New Member. BRONTE.HI!

Options
bronte
bronte Member Posts: 2
edited 21. Nov 2010, 06:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,

I've been looking at a few of your messages and you all seem a lovely lot of people!

I'm a woman aged 52, and I've recently been diagnosed with arthritis in my neck/spine, which travels to my shoulders and sometimes down my leg (Don't know why that is!). Unfortunately my job (School Support Assistant) and favourite pasttime (reading), happens to be the worst position possible for my neck. Too much sitting around! I go walking every weekend to try to compensate though. Pain/stiffness worse in morning and pain wakes me every time I move at night. Is there anything that I could wear around my neck to ease this at all? If so, would love to hear from you.

Also, I read earlier about tinnitus and painkillers. Mine has grown much, much louder since arthritis commenced, starting to drive me nuts! Anyone else had this happen to them? Also constant headaches.

Well, that's my moaning out of the way! Best wishes to all of you however your day's going.

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    just a quick welcome from me bronte, hope you get some answers on here. I know I find it useful..
    Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,956
    Options
    Hi Bronte.
    nice to meet you. i'm sorry you had to have arther to meet us. you seem in a lot of pain i hope some one come's a long who can help you.
    i have oa is that the same as you.
    people on this forum are very helpfull.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Bronte
    It is lovely to meet you,you will get lots of support off the lovely people on here.
    Any questions you have just post away , and when you are ready come and join us in chit chat, we have a cafe with calorie free foods.
    Hope to see you posting more very soon
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    Hi Bronte and welcome. I'm sure you will get some ideas on here soon regarding the reading!
    I have many similarities to your situation etc.
    But the reading for me is hindered by sore hands and holding the book.
    Also my art work for the moment is on hold.
    You don,t mention any pain medication but it certainly sounds like you could do with some to help.
    Best wishes hope to see you posting lots soon.
  • Bookseverywhere
    Bookseverywhere Member Posts: 196
    Options
    Bronte, It must be serendipity: I too have just joined the site, and as you will see from my pseudonym, I too love books (so much I run a bookshop!)

A suggestion about the reading - both for you and for Cebeem. There's a thing called a Book Chair, which is a portable stand on which to place a book. The angle is adjustable, and it can be used on most surfaces. Prices range from between £15 - £20 - about the price of the average hardback.

There's also a floor standing bookholder, but that of course is a lot more expensive!

Your local bookshop may stock Book Chairs. Also, they are available on various internet sites (including Amazon).

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    Thanks Kevin sorry didn't see you there !
    Welcome from me too!
    Will get onto that item right now!

(post written twice first one must be in cyberspace)
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Hiya Bronte Welcome to the Forum.They really are a great bunch of people here.I had my hip replaced in September and the messages of care,love and support were fantastic.There is always someone who has the knowledge to help.Also the Chit Chat forum is a great tension reliever and a lorra lorra laughs :):):):)
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    A quick welcome from me too bronte

hope you enjoy the forums and i am sure you will find it useful

Juliepf x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Hi Bronte and welcome!

Think you will find a lot of book lovers on here.......there was a thread a while ago on Chit Chat asking what kind of books did everyone read..........

I can no longer read looking down, hurts my neck too much. Will have a look at the book gadget mentioned by Kevin...at the moment just propping my book against a couple more!

Annie
  • scorpio
    scorpio Member Posts: 159
    Options
    hi bronte, nice to read/meet you
    i hope you are feeling better and can indulge in your favourite pastime........
    my name is chris