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum from me as well :D They are a good lot here they really are.

A lot of people use the waling poles and they make very good sticks. I know losing hobbies can be hard but you find others you can do and enjoy the same. I used to love reading books but have eye trouble so now have a few talking ones..... not going to admit what or how sad they are :lol:

You have any questions this lot will know the answers and I hope you find the forum as helpful as I have. Nice to meet you. Cris x
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    Hi Kevin

welcome to the group from me.

coco xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Good morning Kevin, welcome to the forum, it is good fun on here in the chit-chat section, but also very informative in this bit. I've found it a great help. I aso have both types of the beastie that is Arthritis, not a lot of fun eh? lol
    Oooh, Scottish Highlands, sounds wonderful, I used to love walking in beautiful places, can't do too much now though. We were in Keilder Forest week before last and I overdid it a bit, had to have a week laid up :roll: :lol:

Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Kevin and a very warm welcome from me, I am sorry you had to find us, but you will get lots of support of everyone, and the information you get is second to none, when you are ready come and join us in chit chat, we are a bit mad...not me the others... :) but you will have a laugh.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Bookseverywhere
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The site does look interesting and useful. As one of my hobbies is writing (I've even had a few things published over the years), I think I might post something in the poetry thread.

I still try and do a bit of walking - but just on the flat and on good surfaces. No more scrambling up rock faces and balancing along narrow ridges! So I'm really glad I did all those things when I had the opportunity.

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi kevin

a quick welcome from me and I hope you also enjoy the forums.

Juliepf x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Hi Kevin and welcome! Like Ange, I thought I'd been rumbled, too..........we moved house at the beginning of the summer and even though I ruthlessly culled my books, it was still one trip of the van for them alone...........hubby swore that the old place would fall in when they were removed. I haven't been back since, but haven't seen it on the news!

As I point out to him, they have their uses. I'm currently using one of my heavy, thick tomes as a 'step' for podiatry exercises - we're now in a flat with no steps or stairs (hooray).

Annie
  • athena_b
    athena_b Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi everyone...i was told about this site today..by a new friend on FB :D

I was diagnosed 3 years ago this coming Dec... with 'Reactive arthritis' was told it would last for 3-6 months...ha ha ...what a joke...NOT! won't bore you with all the details on my first day :wink:

Well...i guess i will go off and nosy around now and read some of the posts.

Bye for now...athena_b
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    athena_b wrote:
    Hi everyone...i was told about this site today..by a new friend on FB :D

I was diagnosed 3 years ago this coming Dec... with 'Reactive arthritis' was told it would last for 3-6 months...ha ha ...what a joke...NOT! won't bore you with all the details on my first day :wink:

Well...i guess i will go off and nosy around now and read some of the posts.

Bye for now...athena_b
    Welcome to the site, hope you find it as useful and friendly as I do... Sure that you will :D

Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • athena_b
    athena_b Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for the 'Welcome' Tony :)

I appologise to you Kevin..i seem to have hijacked your thread...not a good thing to do on your first day is it! but...i haven't been in groups for quite a while and i have forgotten how they work..and it's late, i'm tired...well those are my excuses and i'm sticking to them lol :D
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Kevin

Just adding a welcome to the bunch here, like the others was drawn to your username. Lucky you a bookshop and restuarant absolute bliss and my idea of heaven. :D Hope you soon find your way around. They are lovely helpful and supportive lot of people on here.
    take care
    Chris

Welcome to you too athena :D

Hope to see you both posting again soon.
  • Bookseverywhere
    Options
    Welcome, Athena. Hijack the post as much as you want to!

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • scorpio
    scorpio Member Posts: 159
    Options
    nice to meet both of you - Kevin and Athena

i love books too....i am a gory soul so i am haapiest with the likes of Richard Montanari, Thomas Harris, PJ Tracey, Agatha Christie and the likes....i also enjoy reading true life crime biographies

welcome,
    warm regards, chris
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Just noticed kevin youre from Highlands....Ive got two sisters up there in Culloden and Nairn...I will be up there for crimbo, freezing me **** off and basically turning into a southern softie re the weather...
    I was however born in Belshill 42 years ago...

:-)

Elainex