Options
coco67
coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
edited 9. Dec 2010, 14:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
i have OA and also suffer fatigue

im sure some of the others have mentioned it as well

welcome to the board riseard

coco xx

im sure some of the others will come along with more info over the next few days

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi Riseard,

sorry having to type one handed but welcome to the forums, they are a good lot here.

i think all things that make pain can and do cause tiredness. you have more than one thing going on there and well i think fatigue comes with that as well.

i wonder if a chat with your gp could help to get better or different pain management, maybe that could help you?

i have oa but also some other things that can make fatigue so don't really know the answer but pain and worry can do it.

i hope things will get a bit easier for you and nice to meet you. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi riseard, I don't have OA but I think that tiredness is a common factor to all the arthritic conditions. Constant pain causes all sort of knock-on effects: there is the strain of coping with every-day life, it impacts on sleep, it has an effect on one's temper, it does wear one down. Unless one has arthritis oneself one has no idea. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    OA, fatigue? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......... sorry just having a snooze, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, ooooooeeerrrrrr did I drop off? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, ???? what, lunch time already????

Nah, just being funny, I don't fall asleep in the morning, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, ?????what afternooneses already??? There's nothing like a nice cuppa! I suppose I better try and do something today. zzzzzzzz
    8) Its a grin, honest!
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    HI Riseard and welcome.

having OA does make you more fatigued. Mainly because everyday activities take more effort, battling pain saps the energy, you may well sleep less well and some meds can make you feel tired too.

SPeedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi Riseard, I get a lot of fatigue aswell, I have OA, PsA and Gouty Arthritis and a number of other conditions. I often have nights where I cannot sleep, some of my medication list fatigue as side affects, and just day to day activity makes mw want to sleep...

Mark
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    Hi

Good to meet you

I believe it is common with OA - I expect lack of decent and quality sleep is relevant, but is also common in inflammatory arthritis.

To the point where you can be so tired you sleep and sleep...

I presume you have had bloods taken to rule this out?

Love

Toni xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    Professionals have described fatigue {due to arthur} to me as no energy, not being able to do much, not really wanting to do much.
    They say the other is tiredness.
    Whatever.......I have OA and do know that pain causes fatigue, pain cause lack of, or broken sleep. It also takes a lot of energy to fight the pain so not much else left for everyday things...but my GP says that is not fatigue in the arthritis sense...just tiredness....I disagree.....just for a change :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Have you had a test for RA, as some people can have both OA and RA? With RA you also have problems with your immune system and your body wants you to rest and recover, rather than the straightforward joint wear associated with OA. This addition then gives you typical symptoms of fatigue.

With over 200 variations of arthritis you can get all sorts of combinations of problems, sort of 'mix and match'.

Joseph t1614.gif
    Josephm0310.gif
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Riseard
    we;come to the forum

I don't have OA I have RA and I too am always very tired.

Probably cause everything takes so much effort.
    I dont think it matters what arthritis you have I reckon eveyone will suffer with tiredness/fatigue at some point

Some days are better than others for me.

Hope you get a tired free day soon

juliepf
  • Vishal
    Vishal Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi Riseard and Julie

Whether its RA/ OA, your fatigue levels will be directly or indirectly linked to your digestion as described by my consultant.

He says -Try eating food only when you are hungry, eat in small quatities and eat only half your digestive capacity at one given time.

This has definately helped me. Also if you have a pinch of dry Ginger and Turmeric powder with hot water after every meal it will help your digestion being active, which will indirectly help you combat fatigue.

Hope it helps...
    Cheers

Vishal.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    Vishal

This is a new one on me, but thanks very much - worth a try at any rate - costs nothing to try!

Good to meet you - can I welcome you to our forums?

Love

toni xx
  • Vishal
    Options
    Thanks Toni

I was suffering from joint pains too and it has helped me not only with fatigue , but also with digestion, pains and aches.

And like you said it costs nothing.
    Just make sure that its good quality of Turmeric and Ginger powder and lukewarm water is most improtant.

Let me know once you have tried it.

Cheers
    Vishal
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I have OA plus sero negative arther as well as other health problems between the illness and medication some days I can just drop through being so tired I find it hard to get comfy enough to drop off at night TATT ( tired all the time ) comes from many things but illnesses and the precribed medication are always reasons for it I've also got an underactive thyroid and diabetes both of which causes tiredness , as said coping with it all is a good enough reason to get yourself a few naps
  • Bookseverywhere
    Bookseverywhere Member Posts: 196
    Options
    I can only speak from my own experience, but yes fatigue can be an issue (I have RA and OA).

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I suffer from tiredness/fatigue every now and again. I put it down to the meds and also how I am feeling, not only physically but mentally too. I used to nap but rarely do now because I get up later. I sleep well since recently having been prescribed amitriptyline for another complaint, which is renowned for making one sleep better.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • spacey
    spacey Member Posts: 126
    Options
    one of the things I struggle with most is fatigue. It started when my ulcerative colitis and arthritis started and has never left me. I no longer try to describe it to people as they will say Oh yes i am tired too - but I feel it is different - its like walking through treacle in a concrete suit while some one has there foot on your head and are pushing you down in to the ground. Its rotten.
    p.s I found some useful info on the web site about fatigue x
  • Vishal
    Options
    So Toni

Have you tried the ginger+turmeric powder mix ...?

Warm regards
    Vishal