Vitamins

Options
Africa
Africa Member Posts: 22
edited 22. Nov 2010, 15:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI i'm new :shock: still waiting to see Rheumatologist after my appointmnets got messed up ...waitings hard I've started taking vitamins etc I'm under no illusion that this will cure me but I have to do somethning constructive and dare not try and exercise until they tell me what to do plus Husbands in hospital and I have no time. I'm taking Fish oils , multi vit and Glucosamine any others perhaps calcium?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to the forums, africa, I admire your spirit in trying to do something to help yourself but I fear you are right when you say that it won't cure you. What type of arthritis do you fear you have? When do you hope to see the rheumatologist? If this is your first appointment it is worth noting everything you can think of in connection with your pain/stiffness/discomfort - what triggers things, what helps to alleviate pain (heat or cold), which joint/s are affected, this will help him get a better picture of you as we each vary so much in how our arthritis affects us. I hope your husband is on the mend. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi Africa

I think taking the vits, fish oil etc is a good idea at the moment to boost yourself,going into the hospital regularly must put you at risk of getting colds,viruses,infection etc. Anything is better than nothing but they won't cure you.

Look after yourself,get plenty of rest, eat properly, exercise gently if possible until you see Rheumy.

Godd luck

Janie
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi africa

welcome to the forum

I reckon you are doing the right thing by trying to help yourself.
    atleast until you get the right medication or advice from your gp/rhummy dr.

I hope you dont have to wait long
    and hope that your husband is soon home and well.

juliepf x
  • Africa
    Options
    I dont know which flavour I've got - knowing me something on the rare and idiosyncratic type!!!! - its weird even affects my jaw find it hurts when I try and open mouth properly...... God help the dentist. Husband seems to be turning the corner but nearly lost leg after a scratch basically on his toe from paddling in the sea in the Seychelles you would not believe the drama. And the thaught of me trying to help him recouperate after an amputaion being 6ft 4 inches and 16 stone and me with the R not funny, so fingers crossed it will all work out hes been in for 8 days now. I'm off to see the results for CA now after a biopsy...I will keep going I will keep going I will keep going. :roll: :!:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Rest as much as you can. That is often key with any from of arthritis. I empathise with the 'big husband' bit - my Pa was 6' 4" so a good height in my opinion! I hope they can save his leg, what a worry for the two of you. Rest, rest and rest some more, africa, and come on here to vent and rant. We do understand, we will do our best to help you thro this rough patch. (understatement of the day, sorry - it's still early and I am tired!) I hope you get to the rheumatologist soon. DD
  • Africa
    Options
    A big thanks - off to the Hospital...least its only £1 a day good value I think..... fingers corssed
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Africa,
    Sorry just catching up....been having computer problems.
    I thinbk you are right being pro active.....it makes you feel better if you are in charge until at least you see the consultant.
    You are under no illusions about them curing you so go ahead....they probably will do some good....over things possible LOL like immunity towards colds etc.
    I dont know about anyone else but i would say dont waste you money on the glucosamine.....so many reports recently saying that it doesnt work for arthritis.
    Let us know what happens
    Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi africa

a huge welcome from me too :D
    Good to meet you.

I did that - took loads of stuff and it may have helped I don't know, but It helps to try doens't it?

You are so wise to rest when you can - they will help your hubby to help himself at the hospital so try not to worry too much. I am glad you have each other. you will have empathy for each other.

Love

toni xx
  • Africa
    Options
    Back from Hospital - biopsy was not cancerous only PreCancerous sooooooooo lucky :D they say they can fix it. It was so naughty of my husband, I told him I'd go and see him after the consultaion on his ward but he had them wheel him down.
    The porter was really confused when they had a man to take to the gynae ward. :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Africa, that sounds like better news for you - congratulations. Yup, they can fix many types of cancer when found early enough so that is a good thing. Do you know when you will see a rheumatologist? Hopefully it's soon. DD
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Africa

I'm very pleased to hear that it's pre cancerous, caught in time! Will he still have to have any treatment?

Now you can concentrate on you

Janie
  • Africa
    Options
    No dont know when appointment will be - tried to find the 'first appoinments dept' to try my charm offensive to see where I was on the list but they are situated in some inner scanctum only accessable by phone so will just have to wait.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Africa,
    Big welcome to the forum from me too. Great news about your husband’s results. Fingers crossed that he will start on the road to recovery very soon.
    As to the vitamins there is no harm in the fish oils as it has other benefits as well as being good for Arthur. We have all tried supplements with various results. I tried the Rose hip ones which I thought helped when I first started but that could have been wishful thinking.
    Good luck with getting your first Rheumy appointment. I hope it is sooner than you think.
    Lv, Ix